login

Author Topic: ..."Crippling Asperger's Syndrome?"  (Read 20125 times)

anais.jude

Re: ..."Crippling Asperger's Syndrome?"
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »
You should read some Foucault. :)

That is a TERRIBLE thing to say

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »

HANS DOES NOT APPROVE

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline GrantM

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 07:45:27 AM »
When I first heard it, I thought he said "Crippling Ass-Burgers Syndrome"... I didn't even want to ask.. :speechless:

As someone with Aspergers, I hear that quite a bit

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »
Doctors need to stop coming up with easily misunderstood and mocked names for diseases. Those afflicted suffer enough as it is without having to deal with being called ass-burgers, too. ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 07:59:51 AM »
Actually it is the limitation of the English language, or maybe a limitation of the human ability to vocalize the distinction between "p" and "b" sounds.
On timeout

GLaDOS

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
And Rachel Ray.
Rachel Ray gave me back my determination to bake cakes & cook for all my special guests. If not for her I wouldn't have all the delicious cakes I bake.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 06:14:39 AM »
Rachael Ray cooks?  I thought she only ate Dunkin Donuts and made stupid shit out of triscuits and wheat thins

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »
Rachael Ray cooks?  I thought she only ate Dunkin Donuts and made stupid shit out of triscuits and wheat thins

And stares vacuously at the camera with a no-nervous-system kind of smile, laughing like a 10 year old boy whose voice just changed.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
According to Wikipedia...
"Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or enjoy spontaneous interests or achievements with others, a lack of social or emotional reciprocity...
...they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave."
Not to sound insensitive, but...  Since when is that a "disease" (or disorder, or what-the-hell-ever)?

Hey, I think I'm going to create a new one, for the inability to take a shower.  I'll call it Tedthatguywhoworksinthemailroom Syndrome.  Symptoms include reeking like a decaying skunk and wearing the same clothes for 2 weeks straight.  Coincidentally, victims of this debilitating illness also find difficulty making friends in life.

(I'm going to stop now before I go on one of my rants about how every damn thing gets classified as a "disease" these days.)

It really is a disorder, a kind of autism. I know someone  who has it. Trust me, if you met him, you'd know there was a problem, although he really is a nice person and extremely intelligent.

That said, I didn't think anyone was trying to be mean with the joke. As several have mentioned, the riffers do joke about all kinds of things. Personally, I never take the Italian jokes badly. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:47:58 AM by PlayMSTie »
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Gaseous Snake

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »
I didn't take the word crippling to mean that anyone who had it couldn't function. I figured (and I might be wrong) that some have it more severly than others. I figure that any disorder, injury, or sickness can get to a that point if it's severe enough.

That's pretty much what I took it to mean as well. Not that Asperger's itself is a crippling disorder, but that Superman's case of it was particularly severe.

Like Superman's other attributes, his Asperger's is powered by the yellow sun.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »
I didn't take the word crippling to mean that anyone who had it couldn't function. I figured (and I might be wrong) that some have it more severly than others. I figure that any disorder, injury, or sickness can get to a that point if it's severe enough.

That's pretty much what I took it to mean as well. Not that Asperger's itself is a crippling disorder, but that Superman's case of it was particularly severe.

Like Superman's other attributes, his Asperger's is powered by the yellow sun.

Damn you, sun!

If only there was some way to blot it out and spare Superman from his crippling disease...

Doctor Who?

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »
As someone with Asperger's Syndrome I would just like to say that was the joke I laughed hardest at.

It does make it tough to have friends,i don't think there are more then 4 or 5 people ever in my whole life so far that i would call friends.

I don't know why but I was able to laugh about it.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
So uh, how can you tell the difference between Asperger's and just being awkward and shy?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »
So uh, how can you tell the difference between Asperger's and just being awkward and shy?

Well for one thing i was tested a few years ago.

It's hard to explain to people who don't have it but for one thing I am completely unable to tell when people try to just give me a q for something like that i have told them something before.  Also I tend to not be able to remember if i have told someone something before even if i just told them so i will sometimes tell someone about something two to four time in a row and not relise I have done it.  Also I tend not to complete sentences all the time and a lot of the time people have to leave the room to get me to stop talking becouse I just can't tell if they want or need me to stop.
Also it makes writing anything very hard,but for some reason reading is easy.  I spent most of my childhood reading books but i always have trouble spelling. Also I find it hard to do two diforant things with my hands,I am 22 and i have been trying since I was 16 but i have not been able to pass my drivers test.

But enough about me,the point is I nearly choked on chex I was eating when they made that riff.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 05:09:30 AM »

But enough about me,the point is I nearly choked on chex I was eating when they made that riff.

Did you choke on chex in a good way, or in a bad way?  Cuz I know nobody was writing joke maliciously in order to offend.
On timeout