Author Topic: Rhino no more?  (Read 11517 times)

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
Re: Rhino no more?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
What an interesting development!  I wonder if that's the final nail in the Film Crew's coffin, though...  Still, we have RiffTrax, so I'm not too worried about that.  Shout! Factory is my favorite company when it comes to DVD releases.  Look at all the things I love that they've done: Film Crew, the Weird Al Show, the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, the SatAM Sonic show, the Mario shows they do, and now MST3K!  I love them!  I'm interested to see what they do with the show...

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »
I seriously doubt this.  The reason we have the DVD sets and not "seasons" is because most of the rights they had on the movies have expired.  They would have to re-secure the rights to all those movies, and while each film would probably have it's own unique rights issues (price, length of time to have the rights, etc.) I seriously doubt they can/will get rights to all 198 movies.

I guarantee that any rights they had to the movies when they were on TV did not include home video rights at all. Even back then they would have had to renegotiate rights to release them on video.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
I guarantee that any rights they had to the movies when they were on TV did not include home video rights at all. Even back then they would have had to renegotiate rights to release them on video.

So....are you agreeing with me?  I'm sure you're right, and it just means that they still have to secure the rights to sell them on DVD, and I'm saying that this is probably not going to happen for every episode.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
Downloadable episodes would be great.  People might even start to visit MST3K.com again.
I thought I was Dale.

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
I hope that Rhino will still have a single dvd release for the episode they are putting on the new version of Volume 10.

This is way exciting that they are doing this, i'll love to see what the new sets will look like and all of the special features they can put in them. 

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
So what changes will be made, or have any been announced yet? If they have the same licensing problems as Rhino did what will they do that's different?
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »
My guess is that they will be shipping out collections more often or something. nothing else really has been announce yet.

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
Shout! Is its own company started by ex-Rhino people.  Rhino has nothing to do with Shout! at all.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
No conspiracy, Jim Mallon really IS a tool.
Also, I've never liked the Rhino sets because of the high prices / unavailability, good riddance.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
No conspiracy, Jim Mallon really IS a tool.
Also, I've never liked the Rhino sets because of the high prices / unavailability, good riddance.

I doubt Shout! Factory will be any cheaper.  As far as unavailability I never had a problem finding the sets at Best Buy/Circuit City/Borders/Every online store.  In the grand scheme of things MST3K is a niche product and will never break any sales records.  You also can't compare the price of  MST to other TV shows. Not only does Shout have to pay for the rights of the actual show material they also have to pay for the rights to the movie being riffed.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
I hope that Rhino will still have a single dvd release for the episode they are putting on the new version of Volume 10.

It said on mst3kinfo.com that the 10.2 would be Rhino's last release, so the single disk version will still be a part of that release.  At least temporarily as originally intended. 

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
I also had no trouble with avialability. Local suncoast always had it in stock, and they carry Film Crew shelved right next door to it, so their likely to keep up the service after the ownership change.

As far as possible positive changes go, I think I'd like to see more information about the colorful history of these films. What props were stolen from a studio lot in the dead of night, what actors also appeared in other MST3K-ed films, what was going on with the continuity in that one fight scene, why was the vampire played by two different actors, why was there a narration the whole movie, and who killed themselves after the filming was done?
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 06:56:43 AM »
A rhino/mst3k.com blowout on the collections is probably too much to hope for.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
This just came in my email (Shout! Factory newsletter):

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Comes To Shout! Factory
First Shout! Factory brought you The Film Crew on DVD. Now we're reeling in the Satellite of Love to bring you Mystery Science Theater 3000, too. Stay tuned for info on DVD releases as well as digital offerings. In the meantime, get ready to cozy on up to your favorite 'bot buddy and set your phasers to funny. Tom Servo would want it that way.