Author Topic: As much as I love Rifftrax...  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Re: As much as I love Rifftrax...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:03 PM »
I disagree. There were a lot of silent spots in the previous Carnival of Souls commentary that Bill and Kevin could have filled. And a lot of the jokes in that previous commentary done in DVD-commentary format could be replaced. I can only see about 20-30% of the old commentary being redone/rehashed here.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
Well, why go for any rehash when you can get 100% new material with an unriffed film?

I'll happily buy whatever Mike and the gang produce, but I'd be happier if I feel I'm not paying for the same stuff I've already bought.  :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
Well, why go for any rehash when you can get 100% new material with an unriffed film?

I'll happily buy whatever Mike and the gang produce, but I'd be happier if I feel I'm not paying for the same stuff I've already bought.  :)
Agreed 100%
When I'm counting at least 186 repeats VERBATUM :grr:, I gotta call 'Shenanigans'!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:43:56 PM by RVR II »

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 12:39:56 AM »

Agreed 100%
When I'm counting at least 186 repeats VERBATUM :grr:, I gotta call 'Shenanigans'!!!

Well now if you want to get technical, they weren't all verbatim.  For instance right at the beginning they make fun of Criswel's hair.  In the original Mike referred to it as a tsunami and said there was a tiny surfer inside.  In the new one they said it looked like an ocean beach and said Kelley Slater was inside.  Yeah I know, same difference. 

I have to agree I wouldn't mind seeing them redo the Legend releases, they could greatly improve on Mike's commentary and I've already got the DVDs so thats less to rent.  But thats just me being selfish.  If they double dip on future DVDs or riffs, it would be nice if those of us who already purchased could get some kind of break on the price.

Either way, I'm happy with this new riff of Plan 9 because the first time around it felt like a real missed opportunity considering its the granddaddy of all bad movies.  These three guys have fantastic chemistry  together and I'm pretty sure they could make the phone book funny.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 05:19:26 AM »

Agreed 100%

Well now if you want to get technical, they weren't all verbatim.  For instance right at the beginning they make fun of Criswel's hair.  In the original Mike referred to it as a tsunami and said there was a tiny surfer inside.  In the new one they said it looked like an ocean beach and said Kelley Slater was inside.  Yeah I know, same difference. 

I have to agree I wouldn't mind seeing them redo the Legend releases, they could greatly improve on Mike's commentary and I've already got the DVDs so thats less to rent.  But thats just me being selfish.  If they double dip on future DVDs or riffs, it would be nice if those of us who already purchased could get some kind of break on the price.

Either way, I'm happy with this new riff of Plan 9 because the first time around it felt like a real missed opportunity considering its the granddaddy of all bad movies.  These three guys have fantastic chemistry  together and I'm pretty sure they could make the phone book funny.
Yeah.. Ok.. 'Almost' Verbatum, but there was more than enough repeats to be marked on my list (at least 60-70% for sure!).
I agree. I have no regrets about buying it and I'd do it again if done over, but Seriously; they can create Plenty more (almost entirely) new material a 2nd time around Very Easily!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:27:44 AM by RVR II »

Offline Zooball

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
  • What more do you want from me?!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
I just got my Legend Films DVD today and did not know it came with MJN riffing built-in.  But, since I downloaded the 3-riff version earlier this month, I wanted to make sure that file worked.  I started to listen to the MJN version, and then tried the 3-riffer track, and noticed the similarity right away.  I decided to go for the 3-riff version since I'm used to hearing them all together.
You can normally find me over at OurDarkSkies.com, but only if you like telescopes. :D

Offline Douche Baggins

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
i think i'm going to buy the original single riff tonight and compare it to my newer Plan9. Personally, the version with bill, mike and kevin (the only version i own) is in my top five riffs.

AMMA-GOAHTO-LEVVITTOWN

Offline drewmura

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
I came in here to complain about the re-use of material in the rifftrax version, but after reading the complaints i have changed my mind,  I too did the comparison by turning on the Legend commentary and starting the Rifftrax simultaneiously, although I didnt count the repeats (but that was interesting) instead i used my gut as a measure of how annoyed i was about the situation.... I dont care about the money, and my plan nine was autographed by Mr. Nelson, the highlight of my collection.  My complaint is that i it ruins the suspension of disbelief. in the ideal wold, a riff should sound like three very clever and funny friends areimprovising over a whole movie.  with this repeat "incident" leaked, i personally found it hard to picture anything other than three guys bent over a teleprompter. it took away magic of the illusion of improvisation.  but look at all the good riffs there are, and just this one is a peek behind the great and powerful OZ's curtain. as far as ed wood movies being bad, look at robert lippert! look at Corman! Coleman Francis!or to really put the point home, look at Michael Bay. at least Ed Wood makes you laugh. i dont know if i will ever watch transformers again, riff or not.  i heartily reccomend the Johnny Depp Tim Burton Ed Wood bio-pic.  so i forgive then this time. im not going to stop getting riffs just because of such a terrible aweful dissapointment. and yes, I AM talking about Transformers.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 09:47:23 PM »
Transformers was a disappointment? Man, that's one of their best riffs, IMO. The movie on the other hand...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 06:37:35 AM »
Transformers was a disappointment? Man, that's one of their best riffs, IMO. The movie on the other hand...

I've shown that riff to people who liked the movie and people who wanted to burn the theater down after seeing it, and no one was disappointed. 
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 06:13:36 AM »
My complaint is that i it ruins the suspension of disbelief. in the ideal wold, a riff should sound like three very clever and funny friends areimprovising over a whole movie.  with this repeat "incident" leaked, i personally found it hard to picture anything other than three guys bent over a teleprompter. it took away magic of the illusion of improvisation.  but look at all the good riffs there are, and just this one is a peek behind the great and powerful OZ's curtain.

I think the first tip-off might have been that Mystery Science Theater 3000 had writers. It's not meant to be anything other than FUNNY. Just repeat to yourself "it's just a website...I should really just relax".
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!