login

Author Topic: Lobster man from mars, riffable?  (Read 787 times)

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Lobster man from mars, riffable?
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:35:42 PM »
Ok, lobster man from mars is a blatant parody of bad SF movies, in addition to being a "movie in a movie, so can a movie in a movie be riffed?

Mike? Joel? Can we get a ruling here? Has a movie within a movie ever been riffed?
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Lobster man from mars, riffable?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:12 AM »
Haven't seen this one, so I can't say for sure, but I generally don't think parodies are good riffing targets.  Some comedies I think can be, but it's hard to make fun or something that exists to make fun of something else.

For example, I can't see riffing on Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.  It's cheesy as hell, but that's the point, and it laughs at itself the entire time.  From the sound of it, this would be the same type of thing.  A riff would likely be awkward.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:23:43 PM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Lobster man from mars, riffable?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:01:31 AM »
It would have to be a very special comedy or parody I would think.   Catalina Caper was perfect as, even though it was a "comedy" (believe it or not), the jokes fell so flat, the action so bad, the bands so high/tuneless, it was perfect for riffing.    A really funny comedy or sharp parody would be a tough one to accomplish.