Author Topic: Did Joel ever perform additional characters?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6571
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Did Joel ever perform additional characters?
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
I haven't seen this anywhere else, and I was just wondering if Joel ever did any additional characters on MST3K (like Mike was Torgo, etc.)? I dont remember any walk on characters that he did. It seemed like all of the other people in the show played multiple people (even Bridget). Mike did the most, though, and is one of the things that impressed me the most, even before he became host.

Anybody remember?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Did Joel ever perform additional characters?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »
As far as I know Joel stayed Joel.  If he was ever another character it wasn't on an episode I saw.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
He had versatility, but.... not Mike's. He could do Big Blind Gym Guy, Winky, Hugh Beomont, or Gamera.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
Mike always struck me, and not in a bad way, but as being less stately (wrong word, but you get what I'm saying) than Joel.  Mike seemed more willing to do anything to get a laugh.  Not that either is a bad thing.  Perhaps it's just because they ran out material by the time he came around so, "Dress up in a baby's diaper!" sounded hilarious.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
Part of it was that Mike stepped into the multiple roles before he was hosting, so by the time he took the reigns of the show, we'd already seen him as Torgo and a cop and the Amazing Colossal Man, so we could accept him doing pretty much anything.  Since we started with Joel in one role it might have seemed too odd to us to see him suddenly with a fake mustache in Deep 13 or something.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:24:58 AM »
I guess the reason we never saw Joel in any other characters was that Mike was around to do them and the Comedy Central folks did not demand "story arcs" like the SciFi overlords did.    In order to do the stories, they had to have more characters.

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
It seems to me like Joel would be difficult to disguise. He has such a recognizable voice and face, especially during his hosting years.

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
That and Mike is just a wacky guy; we don't question said "mike is in the SOL and now he's in deep 13 with a mustache and little else (oh god my eyes)"

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Thing was - Joel, for the most part, was the straight man to the Bots, The Mads and the Visitors.  The Straight Man has to be a constant entity or there's no structure on which to build your joke.

Even when he was playing the Einstein wannabe in "Emotional Scientist" or the female lead in "My White Goddess" he was still just Joel playing a part.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »
I still like when he played the Amazing Colossal Man. "I'm huge! Ah."

If he ever was on screen twice in the same shot, it would have been audiowise. Was he ever the voice of a recording? Mike talked to himself over the phone in "The Projected Man," so I wonder if Joel ever did the same thing. He had a few audio based inventions. I just can't remember every one. I was too relaxed.