Author Topic: The Top 50 Movies You Want Rifftrax to Riff Countdown!  (Read 77222 times)

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
The Top 50 Movies You Want Rifftrax to Riff Countdown!
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
Here's how it works!

You were asked to send me a list of your 25 movies you want to see a Rifftrax for. A record setting 40 ballots were received, and the movies were ranked on a point system allowing 25 points for a #1 choice, 24 for a #2, and all the way down to 1 point for #25. The points were added up, and what follows are your selections.

Tiebreakers work like such: If two movies have equal pointage, the movie that appeared on the most lists ranks higher. If those movies appeared on the same amount of lists, I went with whatever ranked highest on the individual list. A movie that was someone's #4 beats another person's #6, for example. And then if they still were tied I just picked.

What we don't want: your entire lists posted, cloggin' up yer thread
What we do want: everything else. Bitch/kick yourself/pontificate as much as you want, because that's the point!

The Top 50 Movies You Want Rifftrax to Riff Countdown begins now. Let your conversations begin!

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
Re: The Top 50 Movies You Want Rifftrax to Riff Countdown!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

50. Braveheart - (1995) - 53 points
(3 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #2 Brak)

Directed by Mel Gibson
Starring Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau and Patrick McGoohan

Synopsis:

"William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce."

Possible Sources of Comedy:

-Lots of big hairy men screaming.
-The unavoidable Mel Gibson jokes
-Gassy noises whenever the Bruces are around.

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

49. High School Musical - (2006) - 54 points
(3 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #2 MontyServo)

Directed by Kenny Ortega
Starring Zac Efron, Vanessa Anne Hudgens and Corbin Bleu.

Synopsis:
"Troy Bolton and Gabriella Montez are two totally different teenagers who meet at a party while singing karaoke on New Years Eve. One week later Troy goes back to his high school, East High, in New Mexico to find that Gabriella is a new student there. They quickly become close, really good friends and accidentally audition for the school musical. After getting a callback, drama queen, Sharpay Evans and her sidekick brother, Ryan are furious. Then Chad, Troy's best friend and basketball teammate, and Taylor, Gabriella's new friend on the decathlon team must find out a way to make Gabriella hate Troy. After seeing that Troy and Gabriella sad about not talking, they soon support their choices and let them 'break free'."

-The fact that the movie is the exact opposite of what high school is actually like.
-Vennessa's *cough* pictures.
-The fact that Zac Efron currently looks like a Final Fantasy character, but will look just like Michael Jackson in 20 years.

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29:10 PM »

48. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - (1979)- 56 points
(3 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #2 jetjaguar13)

Directed by Robert Wise
Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly

Synopsis:
"An alien phenomenon of unprecedented size and power is approaching Earth, destroying everything in its path. The only starship in range is the U.S.S. Enterprise--still in drydock after a major overhaul. As Captain Decker readies his ship and his crew to face this menace, the legendary Admiral James T. Kirk arrives with orders to take command of the Enterprise and intercept the intruder. But it has been three years since Kirk last commanded the Enterprise on its historic five year mission...is he up to the task of saving the Earth?"

-Your usual collection of Star Trek jokes, plus
-bald chicks and
-longass psychedelic space visuals.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »
That's actually more points than I thought the bottom of the list would have.  Should be interesting. 

And if they never riff another Star Trek I'll be a happy guy. 

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »

47. Congo - (1995)- 59 points
(4 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #9 Raven)

Directed by Frank Marshall
Starring Laura Linney, Dylan Walsh and Tim Curry

Synopsis:
"Greed is bad, this simple morality tale cautions. A megalomaniacal C.E.O. sends his son into the dangerous African Congo on a quest for a source of diamonds large enough and pure enough to function as powerful laser communications transmitters (or is it laser weapons?). When contact is lost with his son and the team, his sometime daughter- in-law is sent after them. She is a former CIA operative and, accompanied by gee-whiz gadgetry and a few eccentric characters (including a mercenary, a researcher with a talking gorilla, and a a nutty Indiana-Jones-type looking for King Solomon's Mines), sets out to rescue her former fiance. What they all discover is that often what we most want turns out to be the source of our downfall."

-Lots of people in gorilla suits jumping up and down, including the grey goillas!
-I'd love to see what Rifftrax does against Tim Curry.
-What would a gorilla really say?

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »

47. Congo - (1995)- 59 points
(4 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #9 Raven)

Directed by Frank Marshall
Starring Laura Linney, Dylan Walsh and Tim Curry

Synopsis:
"Greed is bad, this simple morality tale cautions. A megalomaniacal C.E.O. sends his son into the dangerous African Congo on a quest for a source of diamonds large enough and pure enough to function as powerful laser communications transmitters (or is it laser weapons?). When contact is lost with his son and the team, his sometime daughter- in-law is sent after them. She is a former CIA operative and, accompanied by gee-whiz gadgetry and a few eccentric characters (including a mercenary, a researcher with a talking gorilla, and a a nutty Indiana-Jones-type looking for King Solomon's Mines), sets out to rescue her former fiance. What they all discover is that often what we most want turns out to be the source of our downfall."

-Lots of people in gorilla suits jumping up and down, including the grey goillas!
-I'd love to see what Rifftrax does against Tim Curry.
-What would a gorilla really say?

I remember watching the scene where Amy the Gorilla was smoking a cigar and thinking to myself, "Dear God, how in the hell did this movie get made?"

I also remember thinking "there's no WAY that guy isn't Patrick Swayze."

Oh, and "Bruce Campbell was really good in this movie.  Really, he lit up the screen for all 45 of the precious seconds he was on camera."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:48:43 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

46. From Justin to Kelly - (2003)- 59 points
(4 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #3 James of Linhood)

Directed by Robert Iscove
Starring Kelly Clarkson, Justin Guarini and Anika Noni Rose.

Synopsis:
"Spring break in Miami is the scene. It's where surf-drenched guys cruise girls in bikinis and raucous parties rule day and night. It's the perfect time and place for three young women from Texas and a trio of college guys from Pennsylvania to find adventure and maybe even fall in love. In a Texas dive bar, Kelly is singing her heart out to a few local yokels when her best friends Kaya and Alexa try and tempt her away for some fun in the Florida sun. It's an easy sell--even for the cautious Kelly - and the three head for Miami. Making their way to the same destination is the "Pennsylvania Posse": college students Justin, Brandon, and Eddie. Justin and Brandon are smooth-talking party promoters, while Eddie's primed to meet Lizzie, the cyber dream girl he's been e-mailing for months. Miami Beach, beating with a rhythm all its own, is teeming with beautiful people. Kelly's friends are drawn into the beachside fun, while Kelly tentatively navigates a sea of strangers. When her eyes meet Justin's, everything changes--in an instant. While Kaya and Alexa are content to survey the parade of eye candy, Kelly's now only interested in the guy with the irresistible smile. The feeling is mutual, and Justin's on fire. But as luck would have it, he loses Kelly's number--and boy-crazy Alexa has already set her sights on Justin. She will stop at nothing--even betraying a friend--to nab Justin as her own. Will true love win out for the star-crossed Justin and Kelly?"

Hey, I don't write these.

-The American Idol connection.
-The, um... ok, if that's choreography, then I'm a Power Ranger.
-"one-bonnet-shy-Amish" is the new Bonesaw.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
Never seen that one for obvious reasons but I loved the Crossroads and Glitter tracks so I'm all for it.  Same with High School the Musical.  Some of the movies I'd have no inclination to see wind up being my favorite tracks.

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »
High School Musical really has it coming. It has gotten disgustingly popular, especially among girls about 6 years too old to be expected to enjoy that kind of thing...but anyways, the world needs Mike Nelson to clue them into just how stupid the movie is.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
Oh, one more thing I'd like to mention:  I know it's a long shot, but I really hope that at least ONE of Mr. Godfrey Ho's films makes the list.  (Although I must admit, his stuff makes more appropriate Film Crew material).
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 12:04:55 AM »
That's actually more points than I thought the bottom of the list would have.  Should be interesting. 

And if they never riff another Star Trek I'll be a happy guy. 

I agree.  I like Star Trek, and I think the movies are all pretty much average to below average.  I just don't understand people's obsession with having all the movies of a set riffed.  One movie in a set is enough, maybe two (Episodes 1 and 2), anything more just risks duplicating jokes.  It becomes a fulfillment of the nerd's pathological desire to have complete sets, and serves no other purpose.
On timeout

Offline jetjaguar15

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 04:01:35 AM »
This actually placed lower than I thought it might. A bit surprising, but at least it made the list!
BTW, it's jetjaguar15, not 13 :)

48. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - (1979)- 56 points
(3 of 40 lists. Highest ranking - #2 jetjaguar13)

Directed by Robert Wise
Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly

Synopsis:
"An alien phenomenon of unprecedented size and power is approaching Earth, destroying everything in its path. The only starship in range is the U.S.S. Enterprise--still in drydock after a major overhaul. As Captain Decker readies his ship and his crew to face this menace, the legendary Admiral James T. Kirk arrives with orders to take command of the Enterprise and intercept the intruder. But it has been three years since Kirk last commanded the Enterprise on its historic five year mission...is he up to the task of saving the Earth?"

-Your usual collection of Star Trek jokes, plus
-bald chicks and
-longass psychedelic space visuals.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:08:47 AM by jetjaguar15 »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:02:39 AM »
Boy Greg you seem to have put a lot of work into this,thanks.

I am happy with the list so far.

I forgot to put HSM on my list,but it is one of the stupidest things ever made.

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 06:10:51 AM »
Never seen that one for obvious reasons but I loved the Crossroads and Glitter tracks so I'm all for it.  Same with High School the Musical.  Some of the movies I'd have no inclination to see wind up being my favorite tracks.

I'm probably one of the few people who've actually sat through From Justin to Kelly.  I'm guessing that's why it wasn't on many people's lists.  Believe me, it's one of the most riffable movies ever made.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.