Author Topic: Breaking bad, you watching it?  (Read 92263 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Breaking bad, you watching it?
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
One thing I never understood is that Jesse was under investigation, but Gus still let him work at the laundry.  All the cops would have to do is put a tail on him, and he'd lead them right to Gus.  It's pretty dumb on everyone's part.

Were the police really looking at Jesse that hard?   I was thinking it was more Walt.   With police budgets the way they are, they may not have had any money to get a "mole" into the laundry to snoop around.   With what they had, they could not have gotten a search warrant anyway.   Plus, I think the equpment is designed in such a way the police may not have known how to find the underground facility.   

Bin Laden hid in plain sight for a long time and no one noticed.

Then again, they have to have a certain level of "suspension of disbelief".

I wonder how many layers of protection Gus has between him and his drug lab, cartel meetings, etc?   

My guess is the feds are tracking the cartels and that is how they would probably nail Gus in real life.   Or the cartels just turn him in directly.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
I thought that Hank kinda gave up on looking at Jesse pretty quickly.  I can understand him not wanting to go near Jesse himself, after that whole fiasco with the RV and the wrecker and the beating the shit out of Jesse.  Still, you would think the police would have had him as a person of interest given his connection to the blue meth.

I loved the scene in the trailer where Jesse struggles with the decision to slip the ricin in the coffee pot, then doesn't, and a minute later they explicitly cut to a shot of Gus taking a sip of coffee.

Jesse really lost it at the rehab meeting.  You could see the counseler guy trying harder and harder to extend an olive branch, to stop short of telling Jesse what he had done was awful, but Jesse just wouldn't have it.  Then he told them all he was only there to sell crystal meth.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
Also, I guess Skylar was thinking the same thing I was about the car wash money laundering scheme.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:04 AM »
Also, I guess Skylar was thinking the same thing I was about the car wash money laundering scheme.

She seems to be in WAY over here head.   Well, everyone is in over their heads, but her especially.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
One thing I never understood is that Jesse was under investigation, but Gus still let him work at the laundry.  All the cops would have to do is put a tail on him, and he'd lead them right to Gus.  It's pretty dumb on everyone's part.

Were the police really looking at Jesse that hard?   I was thinking it was more Walt.   With police budgets the way they are, they may not have had any money to get a "mole" into the laundry to snoop around.   With what they had, they could not have gotten a search warrant anyway.   Plus, I think the equpment is designed in such a way the police may not have known how to find the underground facility.   

Bin Laden hid in plain sight for a long time and no one noticed.

Then again, they have to have a certain level of "suspension of disbelief".

I wonder how many layers of protection Gus has between him and his drug lab, cartel meetings, etc?   

My guess is the feds are tracking the cartels and that is how they would probably nail Gus in real life.   Or the cartels just turn him in directly.

Yeah, it seems like Hank was the only one worried about Jesse and the blue meth, but I don't think that Walt and Gus knew that.  The DEA is tailing Jesse one day, and the next Jesse's allowed into the secret underground facility.  I don't think that they could possibly know that no one else at the DEA would be following up on it.

I still feel really bad about Gale.  They couldn't have picked a better actor to play him.  I've felt bad for him since Flight Of The Conchords, and some of that pity has carried over to this.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
Well, if it is any consolation, the guy who plays Gale plays a slimey newspaper editor in the last series of "The Wire"!

But yeah, Gale got a raw deal.   Then again, maybe he should not have been involved with drug dealers in the first place.   I do love how Gale's notebook seems like it is going to be everyone's undoing.

Cannot wait to see how this all plays out.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
Well, if it is any consolation, the guy who plays Gale plays a slimey newspaper editor in the last series of "The Wire"!

But yeah, Gale got a raw deal.   Then again, maybe he should not have been involved with drug dealers in the first place.   I do love how Gale's notebook seems like it is going to be everyone's undoing.

Cannot wait to see how this all plays out.

I just finished watching the Wire last night.  I interpreted his character as being a weakling who lived to please the guy in the suspenders.

Spoiler: from The Wire (click to show/hide)
Look at him.  He can't stand that Scott is getting all of Suspender's attention.  I still feel bad for him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:08:28 AM by Kete »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
(posting here as I think there is a big spoiler in the Wire thread)

Yeah, when I see him, I think of Gail too.

And yes, I am TEMPTED to go to HBOGO and watch the finale.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »

Don't worry, that's not a spoiler in The Wire thread.  Thrifty was just making a joke.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »

Don't worry, that's not a spoiler in The Wire thread.  Thrifty was just making a joke.
Yeah, that's why I went so over the top with it.  Real spoilers would be hidden behind a spoiler tag.  I'm not a sociopath.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »

Yeah, that's why I went so over the top with it.  Real spoilers would be hidden behind a spoiler tag.  I'm not a sociopath.

Just to be sure, I'm watching you.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
Check this out.  There was a drug bust in my neighborhood yesterday.  My wife drove through the middle of it taking the kids to school.  Tell me if you think any of this sounds familiar:
The Drug Enforcement Agency scored a big victory in Salt Lake County Tuesday.

Agents were able to finish a long-term investigation into a Mexican drug ring working within the Salt Lake Valley and took down the people they were looking for.

During the 1 1/2-year-long investigation, agents seized more than $500,000 worth of drugs. But more importantly, they say they've knocked down a cell of drug cartel operating in California, Nevada and in Utah.

"We brought the case down by arresting the main target," explained Sue Thomas, supervisory special agent for the DEA.

Agents issued multiple search warrants across the Salt Lake area, one of which was at the Mi Ranchito restaurant in South Salt Lake. Thomas said they seized a significant amount of drugs from these combined seizures.

During their investigation into the Sinaloa cartel, DEA agents have seized over 30 pounds of methamphetamine, a pound of heroin and a kilo of cocaine.
"[We seized] roughly over 30 pounds of methamphetamine, a pound of heroin and a kilo of cocaine," she said.

The drugs, along with $322,000 cash, are now in the custody of the federal government.

DEA Assistant Special Agent in Charge Frank Smith says during the 18-month investigation his agents arrested more than 30 people — including 7 Tuesday at various places across the valley.

One of the most public arrest happened at the Mi Ranchito restaurant at 3600 S. State Street in South Salt Lake. Investigators say one of the restaurant owners was in a command role in the cartel cell.

"Sometimes individuals are not what they appear, and we had some what people thought were legit business people that ran what seemed to be legitimate businesses here and we affected a couple of arrests at businesses across town," Smith said.

Agents say they knocked down a cell of the Sinaloa cartel by arresting people in key roles. They describe the highest ranking ones as multi-pound traffickers.

"When you can arrest command and control structure of any cartel, that's hard to replace," Smith said.

Combined with busts of massive marijuana growing operations in the southern part of the state, officials say they're taking stand against the cartel working their way into Utah.

"We think if we have staunch enforcement and we draw the line in the sand, we'll be able to prevent it," Smith said.

The names of those arrested are not being released yet, and agents expect more arrests — including some in Mexico.

Also, the DEA agent in charge is named Frank:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
That is an amazing conincidence.......   It sounds JUST LIKE "Sex in the City 2"

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
That is an amazing conincidence.......   It sounds JUST LIKE "Sex in the City 2"
Especially since it takes place in Salt Lake.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »
Jesse really lost it at the rehab meeting.  You could see the counseler guy trying harder and harder to extend an olive branch, to stop short of telling Jesse what he had done was awful, but Jesse just wouldn't have it.  Then he told them all he was only there to sell crystal meth.

I'm sure glad Dinklage's getting his Emmy this year, b/c Paul wrapped it up for '12 after the above concluded at the N/A meeting. Oh my god, that was incredible.

How so exactly? I was surprised they hadn't talked about how much he brings in annually prior to the car-wash acquisition. That was more than just a tad bit short-sighted.  

So, what does the cartel want w/ Walt exactly? And Walt Jr. being offered a job by Gus?!! That alone is awesome, but playing w/ the notion that Walt Jr. does indeed work there in the near future, will Hank and/or Walt use him as an inside guy? Come on, they gotta have Walt Jr. do more than eat breakfast!

...and Hank is the mother-fucking man! Welcome back, big-guy!!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein