Author Topic: Did I miss an announcement?  (Read 16635 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: Did I miss an announcement?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »
Oh yeah, just made my no-DRM version of ACT YOUR AGE.  Suck it divx.
On timeout

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Oh yeah, just made my no-DRM version of ACT YOUR AGE.  Suck it divx.

We still haven't heard any alternatives from you guys who huff and puff about DivX all the time. We know DRM is a hot-button issue, but sometimes it's still necessary (I point to the Cinematic  Titanic's inability to distribute online as a recent example - even the rights holder for BRAIN OF BLOOD doesn't want his intellectual property stolen and pirated! Can you believe that guy!)

We do have some other ideas kicking around we're waiting to try out, so until then, continue to let us know how much you love / hate DivX!

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 03:27:43 AM »
Honestly, after you guys started releasing the mp3 version of the shorts, it's a non-issue for me now.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:11 AM »
Honestly, after you guys started releasing the mp3 version of the shorts, it's a non-issue for me now.
Yeah, I'm basically fine with this.  The way I see it, the people who a) know what DRM is and b) dislike it enough to not want to use it at all are also the people who c) can make their own DVD authors.  So I'm happy just doing that. I've started an archive folder with that "disc" in it, and I'll reauthor Santa Claus tonight (Haven't seen the RT version of that yet, so that'll be fun), and either add them to shorter RT's in the beginning or make a "shorts" disc when there are enough out.

That's kind of what I'm doing.  I figure, at the size these are rendering to, one DVD should hold about 8 of them at full resolution.
Of course, given that these are Public Domain shorts, Rifftrax could put together a disc of their own eventually (hint hint).

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »
yup, as long as the mp3 file is included and the film is available as a freebie someplace, I'm happy.

Since you asked, I still hate DRM  ;)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »

And you still haven't suggested a better method for VOD.

Since we're discussing DRM, here is my question.  One of the main talking points about DRM is that "I paid for this file, I should be able to use it however I want to."

This seems absurd.  It would be a valid point if we said "You can put this on an Ipod or use it however else you want to."  But we don't.  We say "You can watch it on a computer or a Divx enabled player."  The "Not being able to use this how I want" argument applies to DVDs - you can't watch them in a VHS player.  But that's an idiotic complaint.

DISCLAIMER: In any case, I would prefer a file that does not have restrictions.  I would prefer to be able to use a file wherever I want to.  But it doesn't seem like the above is a valid complaint when you know outright that you can't use the file that way.  And yes, we're still taking suggestions for a better way to run VOD.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

And you still haven't suggested a better method for VOD.
Honestly, a DVD to purchase is probably the only other real option I'd go for.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
Might I suggest this as an alternative?

Or

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »
Ah yes.. 'Jurassic' Technology! Nice

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
No, it's more like saying, "You can buy this CD and listen to it as long as you're doing it on a Sony player, and one that's connected to direct current. You can't take it off direct current or use a Magnavox."

Actually, that's still not a good analogy. The best one I can think of is Xbox Live marketplace, or better yet, any modern cable company's DVR set-top box.

You can download the media to your console, but you have to play it on that device. There are some portability options (Xbox can move files to Zune, and some DVRs can move things via USB to a computer or what have you). But even in those cases, especially DVR boxes, you'll probably need to setup an account on their website and link the account to your set-top box.

"Why can't I just grab the Windows Media file from the Xbox and play it on my DVD player?" you might ask. Well, simple - you'd need to re-encode the file, and potentially remove any DRM rights Microsoft has enabled on it. Sure, it's not the best solution (I, too, would prefer a 100% unencumbered file most of the time) but the fact remains that if you are willing to deal with the "hassle" of only watching the video on your Xbox or Zune, then there really is no problem.

I do disagree with DivX's method of "requiring" an active Internet Connection. I think once you've downloaded the DivX file you should be able to watch it on a plane if you want, but right now that doesn't seem to be the case. Since the technology is still relatively new I'm sure there will be changes that'll make it less of a headache for the anti-DRM crowd, and again, we're always taking feedback and suggestions into consideration.

Just remember, "Suck it DivX!" and "Stay away from DRM!" don't make very good feedback.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
I'll admit I don't know of any better solution to the VOD problem, but I'm an old guy and don't require much in the way of "on demand" save for what the cable company offers. So yeah, I'm probably out of touch somewhat and don't care as much about it except to note that it makes me grumpy.

The fact that you provide the mp3 for people to "do it themselves" is a great solution for those who are capable of re-authoring (I like it very much!). For those who aren't re-author savvy, perhaps a Rifftrax Player offering would be a substitue for DivX... I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if that's a viable solution or not.

Regardless, I can understand you guys getting sick of the complaints without getting any reasonable suggestions in return. I know you're just trying to provide a service to as many people as possible.

(I think Conor hates me  :( )
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »
No, it's more like saying, "You can buy this CD and listen to it as long as you're doing it on a Sony player, and one that's connected to direct current. You can't take it off direct current or use a Magnavox."

Ignoring the straw-man-ness of your analogy, I still don't see why in your example, you would purchase that CD and then complain that you couldn't do stuff with it that you weren't assured you'd be able to do.  You would either not buy it or you would use it in the manner the product allows you to. 

This Playstation game doesn't play in my Xbox!  This is outrageous!  I should be able to use it how I want to!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:55:24 AM by Conor »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
I'll admit I don't know of any better solution to the VOD problem, but I'm an old guy and don't require much in the way of "on demand" save for what the cable company offers. So yeah, I'm probably out of touch somewhat and don't care as much about it except to note that it makes me grumpy.

The fact that you provide the mp3 for people to "do it themselves" is a great solution for those who are capable of re-authoring (I like it very much!). For those who aren't re-author savvy, perhaps a Rifftrax Player offering would be a substitue for DivX... I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if that's a viable solution or not.

Regardless, I can understand you guys getting sick of the complaints without getting any reasonable suggestions in return. I know you're just trying to provide a service to as many people as possible.
I agree! I'm not too out of touch with the Divx & Vod things, but for me it's just more trouble than it's worth. I'll wait for the Shorts to be released on DVD, and continue using mp3 files when available for my RiffTrax enjoyment :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
For what it is worth, I actually like DIvX.    :)

I guess the "Powers that be" have to determine how they are better served:

1.   Use DivX, cut way down on piracy and lose some customers.
2.   Use something like EZTAKES, increase customers, but lose some sales due to increased piracy.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
It's not so bad to gather around a computer for 15 minutes to watch a short. I mean, heck it cost 99 cents. Maybe I can't witness ALL the majesty of "A Visit to Santa" in glorious hi-def on my 40 inch, but it looks pretty spiffy on my computer monitor and I don't feel the experience has been compromised. If they can figure out a way to burn these files to a disc so I could play it on my DVD player, that'd be peachy, but all the pirates out there make for unsafe waters. Precautions need to be taken. If we could wipe out piracy everywhere, all the time, then maybe we'd get something that works in a DVD player. 'til then, this is better than nothing. :^)