login

Author Topic: Breaking bad, you watching it?  (Read 87488 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: Breaking bad, you watching it?
« Reply #915 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
The thing that has been bothering me about the finale is that there didn't seem to be an exit wound to Walt's injury. I'm thinking that an M60 firing AP rounds has enough velocity to be able to pass through the cinder block and then right through Walt, unless it ricocheted off of something. Did anyone in the room get a shot off before they were shredded to pieces? Maybe Todd's uncle?

I kind of assumed he was hit by a bullet from the frantic fire of the gang, but then again I don't remember if they were explicitly shown firing back/wildly into the air. A 7.62 high velocity round would have done some serious damage, but it was going through the car's trunk, cinder block walls, and whatever else might have been in the way. Maybe it was a fragment or shrapnel.

Also, I may be wrong on this. They didn't show Walt acquire the M60, did they? If not it's a pretty big plot point, you cant just go pick up an M60 from craigslist and Walt was seriously isolated with no contacts left.   

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #916 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
Also, I may be wrong on this. They didn't show Walt acquire the M60, did they? If not it's a pretty big plot point, you cant just go pick up an M60 from craigslist and Walt was seriously isolated with no contacts left.

That was shown in the opening flash forward which aired last year at the beginning of the season.  Walt knows an arms dealer.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #917 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »

That was shown in the opening flash forward which aired last year at the beginning of the season.  Walt knows an arms dealer.

Played by the ever delightful Jim Beaver.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #918 on: October 16, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DvGCYyZPYPg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DvGCYyZPYPg</a>

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #919 on: October 19, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »
So how's Low Winter Sun doing now that it doesn't have "being right after Breaking Bad" to rely on for viewers?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #920 on: October 19, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
So how's Low Winter Sun doing now that it doesn't have "being right after Breaking Bad" to rely on for viewers?

Great season one

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #921 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
I don't like that Walt was about to get his way with the money by coercing Gretchen and Elliott into laundering his drug money.

I loved that. It was comeuppance for their own douchebaggery, but in a way that seemed genuinely proportional.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #922 on: October 23, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
How did they get that baby to act so well and say Mamama? That was prooty dang good if you ask me.

I listened to a commentary track and the baby's mother is always just off screen and it was just a happy accident that it said mama a couple of times.  Cranston just acted through it and that's the take they used.

That's a perfect microcosm of just why the show was so top-to-bottom brilliant. Yes, Vince Gilligan had a very specific idea and vision of how he wanted the series to play out; but, he wasn't so inflexible that he couldn't see the happy accidents that happened all along the series' making, and use them to make Breaking Bad even better.

Such adaptability might have saved us all from the deeply-shitty, 100%-irredeemable ending to Battlestar Galactica:)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #923 on: November 07, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
Looks like my dream is coming true!  While Better Call Saul will be a prequel, it will also be a sequel!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-saul-goodman-breaking-bad-spinoff-may-be-both,105288/

Thank you!  This could have lots of great potential: maybe it's a reverse Breaking Bad, about a Saul turning into a better man... in his own scummy way (like maybe using unlawful, underhanded tactics to save an orphanage or something).

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 823
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #924 on: November 08, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
My wife was in Albuquerque and got me some Blue Sky!!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #925 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
TUCKER! TUCKER, SHUT THE DAMN DOOR!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #926 on: November 16, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4840
« Reply #927 on: November 17, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
Breaking open the disk.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hu2bdpxpt94" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hu2bdpxpt94</a>

I'm usually not into opening videos, but it is neat to see Vince Gilligan (AKA southern John Hodgman) open it up.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #929 on: December 12, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
Can't see any of those videos anymore.

Thinking about the series as a whole, particularly the 5th season, if everybody had just listened to Walt and done what he said, things would have turned out great for everybody. This is my entire pro-Walt argument. It was everybody's decision to turn on Walt that ultimately does them in. Walt opens doors left and right to Hank, Skyler and Jesse all the way to the very end. He wants them to share in his winnings, but they are too hung up on what has happened in the past to listen. He tried to buy Hank's life with all his money, tried to get his money to Skyler to help her, but she and Flynn wouldn't take it. So I don't buy this business that it was Walt that destroyed everybody's lives. You look at Walt's actions in the last season and you see a man desperately trying to save not only everything he's worked for, but trying to save Hank, Jesse and Skyler from destroying themselves in their attempts to destroy him. And before anybody calls me a horrible person again, I am speaking about all of this from within in the context of the show. Of course if this was real life, a different set of standards would apply. But it isn't real life, and thus standards of in-world context apply.