Author Topic: Writers Strike ::whimper::  (Read 16643 times)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
Writers Strike ::whimper::
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »
I am really feeling the effects of the writers strike, anyone else feeling horribly sad?

I mean, Television was at its highest point this season, tons of great new shows were introduced, ie: Life, Chuck, and a few others that escape my mind. And many other shows were returning with great seasons ie: The office, house, Lost is soon coming.

But then the writers strike hit...I am currently watching nothing but MST3k and Malcolm in the Middle (two of the funniest shows ever mind you) but still. I miss all of these great shows.

Don't get me wrong though, I think that the writers should get a chunk of the internet and dvd market. But come on a strike? Must you punish us as well as the studios? Can't you just egg the studio executives mansions??

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Writers Strike ::whimper::
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:35:42 PM »
Perhaps YOU should egg the studio executives mansions, thus showing your support for the writers.    ;)  If everyone who supported the writers threw just one egg for the cause, maybe this'd be over in a week or so.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:38:08 AM »
I think they just invented these things called books and I hear you can got this place called a library and get them for free. Way cool!

I'm mostly being sarcastic, and I miss some shows too, but there are other ways to be entertained :)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline James of LinHood

• Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:58:25 AM »
I think they just invented these things called books and I hear you can got this place called a library and get them for free. Way cool!

I think I've heard of those things.  But since they don't come in HD I really don't care about them.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
Well, "Monk" and "Psych" are still on, so I'm happy.  ;D But even if they weren't, I think the writers are doing what they need to do, so I support them and hope they win. And truthfully, I think it would be great if the strike cause some of the really bad shows to shut down for good. (I can dream, can't I?  ;) )
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
 The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps. On your way please

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »
The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps. On your way please

And sarcasm comes out of nowhere to win the thread!

BEST. OBSCURE REFERENCE. EVER!!! :D
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »
I am really feeling the effects of the writers strike, anyone else feeling horribly sad?

I mean, Television was at its highest point this season, tons of great new shows were introduced, ie: Life, Chuck, and a few others that escape my mind. And many other shows were returning with great seasons ie: The office, house, Lost is soon coming.

But then the writers strike hit...I am currently watching nothing but MST3k and Malcolm in the Middle (two of the funniest shows ever mind you) but still. I miss all of these great shows.

Don't get me wrong though, I think that the writers should get a chunk of the internet and dvd market. But come on a strike? Must you punish us as well as the studios? Can't you just egg the studio executives mansions??

I've found there's so many great shows already out there on DVD, this writer's strike gives me a chance to catch up.  Right now I'm halfway through the second season of Six Feet Under, & I'm lovin' it....it's an absolutely brilliant show.  I'm also watching The Unit, then after these shows I'll probably start on Deadwood, Rescue Me, or West Wing.  Oh, and I have to get the 4th season of The Wire.  

Man, there's no reason to say there's nothing on, get yourself a netflix account and start renting!
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

anais.jude

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

I've found there's so many great shows already out there on DVD, this writer's strike gives me a chance to catch up.  Right now I'm halfway through the second season of Six Feet Under, & I'm lovin' it....it's an absolutely brilliant show.  I'm also watching The Unit, then after these shows I'll probably start on Deadwood, Rescue Me, or West Wing.  Oh, and I have to get the 4th season of The Wire.  

Man, there's no reason to say there's nothing on, get yourself a netflix account and start renting!

Smilin Jack, I am also on the second season of 6 feet under. talk about brilliant! although i must admit, Claire annoys the hell out of me. whiny biotch.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »
Smilin Jack, I am also on the second season of 6 feet under. talk about brilliant! although i must admit, Claire annoys the hell out of me. whiny biotch.

[thread hijack]

I don't mind Claire, she's just a typical apathetic teenager, but you can see there's more to her beneath the surface, she just needs to mature and figure out who she is (which I hope happens in upcoming seasons of the show).  One amazing thing is that the actress who plays Claire was 23 when she is playing Claire at age 16...pretty amazing, she doesn't look that old, and nails the part of the teenager.

The character that really bothers me is Brenda, what a crazy woman.  If I was dating someone that out of control, I'd drop her in a second.  I can't believe that her and Nate are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Fortis

• Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Haha, funny you should mention books. I just read all of Mike Nelson's books and Kevin's book in the past couple weeks. Death Rat by the way, was unlike any other book I have ever read and yet it was brilliant.

I just finished watching season 3 of Lost, and coupled with making lots of mst3k and rifftrax dvds I dont have a lot of time on my hand. Except for that special time of night called 7 - 10 o'clock.

Sure there are lots of things to do to what with having a bajillion fantasy novels, all the lost and office dvd's, countless hours of rifftrax, and a Wii by my side. All I want is Chuck and Life back.

Perhaps we all should egg the studio execs. houses

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »
I'm in! You bring the eggs and I'll bring some TP. Double whammy.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

I'm way behind when it comes to TV shows anyway. So i'm not feeling the crush at all.

I either record an entire season before i even begin watching, or buy or rent the DVD sets if i like the series. You'll almost never catch me watching live TV at home, except for the news. I always hear the buzz when something good is out there, but it takes me awhile to catch on. Hell, it seems like most of the good shows are on HBO or Showtime anyway. They could stop producing anything new for a coupla' years before i begin to really care.

Don't mistake my apathy for a position on the writer's strike, though. Despite my personal feelings, i'm trying to stay neutral on that.

-Rude

PS- I used to love Six Feet Under until the third season. By then i hated every character and could barely stand watching the show. It just wasn't fun anymore, made me feel dirty. I eventually finished the series, but it was painful.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:24:22 PM by Rude »
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
It's January. There wouldn't be anything on anyway. AFAIK most shows are coming back when they normally would. Apart from talk shows, there haven't been any strike side effects. They even just had a promo for Lost. I'm confused as to how anyone could in fact be "feeling" anything. It's an illusion. Chuck is back January 24th.

anais.jude

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »
well i am feeling it. i just can't get excited for season 4 of lost, when i know we are only gonna get 7 episodes and the last one ends in a huge cliffhanger. i can't take that kind of stress!  :speechless: