Author Topic: (Off Topic) - Go See Borat. Now!  (Read 5965 times)

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: (Off Topic) - Go See Borat. Now!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Well the results of the Friday box office are in and Borat is #1, brining in $9 million on 800 screens (That is a helluva lot of money for that many screens for those of you who don't follow that kind of stuff).  The closest to it is The Santa Clause 3 with only $5 million and it is on 3,100 screens.  I willing to bet the studio is kicking themselves for having it as such a limited release for opening weekend.

EDIT:  It looks like the weekend totals are in and Borat made an incredible $26 million, more than double its highest forcasts.  The Santa Clause trailed behind with $20 million, which is pretty huge considering its a children's movie and they tend to lead in ticket sales opening weekends.  Its going to be interesting to watch how this one does in the following weeks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:44:12 PM by mrbakasan »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 01:20:35 AM »
Not currently playing near me. Can't wait to see it, though!
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »
Just thought I would chime in. Borat is definitely as great as I had hoped. Gut-bustingly, laugh-out-loud funny. I'm talking big belly laughs here, too. Thankfully, even though I had seen some of the clips online, there is plenty more in the movie that make it worth the 8 or 9 bucks.

Is niiice!

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »
Really no desire to go see it.  I spend enough of my daily life feeling uncomfortable and don't need to pay $8 to watch a big-screen version of Candid Camera-- that type of raw, malicious humor just doesn't appeal to me, plus Jon Stewart has already sent that schitck sailing over the sharktank.  I can get 2.5 Rifftrax for that, with the added bonus of listening to Mike reminice about his glory days as a waiter at TGIFriday's :)

And yet again we agree. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. While the others go see it, you and I should get together and do something -- like not have a slumber party that would attract homicidal maniacs, for example.  ;)
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline tinnyman

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 07:14:58 PM »
I plan to see Borat this week. I am a big fan of Da Ali G Show. Am I the only one who is afraid that all this Borat exposure is going to ruin it all, though? Both Ali G and Borat may be too famous now to continue the gag. I guess the Bruno movie cannot be too far off, though. Wow, this may force Sacha Baron Cohen to actually have to create a fourth character! Or, come up with some other schtick entirely!

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 07:59:34 PM »
I just saw it. I'm getting sick of the word brilliant, but I'll use it anway. It was brilliant. I saw it with my mom and my aunt who both laughed histerically. I'll probably see it again later this week with friends.

Really no desire to go see it.  I spend enough of my daily life feeling uncomfortable and don't need to pay $8 to watch a big-screen version of Candid Camera-- that type of raw, malicious humor just doesn't appeal to me, plus Jon Stewart has already sent that schitck sailing over the sharktank.  I can get 2.5 Rifftrax for that, with the added bonus of listening to Mike reminice about his glory days as a waiter at TGIFriday's :)

oh no, no. Malicious is not the right word to use at all about the humor. Delightfully juvenile at times? Yes. Slapsticky? sure. But it's not mean towards anybody. The people on camera are often making themselves look like complete asses. They're humiliated with very litte assitance from Borat.
You might say it's mean to people in third world countries, but the character is so ridiculous that you can't associate him to any real people.

Try it. You might like it!
I really do like pie.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »
While I wont go so far as to call it brilliant, it was damn funny.  My favorite part was the dinner table scenes, especially (spoiler)

When he brings the bag of shit to the dinner table.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Rufus T

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »
I'll go see it. At least I think I will. I've seen some Borat skits on the Ali G Show. They've always made me laugh. But when I am laughing I am also feeling very uncomfortable. I guess the Borat style of humor is not one that I generally care for. But I will say this, I think Mr. Cohen is a very brilliant and an incredibly brave comedian. I'll probably go see it just out of respect for the body of work.
Aaahh! This movie just throws you violently into the next scene!

Offline graboids

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 09:44:06 AM »
I thought the movie was really funny, but the first season of Ali G is better.  (Some scenes from the movie were done already, and better, on the US show, which I'm guessing were taken from the UK version)

There weren't enough interviews, and the ones that did make the movie weren't long enough.
My favorite scene was at the bed and breakfast when they were throwing money at a certain insect. 

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »
I saw it on Sunday. It was pretty funny, but I think the critics are overrating it. It was basically like 8 new Borat skits from the Ali G show. It must be the male nudity. The last time I saw critics freak out this much over a movie was Sideways, and what did Sideways have? Male nudity, which props up my thesis even more that critics love shlongs. I'm just gonna film myself in the shower and wait for the awards and critical praise to roll in.

It is definitely a single serving movie though.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »
I saw it on Sunday. It was pretty funny, but I think the critics are overrating it. It was basically like 8 new Borat skits from the Ali G show. It must be the male nudity. The last time I saw critics freak out this much over a movie was Sideways, and what did Sideways have? Male nudity, which props up my thesis even more that critics love shlongs. I'm just gonna film myself in the shower and wait for the awards and critical praise to roll in.

It is definitely a single serving movie though.

You have inferior potassium.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
Well you have an ipod mini.  :D

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 09:10:40 AM »
Well you have an ipod mini.  :D

I hate iPods.  "iSuck" would be a better name for it.  You have a mini something else.  Tee-hee.  My sense of humor is far more mature and sophisticated than yours.  For although the pen may be mightier than the sword, my sword is longer than your pen is.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 01:39:25 PM »
Well your sword is no where near as long as my clock radio so IN YOUR FACE!!!!! :o