login

Author Topic: Any movies we ALL like?  (Read 22039 times)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Re: Any movies we ALL like?
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2006, 10:24:59 AM »
All right, let's steer back to the topic, now. :^)

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

Okay...how about The Flying Deuces?
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
Has anyone said they dislike MST3K:TM yet? 
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2972
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »
Almost too easy. :^)

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »
Really. A good question even outside of the forum. Has anyone ever known someone to NOT like it?
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2006, 12:13:49 PM »
Really. A good question even outside of the forum. Has anyone ever known someone to NOT like it?
A friend of mine didn't like it because she only liked Joel. This wasn't a veteran of the fanboard wars or anything, she just kind of disliked Mike. It wasn't really a fair comparison, though, because the only episodes she'd seen (as far as I know) were Pod People and I Accuse My Parents, and almost anything else would be a let down at that point.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2006, 01:30:53 PM »

http://www.moria.co.nz/sf/mst3k.htm

This person clearly has no sense of humor, although I do agree with some of his other reviews.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2006, 01:51:04 PM »
Speaking of which, does anyone not like Song of the South? Now that's a great movie.

Yeah, I can't think of anything funnier than dated ethnic sterotypes.

You've never seen the movie before in your life. It's a wonderful film with a good message.

That's true, I haven't seen it. But that's only because Disney's made it damn near impossible to find. I figured there's probably a reason they're ashamed of it. (Although they don't seem to be ashamed of crap like Kronk's New Groove...)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »
Actually they're trying to hide it because they're afraid everyone would see an ethnic stereotype. There was really nothing bad about how other races were portrayed. Dumbo came under some fire too for the same reason. :^)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2006, 02:27:30 PM »

To borrow Carlos Mencia's philosophy regarding racist stereotyping, the best way to respect other people is to make fun of them (and yourself as well).  ;D

I won't go into modern Disney (which I hate more than I've ever hated anything ever before, and I hate ALOT of stuff), but classic Disney rocked, and Dumbo was one of my favorites. I don't see how anyone could not love that movie. It actually had a pretty good message too, in my opinion.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
Yeah, but those crows were awful black! Seriously, it's not like they were portrayed as bad people. It's no worse than all the Irish cops you see in old cartoons.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2006, 02:43:38 PM »
   I won't go into modern Disney (which I hate more than I've ever hated anything ever before, and I hate ALOT of stuff), but classic Disney rocked, and Dumbo was one of my favorites. I don't see how anyone could not love that movie. It actually had a pretty good message too, in my opinion.

Dumbo got grief because the crows were considered by some to be offensive.  I mean, they're crows, y'know.  Which are black.  And they're voiced by.. *gasp*... black men!  And then they launch into an ensemble jazz number!  My god, it's worse than cross burning.

The fact that the crows are among the most sympathetic characters in the film -- in fact, are the only sympathetic characters beyond Dumbo, Mrs. Jumbo, and Timothy Mouse -- apparently slid right by the political correctness brigade.

Oh, and people were also pissed that the roustabouts were black.  I personally never worked with a traveling circus in the early 1940's, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the manual labor force was not a model of progressive ethnic diversity.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:46:07 PM by Steve-O »

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:48 PM »

Dumbo got grief because the crows were considered by some to be offensive.  I mean, they're crows, y'know.  Which are black.  And they're voiced by.. *gasp*... black men!  And then they launch into an ensemble jazz number!  My god, it's worse than cross burning.

The fact that the crows are among the most sympathetic characters in the film -- in fact, are the only sympathetic characters beyond Dumbo, Mrs. Jumbo, and Timothy Mouse -- apparently slid right by the political correctness brigade.

Oh, and people were also pissed that the roustabouts were black.  I personally never worked with a traveling circus in the early 1940's, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the manual labor force was not a model of progressive ethnic diversity.
Well, Uncle Tom is a pretty sympathetic character too- broad stereotypes and embarrassing portrayals are bad for being dehumanizing, not for making characters unlikable (although I don't want to think through the idea of dehumanizing anthropomorphic crows.) People shouldn't dismiss great art because it has queasy elements, though; even Birth of a Nation, which rivals Triumph of the Will for horrible politics, is worth watching for what makes it good, regardless of all the stuff in it that's bad.

And old school Disney animation is lovely. Fantasia, for instance- I don't actually care for the conceit in a lot of parts, since I find it annoying not to be able to think of a classical piece without dancing hippos getting involved, but it's visually amazing. And the part with the demon king of night is among the best things I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:06:36 PM by 6079SmithW »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »
Hey. Now we're getting somewhere! OK. Anyone have a problem with Disney's Alice in Wonderland?

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2006, 05:04:52 PM »
Hey. Now we're getting somewhere! OK. Anyone have a problem with Disney's Alice in Wonderland?

Only that it's bears only a passing resemblance to the books. The movie's okay on its own - but it could be much better.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
Well, Uncle Tom is a pretty sympathetic character too- broad stereotypes and embarrassing portrayals are bad for being dehumanizing, not for making characters unlikable (although I don't want to think through the idea of dehumanizing anthropomorphic crows.)

True enough.  My point is that, for allegedly being blatantly racist, the crows come off as more intelligent, creative, and decent, than any other supporting character in the film.  Yeah, there are some elements of the characterizations that border on cheap stereotypes, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many films made before World War II that don't dip into that well.  In Dumbo's case, I see no malice in it.

People shouldn't dismiss great art because it has queasy elements, though; even Birth of a Nation, which rivals Triumph of the Will for horrible politics, is worth watching for what makes it good, regardless of all the stuff in it that's bad.

I couldn't agree more.

I also think it's important that the sketchy elements remain in place for their historical value.  If the zeitgeist of the early 20th century was that a little casual racism was perfectly acceptable, it's important that people be able to witness that through the arts.  If it inspires the audience to regret or outrage, all the better.  Whitewashing over the ugly truth doesn't do anybody any good. 

You have to know which direction you came from if you don't want to accidentally end up back there.