Author Topic: The Funny Pictures Thread  (Read 1288710 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: The Funny Pictures Thread
« Reply #11475 on: September 08, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »

I swear, the Oatmeal must have drawn this for me.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11476 on: September 09, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »

You apparently didn't grow up in Texas, where high school football is like a religion, therefore it is required to at least know what the hell is going on in (American) football. Even played it (badly) for a year in 6th grade. Still a great illustration of the overall silliness of the sport.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11477 on: September 09, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »

Made me think of this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nw2S8dGmJ1c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nw2S8dGmJ1c</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11478 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »

Me too. Although I was figuring at the end after describing it that way, the football fan would call the other guy gay for not following the game.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11479 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »

Me too. Although I was figuring at the end after describing it that way, the football fan would call the other guy gay for not following the game.

Made me think of this. Spoiler'd for size and somewhat immaturity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It'd also help if I made it an actual image.  :speechless:

Offline Satellite of Love

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 631
  • We Got Movie Sign!!
« Reply #11480 on: September 09, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11481 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »

Made me think of this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nw2S8dGmJ1c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nw2S8dGmJ1c</a>

Yeah, I'm more in the video's camp.  As someone who doesn't care for sports in general, I really don't really care for sports hate.  I'm not really a sports guy, with the exception of when I play soccer with orphans (those orphans are good) and when I did Hap Ki Do.  I certainly don't watch sports (except in fiction.  I love sports manga), but I respect it.  I think when you start saying things like only jocks enjoy or play sports, who are severely limiting your world view.

I think the problem is that people are letting a certain kind of fan (who are also very vocal) colour their view of it.  Sort of like how in politics and religion there are lots of even headed people, but the ones who work hard to make themselves are often the asses or crazies.  Or Big Lebowski fans.  It's a fantastic movie, but man the fans can often be a real turn off and are what prevented me from seeing the movie for a long time.

Or World of Warcraft.  My eyes will totally glaze over when my friends talk about it, I admit.  There's to many technical terms and even for someone who plays video games, their short hands make it impenetrable.  But my friends often think that I hate it.  I don't hate it.  I'm not really interested in it either, but I understand that it is probably a fun game and that whether I liked it or not if I played it, it would be wrong to just dismiss it.

So in short, I am in favour of eyes glazing over if you can't get into a thing, but just don't assume it's for dummies, just because it's not for you.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11482 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:55 AM »

Just like Wings Hauser.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11483 on: September 10, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11484 on: September 10, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »

Football is the worst, but by no means the only offender.  It shouldn't be attached to schools, there shouldn't be scholarships for it, and phys ed should be about fitness, not games.
^^^ THIS! This, a MILLION times!

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11485 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »
I like that there's literally no topic that Imrahil can't turn around into some pissy rant.

I like the sentiment though.  I also think that we should detach things I personally dislike from schools.  So pretty much the entirety of humanities, philosophy, literature, and the whole general field of liberal arts.  It's education for the sake of education instead of education for the sake of learning useful skills.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:28:36 AM by Thrifty Version II »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11486 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:15 AM »
People just get too worked up about it. There is some utter hatred between fans of rival teams. Some people get angry or depressed if their team doesn't win (and in my ex brother-in-law's case, turn to drink). Some people watch sports for hours and hours while neglecting their family. Some parents force their kids into sports leagues where they spend every waking moment in practices and neglect every other aspect of their lives.

Hating on someone who is casually watching sports is stupid. Judging someone because their obsession with sports has turned them into a complete a-hole is totally different.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11487 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »
Of course obsessive sports fan are annoying assholes... but people obsessive about anything are annoying assholes... So I don't blame sports.

I've known a number of former college athletes, I've worked with a former D1 football player for the last 15 years. There is no way he would have been able to afford to go to a 4 year university without an athletic scholarship. While he was good enough to get invited to an NFL camp as an extra body, he never had any legitimate shot to make a career out of it... This holds true for the vast majority of college athletes. Most of them become everyday boring professional worker drones. This isn't to say that things haven't gotten out of hand... or that education has taken a backseat for big money football / basketball players... but I don't think you throw out the baby with the bath water.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11488 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
Liberal Arts majors, athletes and mill workers... what else does a thriving economy need?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11489 on: September 10, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »