Author Topic: Giant of Marathon  (Read 11469 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 10
Giant of Marathon
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »
What did you think sirs?

I found this a delightful addition to the steve reeve's saga and the riffing of greek epics. I also thought the bonus features were delightful, especially the Commentary by Fergurson.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline jetjaguar15

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: Giant of Marathon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
It's tied between this one and KIllers From Space as my favorite of the FC dvd's.

Offline nicomics

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • We're gonna need a bigger Shark.
    • Narcoleptic Insomnia Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
It seems stores round these parts refuse to carry Giant of Marathon....   I still cannot find it.

Looks like I'll have to hit up Amazon...   :speechless:

Offline Zooball

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
  • What more do you want from me?!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:02 AM »
My favorite of the four!
You can normally find me over at OurDarkSkies.com, but only if you like telescopes. :D

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
My favorite of the four!

Me too.   I thought it had far and away the best riffing of the four releases.  But I'm not surprised that Wongo seems to be the leader in the 'best Film Crew' poll.  I learned from MST that many fans seem to rate the movie itself and not the riffing.  Since Wongo was one of those super-silly bad films that was more fun to watch than the other three, than that's the one that wins.

Offline fortytwice

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • www.myspace.com/fortytwice
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »
Yeah, hands down my number one. Though Killers From Space comes a close second. 

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
I learned from MST that many fans seem to rate the movie itself and not the riffing.

Ain't that the truth.   ;)

Offline Zooball

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »
I learned from MST that many fans seem to rate the movie itself and not the riffing

I agree.  Fan selections for MST3K and Spongebob always make my head twist sideways with a whimper.
You can normally find me over at OurDarkSkies.com, but only if you like telescopes. :D

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »
I learned from MST that many fans seem to rate the movie itself and not the riffing

I agree.  Fan selections for MST3K and Spongebob always make my head twist sideways with a whimper.

"I didn't like that episode...the movie sucked..."

IT'S SUPPOSED TO!!!!   ::)

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:29 AM »
Well, a movie can suck for riffing as well as just generally suck.
I will admit that as there are two or three that I thought weren't worth their time....at least compared to movies they didn't do (and one that I've heard that they passed on  :'().

But that's not what some of these people are saying.  They say that they thought the riffing was good but "had to turn it off because the movie was so bad"....examples that come to mind are Hamlet and Monster A-Go-Go.

That's what I don't get.

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
I have to go with Imrahil on this one. 

Whether it's good or bad, the movie has to provide the straight lines for the jokes.  The riffers can make a awful movie funny if the film has enough going on, but certain kinds of films defy mockery by refusing to provide any kind of comprehensible riffing fodder.  Castle of Fu Manchu is a perfect example of this.  I really enjoyed Hamlet, but I'm already intimately familiar with the play.  I understand that people who aren't will probably be too frustrated by the heavily accented Elizabethan English to pay attention to the funny commentary.

And then some movies are just so horrible or distasteful that they actively block your enjoyment of the riffing.  Saw was like that, for me anyway.  I have to get past the movie before the riffers can work their charms on me.
I thought I was Dale.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Well, I definitely understand it.  Battlefield Earth was pretty much that way for me.

I can understand it in the Rifftrax/Film Crew manifestation.  You're stuck with the entire movie, no skits and lots of long periods of silence from the riffers.

MST3K, if parts of the movie didn't work they cut them out.  Look at This Island Earth.

Offline Zooball

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
I have gone back to watch MST3K/Hamlet, and actually find it funny now.  However, when it was first broadcast, "What the hell....?"  Pod People was the same way for me, and Merlin's shop of funny toy monkeys.

Monster-a-go-go is just plain funny, but Hobgoblins needs pain medication taken before viewing.

Steve Reeves was my favorite Hercules of the classic sword-and-sandal era, so when Film Crew/GofM came out I was very happy with the choice.  Also, being an amateur astronomer I was pretty tickled with the M31/galaxy jokes.

Now, if somebody will please riff the pilot episode of the Kevin Sorbo Hercules!

Offline trollt3rd

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • One angry troll
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:54:23 AM »
I thought HE looked familiar...  ;)

The Spartan character is played by Sergio Ciani. 
MST3K fans may know him by his other moniker: "Alan Steele".

2 Hercules in 1 movie?  What's not to like?

Be forewarned: early on, the film features Reeves & Steele "easing into it".  :o
Also, the movie suffers from a serious "breast deficit".

:rimshot:

PS: How could i forget? 
The villain is played by Sergio Fantoni, who also played the villain in "Hercules Unchained".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:00:44 AM by trollt3rd »