Author Topic: Spiderman or Hulk Would be cool  (Read 5197 times)

Offline rm31d

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
Re: Spiderman or Hulk Would be cool
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »

I agree with you on most parts, except for the stuff about Terminator 2 and Batman Begins.  They are two movies that deserve all of the hype the get. 

It's good that you got something out of them, but I wasn't very pleased.  Terminator 2 was fun but hardly heavy on brainpower.  Plotholes abounded, just as in Terminator 3, that negate what came in the preceding entry.  It's hard to overlook.  As to Batman Begins, it's unoriginal, like a hodgepodge of Highlander, any Jean-Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal martial arts revenge flick (all interchangable), and the Blade movies with no true voice of its own.  It's a big studio product.  The plotline of the league of shadows joining forces with the scarecrow to poison the city's water supply then vaporize it with a microwave generator to save it from crime (?) is so convoluted and out there that it made me giggle.  It reminded me of those old Penelope Pitstop cartoons where the villain would put her in needlessly complex death traps when he could have just shot her.  Christian Bale must have been told that staring really hard was good acting, because he maintained the expression throughout the entire movie (like Charlie Sheen in any of his movies).  Katie Holmes is stridently rotten and her character is a terrible mistake.  Morgan Freeman is reduced to playing a bit character, just a Q to Bruce Wayne's James Bond (not to mention the token black guy in a suprisingly minority-free Gotham City).  And putting a bag on your head isn't creative costuming.   I've seen worse movies, but I remain firm that it didn't deserve the praise it got.  At least superman returns held a suprise.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 11:19:46 PM »

As to Batman Begins, it's unoriginal, like a hodgepodge of Highlander, any Jean-Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal martial arts revenge flick (all interchangable), and the Blade movies with no true voice of its own.  It's a big studio product.  The plotline of the league of shadows joining forces with the scarecrow to poison the city's water supply then vaporize it with a microwave generator to save it from crime (?) is so convoluted and out there that it made me giggle.  It reminded me of those old Penelope Pitstop cartoons where the villain would put her in needlessly complex death traps when he could have just shot her.  Christian Bale must have been told that staring really hard was good acting, because he maintained the expression throughout the entire movie (like Charlie Sheen in any of his movies).  Katie Holmes is stridently rotten and her character is a terrible mistake.  Morgan Freeman is reduced to playing a bit character, just a Q to Bruce Wayne's James Bond (not to mention the token black guy in a suprisingly minority-free Gotham City).  And putting a bag on your head isn't creative costuming.   I've seen worse movies, but I remain firm that it didn't deserve the praise it got.  At least superman returns held a suprise.

Batman Begins was far from perfect, but Superman Returns was just plain dull. I love Brian Singer's other films, but he just made an even bigger mess of the Superman franchise. Superman's son? Groan.

Offline adhesiveslipper

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 07:14:38 AM »
"batman begins" and "superman returns" were BOTH pretty crap movies. if those were your only exposure to the characters, you'd think that all superman ever did was stand around emotionally discussing relationships with his ex-girlfriend, and you'd think all batman ever did was run over pedestrians with a tank.

the thing that was hardest to take about batman was that i really LIKE christian bale; i think he did a decent job as bruce wayne but i don't know WHAT was going on whenever he was being batman. it was uncomfortable to watch.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »
"batman begins" and "superman returns" were BOTH pretty crap movies. if those were your only exposure to the characters, you'd think that all superman ever did was stand around emotionally discussing relationships with his ex-girlfriend, and you'd think all batman ever did was run over pedestrians with a tank.

the thing that was hardest to take about batman was that i really LIKE christian bale; i think he did a decent job as bruce wayne but i don't know WHAT was going on whenever he was being batman. it was uncomfortable to watch.
Superman Returns would have been a fantastic movie if they'd cut out everything but Lex and Parker Posey's character. On the other hand, making an entertaining Luthor isn't hard, especially when you have Spacey doing it, so that doesn't say much for the filmmaker.

I was extremely underwhelmed by Batman Begins. I would have much preferred something that felt like Batman: Year One to that mishmasch, and they completely wasted Ras, one of the best villians. Also, the climax was extremely annoyingly shot.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »
Superman Returns would have been a fantastic movie if they'd cut out everything but Lex and Parker Posey's character. On the other hand, making an entertaining Luthor isn't hard, especially when you have Spacey doing it, so that doesn't say much for the filmmaker.

I think you'd have to cut out Parker Posey too. But you can keep Kal Penn. He didn't say a word, and did everything for Luthor.