Author Topic: Now that MST has moved to Shout Factory  (Read 10014 times)

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Intelligent, Sensational
    • Easy Talk Cafe
Now that MST has moved to Shout Factory
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
Now that MST3K dvd have moved to shout factory, does this mean the end to any future Film Crew titles?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Now that MST has moved to Shout Factory
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »
Considering that Mike said that Film Crew was done before they released the first disc and Bill's blog (they threw away the set) it is probably a safe bet that there won't be any more Film Crew.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
  • Intelligent, Sensational
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I think I read the same thing you did......but I also read that if the sales were good enough, they may give it another go.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
Yeah, I think I read the same thing you did......but I also read that if the sales were good enough, they may give it another go.

When "Bob Honcho" posted that it just seemed to me as some corporate spinning. The mentality being that if we thought there was never going to be any more releases we wouldn't buy the ones that were coming out.  He last posted before any were released and has never posted since.

At this point the logistics of making new ones would cost way more than the first four. The first four were in the can and ready to go (except for the bob honcho dubbing)
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »
Considering that Mike said that Film Crew was done before they released the first disc and Bill's blog (they threw away the set) it is probably a safe bet that there won't be any more Film Crew.

Four of the top five Shout Factory releases are Film Crew titles. Bill said they were still in talks with Shout, so you never know. Who cares if they threw away the set? I don't see that being a big road block. It's not like they couldn't just film the host segments somewhere else. The only way I see this being a problem is if Mallon specifically said that Shout had to discontinue talks with Mike, Kevin, and Bill in order to get the MST3K license.

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if exactly that happened!!
Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if exactly that happened!!

Can't remember which thread it was in on the boards over there but they say over at Shout! that The Film Crew isn't dead....just on hold while they work on getting the MST3K discs in gear....

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »
So could Bill be purposely misleading us?

Or just not counting any unhatched chickens?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:58:07 AM »
The unhatched chickens part seems more likely.  If there's the slightest bit of uncertainty it seems like they don't like to give us false hope, besides if they don't tell us how possible it is now, it makes it easier to surprise us down the road.   ;)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Kat Rocha

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • 01 Publishing
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:09 PM »
Four of the top five Shout Factory releases are Film Crew titles. Bill said they were still in talks with Shout, so you never know. Who cares if they threw away the set? I don't see that being a big road block. It's not like they couldn't just film the host segments somewhere else. The only way I see this being a problem is if Mallon specifically said that Shout had to discontinue talks with Mike, Kevin, and Bill in order to get the MST3K license.

Why do you think Mallon would do that? I've heard rumors that things arent too good between them all but i don't know why.

-kat
I'm a creator and a publisher. Come see my latest work at 01Publishing.com

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »

Why do you think Mallon would do that? I've heard rumors that things arent too good between them all but i don't know why.

-kat

Basically, he was the money guy, the producer, so he retains the rights to MST3K. Which apparently includes even the format of the show. Not sure what the hangup was with TFC, but they had to hash it out for about 2 years before the shows were even released.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:47:03 AM »
Basically, he was the money guy, the producer, so he retains the rights to MST3K. Which apparently includes even the format of the show. Not sure what the hangup was with TFC, but they had to hash it out for about 2 years before the shows were even released.

If you believe the internets the Film Crew DVDs were supposed to be released by Rhino but Mallon complained and since the MSTs were proven commodities the FC discs were shelved. 

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »
Well the part about the Film Crew being made for Rhino is true, but the rest may indeed be conjecture.  That's why if you watch the dvds every time they say the name Bob Honcho you'll notice the line is being dubbed.  Their boss was originally "Bob Rhino"

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:16:19 PM »
Well the part about the Film Crew being made for Rhino is true, but the rest may indeed be conjecture.  That's why if you watch the dvds every time they say the name Bob Honcho you'll notice the line is being dubbed.  Their boss was originally "Bob Rhino"

Wow . . . You know, I try to like Mallon just for the fact that he allowed something like MST3K to be made, but his bullheadedness makes that so damn hard.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
Well I'm guilty of being pulled into the Mallon-hatred crowd myself, but lately I've been thinking more I want to at least hear his side of it.  Whatever is going on with him and everyone else just isn't talked about by the people actually involved, and what little might be tidbits of info are grabbed and possibly inflated by the fans.

gum.co/RFTthing