login

Author Topic: Writers Strike ::whimper::  (Read 16655 times)

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
Re: Writers Strike ::whimper::
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a misquote. Actually he says

No, actually he says,

That's not true.... That's Impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »
Well I am completely caught up with The Office now... and I had never seen a single episode before October, lol. I had saved all this season's House episodes and I finished them last night.

Ah, but Season 2 of Barney Miller is shipping today!   :)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »
Good thing the Strike is only for US screenwriters. Primeval's 2nd season just started this week. Cheezy but cool monster-of-the-week fun  ;D.

And there is always The Universe on History Channel, which is cool if you can handle the repetitive nature of the FX.

And Stargate Atlantis filmed all their eps before the Strike so that's cool too.

BUT, what will really suck hard is when the Screen Actors' Guild and Directors' Guild go on strike next summer. That will seriously hurt!  :-[.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't.

Always remember... where ever you go, there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai & Pig Killer

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
Directors Guild negotiations are happening now, it's basically the current focus of the strike as they could tip things one way or another depending on what they accept.

**stop the press**

They've just signed a deal.

*  Establishing DGA jurisdiction over programs produced for distribution on the Internet;

* Boosting the residuals formula for paid Internet downloads (electronic sell-through) by double the current rate;

* And establishing residual rates for ad-supported streaming and use of clips on the Internet.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:55:21 PM by BathTub »

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 05:43:37 AM »
I have news
Following its deals with United Artists, and The Weinstein Co., the Writers Guild of America West has announced that it has signed a deal with a fourth production company, Spyglass Entertainment. Spyglass, whose films have included Bruce Almighty and Seabiscuit, has distribution deals with a number of studios. All of which raises the possibility that the companies that have signed separate deals may be used to fill the pipelines of the studios that have been struck and could be used also as surrogates where scripts are developed while the strike continues, then "sold" to the majors with which they are partnered when it is settled. Meanwhile, Warner Bros. announced Wednesday that it had sent pink slips to about three dozen employees, citing the writers' strike. The small number surprised media journalists who had been predicting massive layoffs at the studio (which referred to the predictions as "misinformation").

flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 06:17:50 AM »
Did you find Season 4 to be a letdown?

House or The Office?

Not that it matters, I haven't felt a letdown in either yet... I'm not too critical I guess. I think The Office is golden and can go on forever as far as I'm concerned. House is ever-changing... which isn't a bad thing. For that matter, The Office is ever-changing too, maybe that's why I never grow tired of it.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:24 AM »
I still enjoy The Office quite a lot, but the 4th season to me was less entertaining than the previous 3. It was kind of a weak showing. Still not bad, better than most other shows, but definitely not up to the standard the previous seasons set.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 07:11:07 AM »
WGA Signs Deal With Another Studio, But Will It Backfire?
Following its deals with United Artists, and The Weinstein Co., the Writers Guild of America West has announced that it has signed a deal with a fourth production company, Spyglass Entertainment. Spyglass, whose films have included Bruce Almighty and Seabiscuit, has distribution deals with a number of studios. All of which raises the possibility that the companies that have signed separate deals may be used to fill the pipelines of the studios that have been struck and could be used also as surrogates where scripts are developed while the strike continues, then "sold" to the majors with which they are partnered when it is settled. Meanwhile, Warner Bros. announced Wednesday that it had sent pink slips to about three dozen employees, citing the writers' strike. The small number surprised media journalists who had been predicting massive layoffs at the studio (which referred to the predictions as "misinformation").

People LOST THEIR JOBS because of the writer's strike. Do you see what is happening? This strike - and the WGA - are doing people more harm than good. Do you have an answer to THAT?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:32:20 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
Anyone else notice the biggest irony of the writer's strike?  Because of the strike, reality shows are replacing written shows.... and a few are getting *better ratings*!  Whoops.

Here's an article that got me thinking about thatt:  http://www.variety.com/VR1117978850.html

Doctor Who?

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »
Yes I do.

These rich fat cats who never did a day work in their lives should not be allowed to fire workers who are only trying to get PAID for their work.

Would you still be willing to go to work if your boss said that he was only going to pay you for about 50% of the work you did.

If I had my way the people  Warner Bros who fired these writers would be in jail for the rest of their lives.

It's really is bad sign that in this day and age workers can still be fired for striking.

I love how your mind works too.

Fat cat who doesn't do any work doesn't want pay the writers who made him rich in the first place,there is nothing evil or greedy about that.

Writers who just want to get paid for all the work that they do making the guy at the top rich,Oh my God that is so greedy!!!

Offline James of LinHood

• Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 08:09:21 AM »
I couldn't help but laugh at the "Take that!" attitude of your post.

Anyway, I find it funny how there overpaid execs decide to fire people and blame it on the writer's strike.

Nevermind the fact that they have more than enough money to keep these people employed.

Nevermind the fact that the writers have nothing to do with the WB's decisions.

Besides, how is the WB's firing of 30 to 40 employees doing more harm than good?  The writer's strike represents THOUSANDS of writers who want better pay.  Do you think that those 40 people won't be able to find jobs at other studios?  Of course they will.

After all, if the studio would've stuck with negotiations instead of walking out in December those firings probably wouldn't have happened because a deal would've been struck by now.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 08:16:03 AM »
"You mean the people I hired don't like the way things are done!?!  How dare they revolt!  Somebody's going to get fired around here for this!" :angry:

I had this same discussion with my brother over Christmas break (he HATES unions).  We concluded that he sees "business ethics" as two separate things.  That cleared up a lot of confusion.

Btw, it's estimated that 48% of WGA members are consistently unemployed and live off residuals... which is what the whole strike is aboot.

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
I still enjoy The Office quite a lot, but the 4th season to me was less entertaining than the previous 3. It was kind of a weak showing. Still not bad, better than most other shows, but definitely not up to the standard the previous seasons set.

I think the only reason for a weak showing was them overextending and doing all those hourlong eps.  I enjoyed them, but they would have been so much better in half hour increments, or with half of it cut.  It felt like they were trying to hard.  However, the final episode shown was one of my favorites of the whole series.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
Would you still be willing to go to work if your boss said that he was only going to pay you for about 50% of the work you did.

Are you retarded?

It's like I say, one guy complains and the union forces everyone else to join in, even if they're doing fine with their work. The WGA has cost the jobs of at least three dozen people.

If you aren't happy with your job, either fucking quit or suck it up. Costing the jobs of others for your own good will is selfish and greedy. Lord knows how many people will end up getting the short end of the stick because of the fucking WGA, but who cares about them because they're not WRITERS and they don't have a UNION. ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:54:05 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
lol Isaac, thousands and thousands of people are out of work, you only just noticed that aspect of it? that's kind of how the strike works.