login

Author Topic: Wow, screw this guy.  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
Wow, screw this guy.
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
Regarding the Writer's Strike, namely its cancellation of the Golden Globes ceremony:

Earlier Monday, NBC Entertainment cochief Ben Silverman told E! News anchor Ryan Seacrest that the network was "obviously trying to find a solution to satisfy fans of these great movies and all the incredible stars who have worked so hard all year and got this incredible opportunity.

"Sadly, it feels like the nerdiest, ugliest, meanest kids in the high school are trying to cancel the prom. But NBC wants to try to keep that prom alive."

What a dick.   ::)

For the full article, clickies : http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=faa0c5ff-020e-4eaa-8778-0b26f88b8f8a&page=2
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:40:30 PM by Courtney »

Doctor Who?

Re: Wow, screw this guy.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »
What was he talking about.

really i read that thing four time and I have no idea what it was about.

Could you post a link to the whole interview so that I can find out what that one sentance was talking about.

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »
NERDS!

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
Well, if Hollywood is like high school, I suppose the writers are the nerds...
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline mlcorcoran

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • role reversal
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
wow, you know somebody has completely sold their soul to NBC when they call a crappy award show a "Prom"

this is like something out of an episode of 30 Rock, where Alec Baldwin's character is a power hungry suit who serves as the "Vice President of Television Programming and Microwave Ovens" at GE / NBC

creativity and corporate mindsets do not go together

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
Again, if Hollywood is like High School, the Golden Globes could be the prom or homecoming.  You know, people dress up and go with people they don't really like just because they're "cool" and will make the other kids talk and then go to a party afterwards and get drunk.  Sounds like the Oscars if you throw in designers and impressive amounts of free stuff.

Although, I don't think comparing your event to the prom is all that flattering.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
Let's set aside how much we all hate awards shows for a second. The writer's strike is swimming in bullshit. Unions exist to serve only one purpose, and that is to screw you over. They are not in this for "the people". The only ones who get anything out of these strikes are the high-ranking union leaders. The writers are losing money because the WGA is telling them that they have to strike, whether they want to or not. Motherfuck the Union, and everyone who supports it.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »
Maybe just to teach all those ugly, mean nerds a lesson all the beautiful stars that have to suffer should just throw a big party and videotape them drinking, doing drugs and having sex. That would show all those nerds that those movie stars can have fun without them.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
I think the attitude of the walking blow-dryied hair-do at NBC pretty much show's their contempt for the "not fit to breath our air" writers and that the strike will go on a long time.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 249
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Let's look at the bigger picture:

Somehow, there's an entire industry that can bring Hollywood to its knees. A show that is nothing more than "a few talking points to introduce the nominees with some crappy jokes thrown in (and maybe some edgy jokes about the current celebrity trainwreck" is actually written by people who then can go on strike to demand more money. Does that seem odd to anyone else but me?

The very idea that the boneheads who made Token Bot Jazz say "What's crackin, Bitches?" get to demand anything is beyond ludicrous.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »
Let's set aside how much we all hate awards shows for a second. The writer's strike is swimming in bullshit. Unions exist to serve only one purpose, and that is to screw you over. They are not in this for "the people". The only ones who get anything out of these strikes are the high-ranking union leaders. The writers are losing money because the WGA is telling them that they have to strike, whether they want to or not. Motherfuck the Union, and everyone who supports it.

Your understanding of the strike seems quite nuanced.  Do you suggest that the union disbands and that writers negotiate contracts for themselves on an individual basis?  How do you feel writers should be compensated for online material that they create?

The very idea that the boneheads who made Token Bot Jazz say "What's crackin, Bitches?" get to demand anything is beyond ludicrous.

Maybe it is the "boneheads" who write 30 Rock, Futurama and The Daily Show that are doing the demanding. 

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »
Somehow, there's an entire industry that can bring Hollywood to its knees. A show that is nothing more than "a few talking points to introduce the nominees with some crappy jokes thrown in (and maybe some edgy jokes about the current celebrity trainwreck" is actually written by people who then can go on strike to demand more money. Does that seem odd to anyone else but me?

It's not so much the lack of writers that's preventing the show going on as normal, it's that the actors are supporting the writers by refusing to cross picket lines to attend. 

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
I tottally agree with the union thing.....they are quickly going away cuz they fail.......(biggest union in the world?..the soviet union....failure!)..but if I understand right the writers do have a point, I thought they just wanted more money from dvds and I tunes stuff... that seems quite reasonable seeing as its their work ::)  I also think its funny that actors are boycotting these awards under the guise of support, yeah its not cuz you wont have anyone writing for you so the world sees what numbskulls you are when you dont have lines to read ;D....thats just mho

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »
he writers are losing money because the WGA is telling them that they have to strike, whether they want to or not.

You are clearly amazingly well informed on the issues as usual Isaac, care to share for the class what percentage of the guild vote was to strike?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 249
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »
Maybe it is the "boneheads" who write 30 Rock, Futurama and The Daily Show that are doing the demanding. 

That's my point - the guys who write The Daily Show and Futurama deserve to demand more, since their writing is actually good. It's the hacks that shouldn't have a say. (I'm looking at you, Bob Orci)