login

Author Topic: The Oozing Skull  (Read 28384 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: The Oozing Skull
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »
Well, I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday, and I was very impressed!

It's nice to see the silhouettes on screen.

Stand outs were Weinstein and Conniff. I just LOVE Frank's delivery! So deadpan, so Frank. "Either these drapes go or I do!"   :D

The others were great, as usual.

One thing, though, the movie portion looked choppy, but the silhouettes were smooth. Did anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:36:20 AM by gammer »

Offline moridin5

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Roly's Rants
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
*Phew*...sorry I'm late to this thread. Only by a few months, at least.

Actually...I just watched Oozing Skull about 30 minutes ago, even though I've owned the DVD for several months. I think the majority of comments covered it pretty well. This first outing clearly seems a bit unpolished, as do most 'first' efforts. Much like MST3K was in season 1. *ouch*

The skits were a bit forced. The feeling of the cast interacting with each other was missing. The ability to see them actually looking at their scripts also interfered with getting into 'the spirit' of things (watch Joel...many times you can see he's looking down and away from the screen at his script).

It seems to me the layout of the silhouettes requires more physical 'action' on CT's part than did MST3K. Because in the latter the figures were (mostly) stationary and kind of off to the side, you didn't always have your attention drawn to them. Many times, in re-watching an MST3K, I see some little movement or behavior on their part that I didn't catch the first time around. With CT having their images take up so much more of the screen, I think the impetus was on having them do more...exaggerate their mannerisms more...and over time that should get better as they get more comfortable with it.

On the flip side...while it wasn't a non-stop laugh fest by any stretch, it was enjoyable simply for the sake of its familiarity. Understanding what they were going for, and their giving it another whirl. Lightning never strikes twice, and I think...no matter what they would say...that there had to be a lot of "are we going to bomb this?" going on in their minds. Especially during this, the first one.

I've been greatly enjoying Rifftrax so far, and am looking quite forward to more CT. Downloading at EZTakes the 2nd CT effort as I type this, and am anxious. Since I'm on DSL, I figure the download should be complete sometime in late November.
Uncle Roly knows best. He always knows best.
www.rolysrants.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
They get smoother as they go along.   And there was actually some interaction in their latest one, Legacy of Blood.

Offline moridin5

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Roly's Rants
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »
Hmmm...only 6,000 more posts to catch up to you. Er...well, 5,999 now. lol
Uncle Roly knows best. He always knows best.
www.rolysrants.com

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
Finally got the first three. I won't go into too much detail because I'm sure I won't say anything that hasn't already been said. Sure one could say that it's "more MST like" than Rifftrax, but I wouldn't say either is "better". It carries on the MST tradition without looking like it's trying to be just like it.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 525
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Watched this last night.  Not for the first time, but first time in a long time.  Can't remember if they did a live version of this or not.  I'm thinking the first version I saw was live. Anyway, last night was NOT a live version.    Riffing was pretty good.  But, as I have said elsewhere, CT just seems to be missing something. Chemistry? Anger? I don't know...but it just isn't as funny as Rifftrax or MST.

The Stephen Hawking bit offended me.  But, who cares! I wouldn't boycott any show over one or two jokes that pushed my buttons.  The movie itself was far more offensive...just for existing. ;D 

My favorite part, and also, the "sickest," was Joel singing the Slinky them as a midget drug an unconscious guy down a flight of stairs.  That was utterly sick, and utterly funny! 

Glad I own most CT episodes, and wish there were more of them. 
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
The first couple episodes were kinda stiff.  By the time they got to Castle of freaks I thought they were right on. Then they went with the live only releases.  I really wish there were more studio one's.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
I'm planning to run through the titles in the new set and a few other random releases on my blog in a series I'm calling MSTing Links. First up: The Oozing Skull.

https://livelocalman.com/2017/08/08/msting-links-cinematic-titanic-episode-1-the-oozing-skull/