Author Topic: The Funny Pictures Thread  (Read 1111720 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4051
Re: The Funny Pictures Thread
« Reply #12015 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »
If you are referring to me, thank you, I appreciate the thought, but still photos of 'after-the-fact' accidents don't really do much to me (unless they are of the car I was in for mine [luckily that was totalled after the third one, so I never had to see it again]).  It is the active video in GIFs that trigger my PTSD, because my brain processes the video and thinks I'm about to be hit yet again (after three of 'em, it's hard to get rid of that particular trigger).

But whether you were referring to me or others here, I don't feel it is 'required' of people to do so... to 'LucasM-proof' the boards (the equivalent of the trend of 'baby-proofing' the U.S. that I dislike).  I mean, I certainly appreciate it when it is done cuz' I don't like my heartrate and blood pressure suddenly jumping massively and requiring extra meds to calm back down, but I don't feel people 'should' do it, like, as if it were part of the Forum rules or something.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:06:21 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #12016 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:25 AM »
And now for something completely different...

Lounge Lizards:
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2269
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12017 on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »

I hope there were no causalities, but..... ;D

How did that happen?  The front bumper of the car is untouched, only the hood is peeled back, and from the looks of it something pushed it back only in the center...  Even the engine is mostly untouched, only the air filter got ejected...

Hitting a truck with a long pipe sticking out the back at just the right height?

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #12018 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »

How did that happen?  The front bumper of the car is untouched, only the hood is peeled back, and from the looks of it something pushed it back only in the center...  Even the engine is mostly untouched, only the air filter got ejected...

Hitting a truck with a long pipe sticking out the back at just the right height?
That looks kind of like my Saturn did after I wrecked it.  I wasn't paying attention and rear ended a Ford F-150 pickup truck.  Except I didn't exactly rear end it, because it was much higher than my car.  I just sort of saw the front of my car go under and the hood get scraped upward.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #12019 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »

That looks kind of like my Saturn did after I wrecked it.  I wasn't paying attention and rear ended a Ford F-150 pickup truck.  Except I didn't exactly rear end it, because it was much higher than my car.  I just sort of saw the front of my car go under and the hood get scraped upward.

Yeah, I'd say it looks like it hit the back of a trailer on an 18-wheeler. They have the bar on the back so a car won't go under it, but small, low cars like that still hit it at about that height. Or perhaps, like you said, a jacked-up pickup truck.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3207
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12020 on: December 10, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »

Yeah, I'd say it looks like it hit the back of a trailer on an 18-wheeler. They have the bar on the back so a car won't go under it, but small, low cars like that still hit it at about that height. Or perhaps, like you said, a jacked-up pickup truck.
Yeah I was gonna say an 18-wheeler trailer :o

UncleDesmond

« Reply #12021 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

Paint me like one of your French drunken hobos.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2269
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12022 on: December 10, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »

What gets me is the sides of the engine compartment are untouched as well, what ever it was grabbed only the hood in the middle and crushed it back.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #12023 on: December 10, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »

What gets me is the sides of the engine compartment are untouched as well, what ever it was grabbed only the hood in the middle and crushed it back.

Yeah, and did so enough so that it was pushed back far enough to also start crushing the windshield.

From about my mid-20s I thought that there should be a federal law requiring that all bumpers, on all vehicles, needed to be the exact same height off of the ground.  As this shows, with their being no standardization, they are often useless.  If this person hit whatever it was going another maybe 15-20mph, it would have crushed back far enough to where the windshield was - literally - in their face and they likely would not have survived.  That, while the majority of their car and its engine were fine.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12024 on: December 10, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
I saw a TV show many years ago... might have been on PBS or maybe an episode of 20/20 or something... But it was about how trucks in most of Europe were required to have exactly those kind of safety bumpers... That wouldn't allow a regular passenger car to dive under the rear of the truck in a collision. The US didn't have such regulations and they showed some pretty crazy crash test videos of passenger compartments getting sheared off from the A-pillar, prime decapitation territory. I will change lanes as soon as possible whenever I am behind trucks like that, flat bed tow-trucks are the worst, with the flat bed seeming to extend 10 feet out from the rear axles and a 'bumper' that appears high enough off the ground to where my car could dive underneath it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1220
« Reply #12025 on: December 10, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »
I saw a TV show many years ago... might have been on PBS or maybe an episode of 20/20 or something... But it was about how trucks in most of Europe were required to have exactly those kind of safety bumpers... That wouldn't allow a regular passenger car to dive under the rear of the truck in a collision. The US didn't have such regulations and they showed some pretty crazy crash test videos of passenger compartments getting sheared off from the A-pillar, prime decapitation territory. I will change lanes as soon as possible whenever I am behind trucks like that, flat bed tow-trucks are the worst, with the flat bed seeming to extend 10 feet out from the rear axles and a 'bumper' that appears high enough off the ground to where my car could dive underneath it.

Yes, but this is why car chases in American action movies are some of the best in the world.  If you can't speed under a truck in your Ferrari, what's the point?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8260
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12026 on: December 11, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »

I thought it was De Niro!

Offline Jason Martian

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 201
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • The Martian's web site
« Reply #12027 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5174
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12028 on: December 11, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3757
« Reply #12029 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »
There's a part of me that's annoyed that they're not actually sweaters.