Author Topic: Number WHAT??  (Read 2712 times)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Number WHAT??
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
How did this happen? I thought we did away with this sort of thing. How did Radiohead's new(ish) album become NUMBER ONE in several countries? Are people... confused? It's only a great album if you get it for free. I paid five bucks which was almost too much. This is a mediocre album, and people had not only ample opportunity to find this out, but to get the album for literally nothing. It has no singles, let alone hit singles (at least not any that are out yet). WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY IT let alone let it get to NUMBER ONE? Come on, people. This is like paying for a DVD of A Christmas Story on Christmas Day. It makes... no... sense. It even has a crappy cover, so nobody bought it for that. Britney Spears or Shania Twain albums, I get. Those pretend to be good. This album told you not to buy it. WHY DO YOU DISOBEY THE ALBUM!?

I've listened to the "inrainbows.zip" album dozens of times and barely remember any of it. Paying for that when you don't have to is, shockingly, dumber than buying a CD of The Birthday Song. Yes, America and a couple of other countries, you have topped yourselves. You have just done it. Dumbest Thing Ever. Buy some crayons and make your own certificate. You deserve it, America and a couple other countries.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
Re: Number WHAT??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
It's not my fault. Mediocre always reminds me of tapioca, which I can't get enough of.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
It's not my fault. Mediocre always reminds me of tapioca, which I can't get enough of.

I could never get past those...things...in tapioca. What the heck are they?
Grain of a sort.  And before you say "Ech!" what about rice pudding?

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
I'm glad to see you can complain about something other than just rifftrax, way to diversify your portfolio. The album's only 8 bucks and pretty decent. The more I listen to it the more it grows on me.

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
I haven't downloaded the album, and I haven't listened to the album. But I do know that Radiohead probably has enough fans to make it go number one.

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
Speaking of going number one.. brb..

....ahhh... now where were we? Oh yes, Radiohead. I haven't bothered listening to the album, but I was surprised to see it in stores. Interesting packaging, to say the least.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »
I haven't downloaded the album, and I haven't listened to the album. But I do know that Radiohead probably has enough fans to make it go number one.

I'm one of them.  Kid A is still the best, followed closely by Ok Computer.
On timeout

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
Something I just noticed
It has no singles, let alone hit singles (at least not any that are out yet). WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY IT let alone let it get to NUMBER ONE? Come on, people.
If you're judging the quality of the disk by the number of singles it has, congratulations! You're a moron!

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
Sorry, I get confused sometimes. Which one of us is the guy who has heard the album?

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:26:55 AM »
Any band who can make a odd-metered tune groove the way Radiohead do on the opening track are automatically gods. There's more thought and care put into each one of those songs - even the sparse ones - than most acts put into a whole album. It's quality all the way, and surprisingly angular and more experimental than 99% of number one-selling albums (even if Radiohead have stepped back from the outright Warpist noise of Kid A, an album that by all logical criteria shoudl have been commercial suicide).

In Rainbows is definitely in my top 10 for 2007, alongside The Dear Hunter, Caribou, Circa, Grinderman, Steve Jansen, Ryan Parmenter, Siouxsie, Amon Tobin and Rufus Wainwright.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
Odd-metered tunes are overrated. I know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who tried to dance to that and he broke his legs in 27 places.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:02 PM »
I like you.  You make me laugh.   :D
On timeout

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »
Odd-metered tunes are overrated. I know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who tried to dance to that and he broke his legs in 27 places.
Everything looks like an odd-metered song when I try and dance to anything, that's why I don't dance. I look like Navin Johnson in The Jerk.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »
what is a radiohead? are they like headphones?

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
what is a radiohead? are they like headphones?

....for me to poop on.
On timeout