login

Author Topic: Bootleg Fantrax: Akira (Roundtable Riff)  (Read 22798 times)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Re: Bootleg Fantrax: Akira (Roundtable Riff)
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »
How many riffs did everyone send in?  I looked over what I sent in and it looks like I hit 100 right on the head. 

Offline Matt B

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
    • The Stephen Ratliff Misting Archive
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
I ended up just shy of 200 myself.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
Hey, if any of you guys are sick of the spoof banner, Matt B made a real one:

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Hey, if any of you guys are sick of the spoof banner, Matt B made a real one:

Can I think it's really funny that Matt B made it and hasn't changed it yet?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »
Any new info?

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2008, 05:53:55 PM »
I've recorded the first half hour, though it's still rough and needs to be cleaned up. Life has gotten in the way at the moment, but hopefully my schedule should hopefully clear up by the end of the week and I can focus on both this and the top 50 animals list.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2496
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
If you want any recording tips, let me know.  Now that I've recorded a couple I might be able to help you streamline the process a bit.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »
Tell me, do you record the jokes in clumps or each joke individually?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
The first one was kind of a fiasco, so I wound up recording them individually out of necessity, I just couldn't get it set up otherwise.  It worked, but a lot of the riffs were uneven in volume, especially after trying to get rid of the background noise, etc.  Then I came across this thread http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,6834.0/topicseen.html  that among other things teaches you how to use a program called Sub Station Alpha to make yourself a little teleprompter on your computer, so your riffs will show up at the bottom of the screen in the right time for you to perform them.  Just hit record on your favorite sound program, give yourself a countdown and turn on the prompter with the movie playing in media player on top or (as I'm trying now) on a tv nearby.  Sometimes the timing does seem to drift a bit during recording, so you still have to do some cut and paste work afterward, and it's a good idea to record in say 10 to 20 minute intervals so the drift doesn't get too extreme.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2008, 03:24:23 AM »
We record ours in real time and go back and re-record any fuck ups we have along the way.  The disadvantage of not doing anything on the computer. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
It's a good idea to record in real time on the computer too, for one thing you never know when inspiration will strike while watching the movie and you'll think of something funny to ad-lib (another thing Sub-Station Alpha is good for is you can tell at a glance how far away the next scripted line is, the running time will be in the upper left corner right by the time of your next line, letting you know how much time you'd have for such ad-libs)  and of course if it works it's great and sounds spontaneous, which it what you should be going for.  If it sucks, you can always delete it later.

I recorded my Secret of the Sword riff one line at a time and it took several days.  I recorded Nightmare on Elm Street in 30 minute increments over the course of about 4 hours, then had two one hour re-record sessions afterward.  Recording for Nightmare on Elm Street 2 only took about 4 hours total.  (Of course editing is a different matter, that always takes forever)

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2008, 06:23:02 AM »
Two things about that:

1- I can't play the movie on my computer because my computer is old and the movie plays slow and it wouldn't synch with the TV.

2- Since the movie is playing on my TV, which is a few feet away from the computer, I tend to screw up on timing and speaking clearly when I'm focusing both on the computer and the TV at the same time. So far, I've been recording one joke at a time and synching it, which is slow, but it adds up to a better delivery.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2008, 07:12:41 AM »
Two things about that:

1- I can't play the movie on my computer because my computer is old and the movie plays slow and it wouldn't synch with the TV.

2- Since the movie is playing on my TV, which is a few feet away from the computer, I tend to screw up on timing and speaking clearly when I'm focusing both on the computer and the TV at the same time. So far, I've been recording one joke at a time and synching it, which is slow, but it adds up to a better delivery.

Wow, I'm kinda surprised that you are as far as you are.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
I've used a "one run" approch to the single riff I've recorded thus far, with mixed results:

"..... So that's where they hide the- doh! I just skipped a page, forget I- I mean, uh, *paper rustling noises* Sothat'swhatshemeantbydangerous! Haha! Ugh! Grrrr!.... MOTHERF#CKER!"

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2008, 07:05:19 PM »
Two things about that:

Yeah that sounds like it'd be a tricky situation.  Is there no way to rearrange things temporarily to put the computer monitor and tv close to eachother?

I did try once before figuring out how to watch and riff at the same time, ripping the movie audio and importing it to audacity so I would at least have audio cues as I recorded.  I had some good results with that, but it was pretty tricky.

gum.co/RFTrocky