login

Author Topic: Rhino no more?  (Read 12302 times)

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rhino no more?
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »

[/quote]

I agree with your reasons for getting the official releases. As far as who gets money from the MST3K DVDs, I know that Joel, Jim, and anyone who currently works at BBI (like Paul) do. There's a possibility that Trace and Kevin may get some money from them since they were involved in the show's early formation, but we don't know that for sure. Fortunately Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic exist, so now the fans can support all the other performers that were involved with the show.
[/quote]

i second that!!
Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!

Offline yamshark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Fight apathy or don't
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
Yes, but the internet versions are often of poorer quality. Plus, I'm happy to show Rhino/Shout that I'm willing to fork over cash for these things so they'll continue making them.

Yup I agree- those guys bring laughter into my sad British life. Thankyous verrs much those guys  :clap:
Jesus! Bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing, intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out!

There is no God, there's just Dude!

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 10:30:39 AM »
The "lost" group of KTMA episodes would make for an interesting limited edition box set release... They could make a killing on that one.

In general, I have never had a problem with the Rhino sets or individual DVD / VHS releases. Never had a defective DVD or anything... and I'm a fan of the show for the theater segments... so the behind-the-scenes and various extra stuff might have been lacking... but I never really noticed.

I'm glad that a new company is taking over that can give the show a little more "TLC" with the box sets... but in the big picture, I'm much more interested in what movie rights they can acquire over whatever circa 1991 BBI-produced scraps they can dig up from the tape vault.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
The "lost" group of KTMA episodes would make for an interesting limited edition box set release... They could make a killing on that one.

1) Best Brains doesn't own the rights to those shows.  KTMA does.  And at present, KTMA is a Christian station - and probably wouldn't want to be associated with them.

2) Nine out of the 21 KTMAs are Sandy Frank films (unless you mean the "lost" ones as meaning the three of which there are no fan copies - of which one of three).  And, if he won't release the rights for the CC episodes....

3) Even if you could get all the others (even the ones with no fan copies available), the time and trouble they would take could get us so many more CC episodes that Rhino kept ignoring.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
Well.. I was talking about the KTMA episodes that have no fan copies. I was aware of the whole Sandy Frank opposition to granting rights to his movies... but didn't realize that one of the "lost three" was a Frank production. So yea... that shoots a whole in that idea...

I still don't think getting the other two "lost" eps from KTMA would be a huge hurdle though, assuming that BBi and/or Shout Factory thought it was worth throwing some money after..... It would be relatively easy and cheap to remove / obscure any onscreen reference to KTMA from the episodes themselves... And I have a feeling that a small Christian TV station wouldn't turn down good money for the rights to a couple of 20 year old tapes that will never do them any good otherwise. I have to imagine negotiating with the movie copyright holders would be a bigger obstacle than the UHF station.

Personally, I don't care if they ever commercially release the KTMA stuff... I've seen most of the fan traded eps available... and for the most part their main value to me was that of satisfying curiousity. I don't know if I would bother spending money for KTMA content... but I think a two-DVD set with the non-Sandy Frank KTMA lost eps would be a hot seller among the die-hards. (if only for a limited production run at a slightly premium "collectors" price point.)

Offline CA20

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
Well.. I was talking about the KTMA episodes that have no fan copies. I was aware of the whole Sandy Frank opposition to granting rights to his movies... but didn't realize that one of the "lost three" was a Frank production. So yea... that shoots a whole in that idea...

I don't post here very often, but I think that one of my only other posts said the exact same thing as this one. Sandy Frank doesn't own the rights to any of these movies anymore. Travis over at the MST board researched the rights to all the episodes and put together a list of how likely each episode is to be released.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »
Have to correct myself...it's ten out of 21 that are Sandy Frank movies.   Forgot about Legend of the Dinosaur being one of his.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
I wonder when the first Shout Factory release will come out, and what form it will take.

News? Educated Guesses? Wild Speculations?
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2008, 06:01:05 AM »
I wonder when the first Shout Factory release will come out, and what form it will take.

News? Educated Guesses? Wild Speculations?

Shout Factory will have a booth at this years San Diego Comic-Con.  If they don't announce something by then I'll be disappointed.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »
I watched Space Travelers last night for the first time in many years...  and now I know where Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck got her name!  8)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
I watched Space Travelers last night for the first time in many years...  and now I know where Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck got her name!  8)

Although I'm jealous that you have Space Travelers.  I almost had a complete DAP copy - and my computer hiccupped or something and the file disappeared from my hard drive.   :'(

Offline jetjaguar15

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »
Shout Factory dropped a hint today in thier forums that Laserblast might be on their first set!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »
The main producer Brian also dropped a hint about Space Travelers too.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »

Although I'm jealous that you have Space Travelers.  I almost had a complete DAP copy - and my computer hiccupped or something and the file disappeared from my hard drive.   :'(

The new DAP Torrent Tracker site works great, complete ISO files instead of parts!

http://tracker.dapcentral.org/
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
The main producer Brian also dropped a hint about Space Travelers too.

Hmmm....so since Columbia Pictures reclaimed Marooned and it's not PD anymore, they'll have to pay them for rights.

And since they'll need to use the Film Ventures International version - which has Demer's music - they'll have to pay them, too.

As much as I want this episode, I get the feeling that we might have our first $30 single disc with this one.   :o

The new DAP Torrent Tracker site works great, complete ISO files instead of parts!

Yeah...until you get about 93% of the file and no one with an 100% file gets online to seed you....and while you're waiting forever the thing disappears off your computer for no reason you can figure out.   :'(

It sucks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:50:12 AM by Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck »