Author Topic: Wow, screw this guy.  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
Re: Wow, screw this guy.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
Let's set aside how much we all hate awards shows for a second. The writer's strike is swimming in bullshit. Unions exist to serve only one purpose, and that is to screw you over. They are not in this for "the people". The only ones who get anything out of these strikes are the high-ranking union leaders. The writers are losing money because the WGA is telling them that they have to strike, whether they want to or not. Motherfuck the Union, and everyone who supports it.
I tottally agree with the union thing.....they are quickly going away cuz they fail.......(biggest union in the world?..the soviet union....failure!)..

Yeah!  Take that "the word 'union'"!!!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Do you suggest that [...] writers negotiate contracts for themselves on an individual basis?

YES. If you can't think and do things for yourself, you might as well be a sack of potatoes.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Let's set aside how much we all hate awards shows for a second. The writer's strike is swimming in bullshit. Unions exist to serve only one purpose, and that is to screw you over. They are not in this for "the people". The only ones who get anything out of these strikes are the high-ranking union leaders. The writers are losing money because the WGA is telling them that they have to strike, whether they want to or not. Motherfuck the Union, and everyone who supports it.
I tottally agree with the union thing.....they are quickly going away cuz they fail.......(biggest union in the world?..the soviet union....failure!)..

Yeah!  Take that "the word 'union'"!!!
hey that was a joke ,besides imho I feel they're the same.....all things equal to all men...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:36:00 PM by mike5150 »

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

Why are some union writers allowed to negotiate deals that allow them to return to work? (United Artists & Letterman for example)

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »

Why are some union writers allowed to negotiate deals that allow them to return to work? (United Artists & Letterman for example)

-Rude

Because the companies (Letterman and Ferguson's shows are owned by Letterman's Worldwide Pants company and not CBS) were willing to negotiate with the WGA and come to an agreement.  The networks and other AMPTP members are more interested in posturing than negotiating at this point.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:52:02 PM by Wiseblood »

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
Do you suggest that [...] writers negotiate contracts for themselves on an individual basis?

YES. If you can't think and do things for yourself, you might as well be a sack of potatoes.
I think if Frank Zappa were here he'd never stop slapping you.

The Writer's Guild doesn't negotiate contracts for individual writers any more than the RIAA negotiates record deals for bands.  That's why you have an Agent, a Manager and/or an Entertainment Lawyer.

Besides providing things like health and life insurance to it's members (who as "independent contractors" they probably couldn't afford individually), holding writers workshops , making certain that everyone who should be credited with writing something gets their credit, registering writer's work to protect it from being stolen by others or by studios.....they help keep these Multi-National Corporations from screwing the writers out of money that they're entitled to earn from their work.

Online broadcasting of TV shows is a new thing that makes money for the Owners (because they sell ads) and these writers should be included in that payday.  But the Powers That Be won't even entertain that idea.  That's what the strike is about.

Yeah, if an individual writer goes in to negotiate a contract and they don't ask for payment for internet showings before they sign the deal, that's their problem and they should fire their Manager.  This strike is about the Companies saying that internet showings are off the table from the start - that no writer is entitled to make money from them....no negotiations.

THAT'S why the strike.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »

I cannot repair an engine, butcher a hog nor negotiate a fair contract with the lawyers of one of the largest and wealthiest corporations in the world.  I still think I'm doing alright if I pay other people who know how to do them for me.

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »
I think lots of american workers are sick and tired of their wages stagnating or dropping and their benefits being chiseled away to nothing while the suits make millions of dollars in bonuses every year, and the writers are simply demanding their share of the pie they bake. The goddam stars and the suits make the big bucks while the real talent, the writers, get crumbs. They're tired of it and are demanding a better deal, good for them.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
What's the problem? Does it scare that I tell the truth instead of wallowing in hypocrisy? Do I scare you because I am intelligent?

If a person is unhappy about his job, and he's unable to negotiate to get the changes he wants made, he should either quit, or suck it up, not make everyone else in his field -- most of which ARE happy with their jobs -- strike for some bullshit so they can make money for union bullies who are the only ones that get anything from these kinds of strikes. If you believe that unions and strikes do anybody any good, GET REAL.

I think if Frank Zappa were here he'd never stop slapping you.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:19:18 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 12:20:21 AM »
Man, I wish that I had the world all figured out by the time I was 17. I could imagine though that all that knowledge might cause some stress and make me type out in all caps occasionally.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 01:32:55 AM »
What's the problem? Does it scare that I tell the truth instead of wallowing in hypocrisy? Do I scare you because I am intelligent?

Naw, it's just so painful to see someone who's so very, very wrong and so confident that he's very, very right.

Sadly, we don't live in a world where every organization is a corrupt. evil entity, that must be overthrown. The truth is, this is in the writer's best interests. They had to fight back in the '80s to get a slice of the VHS pie. Now, because they didn't forsee technology moving into a digital age (And how could they) they have to fight again to get a slice of the new-media pie. See, right now, the only profits the writers see (Beyond the meager script sales) is a cut of the profit for television advertising. We live in an era where television is dying a slow but sure death. Once that goes away, all they have left is VHS sales. VHS, of course, has already died a slow lingering death. This allows studios to effectively keep every dime generated by hard-working writers. If it weren't for the union, there would be no way for the writers to collectively stand up against that, because they'd have the options to (As you put it) Suck it up or quit. The unions are providing the third option of fighting it, and that's what the majority of the writers guild members opted to do.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:39 AM »
If you believe that unions and strikes do anybody any good, GET REAL.

Don't be ridiculous.  A very real potential outcome from this strike is that the writers come away with a system in placed to get paid from online content.  Good done.

The unions are providing the third option of fighting it, and that's what the majority of the writers guild members opted to do.

No.  There is no third option.  One or the other.  It's a two party system.  Get real. GET REAL

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
I vote we just go back to the feudal manor days when our lords the king would decide what is best for us.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »
Unions exist to serve only one purpose, and that is to screw you over.

That seems like a pretty narrow view, not to mention completely false.   ::)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »
(biggest union in the world?..the soviet union....failure!)

Thank you Dwight Schrute!  ;D

[yt=425,350]uSKZ8yjs3YM[/yt]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:02:03 AM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.