login

Author Topic: Rhino no more?  (Read 12300 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Rhino no more?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 03:16:42 PM »
I agree with MrTorso, don't count on Shout! releasing very many of the old DVDs. Although I'm fairly certain a few titles will get double dipped like Santa Clause Conquers the Martians, Manos, and a small handful of others (... even those titles arent guaranteed at this point and are likely still owned by Rhino).

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 03:24:34 PM »
I would think Space Mutiny and Time Chasers would be hot properties.  Maybe I'm crazy.
On timeout

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
Yup, those too. One thing Shout! could do is pull a Disney and hold off releasing the hot properties until supplies diminish and demand grows.

Then again, they might not have a choice in the matter due to lack of rights.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
I don't think it should matter. Rhino only put out 53 episodes on DVD. There are 121 other episodes that haven't been released. Shout! does not need to double dip. Some of the Rhino DVDs have been out for 8 years.  If you haven't bought them yet you aren't going to. I really hope Shout! didn't waste money on titles that Rhino put out.

I'm probably an outlier but I disagree a teensy bit about "If you haven't bought them yet you aren't going to."  I''ve got all the box sets but only 4 of the individuals, and 3 of those I bought last week.  BUT I would rather not see double-dipping either.  I can always rent or borrow what's already out.  Bring on the new!  Of the old.  And stuff.

-dale

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3090
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »
TV guide got BBI's name wrong while reporting the switch to Shout  (They say Big Brains Inc.):

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Dvd-News-Reviews/Mst3k-Dvd-Rights/800031720

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
From Shout! Factory:

We were extremely excited to pick this title up.  Shout! Factory is a great home for MST3K and its fans (of which I'm included).  The beauty of it is that I own all 12 of the sets, as well, and, therefore, know EXACTLY what I would like to do differently.  And there's plenty.

But we're still coming down off the high of acquiring the series and are just now beginning to really plan out our schedule.  I can tell you that we're in no way interested in following up the Rhino releases with stuff they've already put out there.  We don't like to double dip, if at all possible.  Secondly, those original episodes have been thrown about the conference table in conversation.  We'd love to find a way to include stuff from that first season, but we can't make any promises.

We're looking into everything.  We're going to have fun with this series.  MST3K has never really been handled the way it should've been.  We know that and we're hoping to remedy it ASAP.

Stay tuned...

Brian

------------------------------

Can you say KTMA?  8)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »
sounds a bit like an 'Out of Print' confirmation. get em while you can.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
From Shout! Factory:

We were extremely excited to pick this title up.  Shout! Factory is a great home for MST3K and its fans (of which I'm included).  The beauty of it is that I own all 12 of the sets, as well, and, therefore, know EXACTLY what I would like to do differently.  And there's plenty.

But we're still coming down off the high of acquiring the series and are just now beginning to really plan out our schedule.  I can tell you that we're in no way interested in following up the Rhino releases with stuff they've already put out there.  We don't like to double dip, if at all possible.  Secondly, those original episodes have been thrown about the conference table in conversation.  We'd love to find a way to include stuff from that first season, but we can't make any promises.

We're looking into everything.  We're going to have fun with this series.  MST3K has never really been handled the way it should've been.  We know that and we're hoping to remedy it ASAP.

Stay tuned...

Brian

------------------------------

Can you say KTMA?  8)

Wow, sure seems promising!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »
Crivens. And just at the time when I have the least spare cash for hoarding investments at my disposal. =/
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
If this is the case, when will the shout factor releases start and the rhino stuff go out of print?
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2008, 03:32:07 AM »
If this is the case, when will the shout factor releases start and the rhino stuff go out of print?

All we know is that Vol 10.5 is Rhino's last MST3K release.  We have no clue when the older volumes will be going out of print.

But, if you're missing Rhino volumes I'd say now is the time to go out and get them.  The sooner you get them, the less likely you'll have to go to eBay and pay outrageous prices for them due to them being out of print.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4994
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
Meh.. Al the episodes are out there on the internet, just not sure of the validity of the rights to them..

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2008, 07:11:58 AM »
Yes, but the internet versions are often of poorer quality. Plus, I'm happy to show Rhino/Shout that I'm willing to fork over cash for these things so they'll continue making them.

Offline Jazzman99

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:17 AM »
You can get fan videos of superb quality these days, but even after I have all of MST3K--which I'm very close to now, thanks to the excellent fan resources--I'll continue buying the official releases, for several reasons:

*They often have nifty bonus material (the Jukeboxes, intros, interviews, etc), and I imagine Shout will do even more in this area than Rhino did.

*It throws some financial support behind the Brains, though I do wish everybody got a cut; there seems to be some confusion about who actually gets money from the official releases.

*The better these sell, the more likely we are to continue getting "spinoffs" like Rifftrax and CT and--it sounds unlikely but anything is possible--perhaps someday an actual revivial of MST itself.
Read my crime novel FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AND THE GREEN-EYED GIRL on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/4y5jmem

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
You can get fan videos of superb quality these days, but even after I have all of MST3K--which I'm very close to now, thanks to the excellent fan resources--I'll continue buying the official releases, for several reasons:

*They often have nifty bonus material (the Jukeboxes, intros, interviews, etc), and I imagine Shout will do even more in this area than Rhino did.

*It throws some financial support behind the Brains, though I do wish everybody got a cut; there seems to be some confusion about who actually gets money from the official releases.

*The better these sell, the more likely we are to continue getting "spinoffs" like Rifftrax and CT and--it sounds unlikely but anything is possible--perhaps someday an actual revivial of MST itself.

I agree with your reasons for getting the official releases. As far as who gets money from the MST3K DVDs, I know that Joel, Jim, and anyone who currently works at BBI (like Paul) do. There's a possibility that Trace and Kevin may get some money from them since they were involved in the show's early formation, but we don't know that for sure. Fortunately Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic exist, so now the fans can support all the other performers that were involved with the show.