Author Topic: The Funny Pictures Thread  (Read 1250481 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: The Funny Pictures Thread
« Reply #6870 on: May 20, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6871 on: May 20, 2012, 06:35:45 AM »

Wow, that is a poor PC software put together fake sign.....

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1475
« Reply #6872 on: May 20, 2012, 06:48:20 AM »

Wow, that is a poor PC software put together fake sign.....

Not to mention that it's also somewhat untrue.  While the fumes of gasoline are flammable, gasoline in liquid form is not.  I was working on a film at a gas station when one of the crew was smoking.  The guy saw the owner of the gas station walk by and remembered himself, apologized to the owner, and put out his cigarette.  In response the owner proceed to light a cigarette and then flicked it into a puddle of gas on the ground, where it sizzled and went out in one of the most bad ass ways to prove a point that I've been fortunate enough to witness.

It was only slightly ruined when the owner told him that he probably shouldn't smoke on set for other reasons.  But still.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #6873 on: May 20, 2012, 07:07:54 AM »
Not to mention that it's also somewhat untrue.  While the fumes of gasoline are flammable, gasoline in liquid form is not.  I was working on a film at a gas station when one of the crew was smoking.  The guy saw the owner of the gas station walk by and remembered himself, apologized to the owner, and put out his cigarette.  In response the owner proceed to light a cigarette and then flicked it into a puddle of gas on the ground, where it sizzled and went out in one of the most bad ass ways to prove a point that I've been fortunate enough to witness.

It was only slightly ruined when the owner told him that he probably shouldn't smoke on set for other reasons.  But still.

Yeah, they did this one on Mythbusters as well, and kept running into the same problem. The puddle of gas just made their ignition source go out.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6874 on: May 20, 2012, 07:38:31 AM »

Gasoline (in liquid form) definitely is flammable. However, like all forms of fire, it needs oxygen, and only the gas at the surface is exposed to oxygen. In the incident you described, the gas probably burned off before it reached it's flash point.

Gasoline vapor OTOH is combustible. If you surround a flammable molecule with enough Oxygen for it to catch fire, but still close enough to the surrounding molecules that it can ignite them, then you have something that's explosive.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1475
« Reply #6875 on: May 20, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »

Gasoline (in liquid form) definitely is flammable. However, like all forms of fire, it needs oxygen, and only the gas at the surface is exposed to oxygen. In the incident you described, the gas probably burned off before it reached it's flash point.

Gasoline vapor OTOH is combustible. If you surround a flammable molecule with enough Oxygen for it to catch fire, but still close enough to the surrounding molecules that it can ignite them, then you have something that's explosive.

Figured there was a better explanation than what I had.  Thanks.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #6876 on: May 20, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
Yeah. It may not light in a puddle - but there are potentially enough vapours (even with the safety precautions) around a gas station that it's a good idea to just not light up around one at all.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6877 on: May 20, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Yeah. It may not light in a puddle - but there are potentially enough vapours (even with the safety precautions) around a gas station that it's a good idea to just not light up around one at all.
Let's test that theory..

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6878 on: May 20, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4359
« Reply #6879 on: May 20, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
Spoilered for zombie prosthetics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6880 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
Spoilered for zombie prosthetics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, CBS is the old people chanel.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #6881 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »

That is so freaking cool.  Funny and perfectly executed.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #6882 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6883 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #6884 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
it works on two levels... getting pissed on and pissing yourself!