Author Topic: MST3K on Google Video  (Read 4336 times)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Re: MST3K on Google Video
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »
Well I mean, go ahead and get your favorites on DVD. I don't know if the quality is worth it since the closest I have is Catalina Caper on VHS (sound sucks). But don't feel obligated. There's way too many episodes to buy them all.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 7
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • My author website
Re: MST3K on Google Video
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »
Well, if no one buys them, they'll stop releasing more, which would make me sad. As for the 'circulating the tapes' thing, didn't Mallon put the kibosh on that around the time Joel left?

I don't think it was Mallon who made that decision, so much as it was BBI's lawyers.
Besides, "Keep Circulating the Tapes" had a purpose at the time.  The Comedy Channel (as it was called then) had very few cable systems.  The Brains figured anything that got them new fans - who would then bitch at their cable systems to pick up The Comedy Channel - was in their best interest.

And when you consider that this worked to a certain extent...and whatever you think of CC....it did mean eventually getting "The Daily Show" (in it's current format), "The Colbert Report" and "South Park".

And as far as "Don't buy Rhinos because only Jim Mallon makes money off of them"......

Um, hate to tell you this, but unless a TV show was made after the advent of DVD and the people involved had a lot of pull or a good agent....no one appearing on those TV shows on DVD are making a cent off of them.

And I know that with TV of a certain age (because a friend of mine does bookkeeping for a couple who used to write for "All In The Family") the people who wrote those episodes don't get anything from their sale either.  All they get are residuals for broadcast TV.

I don't even think anyone on the original Star Trek, TNG or DS9 make money from those (maybe the ones the actors also directed but even that I'm not sure).

And am I the only one who remembers that the other three members of "Seinfeld" weren't going to do anything connected to the release of the DVDs because they had no financial cut of their release?  All they were going to get were fees for doing commentary - until Seinfeld relented and gave them a taste?

Mallon gets to make the money because (I have to assume) he was the one who was working behind the scenes getting the money and dealing with CC to make it possible for the others to do their work and not have to find the money and dealing directly with CC (while Mallon was also writing, directing and being Gypsy).  And/Or the others didn't think far enough ahead.

But I have my own tapes made at the time, I have downloads and I have Rhinos....  I'd rather have a crisp, clear, no-f*cking-logos-over-Crow-or-anything-else picture from a Rhino DVD....even with the occasional picture glitch.

Sure, I'd rather everyone who worked on it make money from it (even the interns) - but my heart can't bleed for everyone.

This little section of an article written by Orson Scott Card (SciFi writer and member of the Writers Guild) concerns DVD sales and writers benifits...

"We're striking over the deep injury of being cut out of our fair share of DVD and internet sales. The studios think that our share is nothing. Their attitude is, "You got paid the first time around, what's your beef?"

Yes, the writer got paid. Let's say he got $300,000 for writing the script. In 1994. Now the movie is making hundreds of thousands in DVD sales, and the writer hasn't sold a script since 1998. Why should the studio continue to make money from his work, while the writer gets nothing? Isn't it still his script, his story, the words and actions he thought up, that are making all that money?

Writers get a lot of money per script. But before you dismiss us as a bunch of overpaid babies, please remember that we never know where the next check is coming from. Sell a script for $300,000 -- and the film might never get made. You might not sell another script for ten years. Suddenly that wasn't quite as much money as it sounded like at first.

The problem comes back to copyright. The studios require writers to sign work-for-hire contracts, which means that even though the writer invented everything in the script, the studio becomes the legal "author" of the movie.

I think this situation is immoral -- though I've signed those contracts because there's no other choice. It's especially galling because the studios are now fighting to make copyright perpetual, so they can keep making money from long-dead writers' work -- while paying nothing for the privilege."

--Taken from his website www.hatrack.com

SO you see, You are right Plastic Duck, once the writers make the money, they made the money and that is it. So nobody but the studios make any money on the DVDs anyway. Its almost like, if we want to support the writers strike, to treat all movies out of theaters as if it were public domain. Maybe.