login

Author Topic: Writers Strike ::whimper::  (Read 16642 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Writers Strike ::whimper::
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
Quick poll: How long do you think it will take for the writers to make back what they lost during the strike based purely on the "profits" from DVD and internet?
Should we assume this includes the writers in the near future and their descendants or just the writers who were actually on strike?  While we're at it, let's take a follow-up poll:  How long do you feel it took for the last writer's strike to compensate for their temporary losses?*

*Facts and research are optional for both polls since these are merely armchair reactions from people who comparatively know very little about the real behind-the-scenes stories other than the extreme most of a Google search, Wikipedia look-up, a random newspaper/magazine article, or a friend of a friend.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:27 AM »
Huh. Well, I know that with the amount of commercials during a given broadcast compared to the one or two commercials during an internet (insert term here), and the amount of television broadcasts compared to online content, and subsequently the amount of regular television viewers compared to viewers of online content, the royalties the studios alone can make from online content are a mere fraction of a fraction of what they make off of broadcast TV, and comparing the cut the writers want from that to the scant amount they already make from TV, it's painfully obvious that they probably lost more during the strike than they would have from years of being "ripped off" by the studios regarding online content. And in those years, they could have probably resolved their dispute without striking. This is to say nothing of the large amount of people who get online content illegally because it isn't even available officially.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
Huh. Well, I know that with the amount of commercials during a given broadcast compared to the one or two commercials during an internet (insert term here), and the amount of television broadcasts compared to online content, and subsequently the amount of regular television viewers compared to viewers of online content, the royalties the studios alone can make from online content are a mere fraction of a fraction of what they make off of broadcast TV, and comparing the cut the writers want from that to the scant amount they already make from TV, it's painfully obvious that they probably lost more during the strike than they would have from years of being "ripped off" by the studios regarding online content. And in those years, they could have probably resolved their dispute without striking. This is to say nothing of the large amount of people who get online content illegally because it isn't even available officially.
The changing tides are upon us.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I'm not one of your big Television watchers (Sorry, I just can't get into shows like Lost or Desperate Housewives.) so the writer's strike didn't really affect me at all. Just give me a few educational documentaries about mummies or ancient civilizations and I'm happy.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?