Author Topic: Deep space 9: Far beyond the stars.  (Read 3526 times)

Doctor Who?

Re: Deep space 9: Far beyond the stars.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »
I don't understand what is so bad about the acting in Ds9.

There where some bad moments in the first season but that is pretty much pare for the course with every TV show.  By season two the actors had found their characters and I can't think of moments off the top of my head when they didn't do a good job.

The acting was miles better then a lot of other shows on American tv at the time(Including Babylon 5 where the actors sometime look like they are in a high school play),the actors really seemed to be their characters.

But then again what do i know I liked Keri,and the only romance that felt forced to me was the Bashier and Dax 2.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
so just to make this clear, you wanted an Atypical war type story between space aliens and an intergalatic UN?  And what would that look like? my guess is any arnie movie to include but not exclusive to junior. 

• Compsognathus
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 08:55:12 PM »
that brings up something thats ALWAYS bugged me.  why does everyone think ptsd is so common?  You want cliche, thats your friggen cliche.  literally HUNDREDS of thousands of troops have come back from this war (not to mention all the others and the first gulf war)  and the way the media portrays it youd think that one rotation in iraq is all anyone can do before they get sent to the insane asymlem despite the existance of all those careers officers and NCOS.  Soldiers fight battles, we kill people, we live despite people trying to kill us.  we come back, then we do it again.  Thats the nature of all things. 

• Compsognathus
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 01:48:06 PM »
i was speaking more in general (and about the real world) more than towards a tv show. 

• Compsognathus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
im confused regardless of the war the way the media portrays it is pretty much the same.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »
i dunno, i hear lots of ptsd stories from vietnam but not from korea or WWII, of course ill bet the draft and the way they were treated had something to do with it. 

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »
I've heard stories about shellshock from WWII, but you have to actually look for them. I think it has something to do with this "greatest generation" image WWII vets have and how the popular cliche of WWII is of plucky young American soldiers fighting the good fight against the evil Nazis with stoicism and comradery; it makes talking about mentally-wounded WWII vets kind of sacriligious. As opposed to that, Vietnam is the stereotypical "horror of war" war that represents unwilling draftees trapped in brutal, savage chaos, and the cliche of the soldier with PTSD fits right in with that image.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
yeah, although i wish i had some actual #s

• Compsognathus
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
perhaps but i think in a lot of ways this war is lot more damaging mentally.  the type of work we are doing is worse than trench warfare.  the enemy is invisible, and they hide in the populous. we have to kick down doors.  and lets not forget the power congress has over it now.  thats mindlessly stupid.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
Thats the people who have signs right off.  PTSD can take years before it affects people.  I haven't had any problems other than a few bad dreams, but I wonder sometimes if something might happen a couple years down the road.  I still have until October before my time is up.  I could still be deployed again before then.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »
Suicides also are not specificly caused by PTSD though

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 04:38:18 PM »
PTSD is very real, and it does change and even destroy people.

I know a guy who's like a GENIUS, literally. He could read at college level by fourth grade, had an I.Q. over 140, etc. But he had a lot of issues dealing with normal people, and as a result in school was subject to a lot of abuse from other kids. He couldn't do well in school due to what was described as a form of "battle fatigue" from constantly being attacked by other kids in various ways. He became clinically depressed and may have ended up doing a school shooting/suicide eventually.

The system's wonderful solution was to lock him up, even tho he had NO criminal record, in a "residential educational facility" that was basically a prison with no oversight, where the "experts" practiced "therapy" that consisted of constant degradation, humiliation, psychological abuse and mental torture.

They also did things that would have been ILLEGAL in any prison in the US.

They people running the place made a lot of money on it all, given that "institutionalization" was a fad at the time.

The guy came out with severe PTSD, never went to college, never got a job, etc. Eventually he died of personal neglect, the result of just literally having his mind systematically crushed by the "educational therapy center" he was imprisoned at.

He died of PTSD, pure and simple. I couldn't help him. No one could after a year in that place.

Yeah, PTSD is real, and it can be fatal.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
PTSD did exist in WWII, I know because my grandfather went through it. And his experience was very similar to Vietnam and Iraq; he was a Lieutenant with the British Army fighting the Japanese in Southeast Asia. The only thing he has ever told me about that tour of duty was that it was a good day if he came out of the jungle with only a 75% casualty rate. My grandmother mentioned that when he came back at the end of the War he had horrible insomnia, nightmares, and inexplicable nervous shakes for about a year afterwards. And to top it all off his sons didn't recognize him as their father since he was away for the first 5 years of their lives and that made his transition to civilian life that much more difficult.

Thankfully, he is still alive today and he gives a very special meaning to Rememberance Day for me every year.

To my grandfather!*raising a glass of Guiness in his honour*
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't.

Always remember... where ever you go, there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai & Pig Killer

• Compsognathus
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
imrahil you didnt read that article very closely.  the main reason it cited was increased ops tempo aka the amount time spent away from families.  NPR morning edition talked about this very article friday.  They also cited the relationships problem as the main issue.  Its no surprise that divorce rates are skyrocketing at the same time that suicide rates are rising.  further you glossed over the creepy fact that the CIVILIAN suicide rate is still higher than the military rate.  Is that due to ptsd as well?

• Compsognathus
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 06:38:51 PM »
woot for me the only point ive EVER made on this point that someone agreed with me on lol. can i frame this thread?  its like winning the lottery