Author Topic: The Funny Pictures Thread  (Read 1289359 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: The Funny Pictures Thread
« Reply #11460 on: September 07, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
seriously? i feel really awkward when people call me mister [insert last name here].

edit: although, i will try to force my family to call me "the doctor" once i've defended my thesis.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of casual first name basis. I almost never call people who aren't my personal friends anything other than "sir" or "ma'am". Just how I grew up.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #11461 on: September 07, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
seriously? i feel really awkward when people call me mister [insert last name here].

edit: although, i will try to force my family to call me "the doctor" once i've defended my thesis.

The Doctor thing when it's just a PhD gets old quick: I insist everyone call me by my first name.

"just" a PhD
If a dimwatt like me can get one....

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11462 on: September 08, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11463 on: September 08, 2013, 04:09:16 AM »

The Doctor thing when it's just a PhD gets old quick: I insist everyone call me by my first name.

"just" a PhD
I don't think he was belittling the respectability of a PHD or the effort involved in getting one.  I think he was saying  "just a PHD" instead of a medical doctorate.  Like, if you have Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones right next to each other, you're using the salutation of "Dr." on both.  But Dr. Smith is a board certified physician and Dr. Jones has a PHD in Archaeology.  If you get seriously ill, Dr. Smith can save your life but Dr. Jones cannot.  Dr. Jones cannot because he's just a PHD type of doctor.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11464 on: September 08, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »

UncleDesmond

« Reply #11465 on: September 08, 2013, 05:32:51 AM »

"just" a PhD
I don't think he was belittling the respectability of a PHD or the effort involved in getting one.  I think he was saying  "just a PHD" instead of a medical doctorate.  Like, if you have Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones right next to each other, you're using the salutation of "Dr." on both.  But Dr. Smith is a board certified physician and Dr. Jones has a PHD in Archaeology.  If you get seriously ill, Dr. Smith can save your life but Dr. Jones cannot.  Dr. Jones cannot because he's just a PHD type of doctor.
Yes, we are all "on the same page" here :)

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11466 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:50 AM »
It implies that getting an md is somehow more difficult or respectable, which is whwt I disagree with.
That's just something you're inferring.  It seems much more likely that the implication is that they are distinctly different skill sets.  This seems even more likely considering the statement was made by a PHD.

There was a movie called Whitecoats about a bunch of medical interns.  Late in the movie, there was a big car accident, lots of injuries to be treated.  When the interns and attending physicians were overwhelmed, they asked the Chief of Medicine, Dr. Kipp, to help treat patients.  He pointed out that he doesn't know anything about medicine, and that he goes by Dr. Kipp because he has a PHD in Hospital Administration.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:48:27 AM by Thrifty Version II »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11467 on: September 08, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

"just" a PhD

Except for the fact that you guys just besmirched Indiana Jones' doctorate degree and his ability to save my life. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to die, I'm trusting Dr Jones any day of the week.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11468 on: September 08, 2013, 06:53:05 AM »
I'd not rely on him if a nuclear strike was immanent, I just don't trust the results of his field experiments on that subject.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11469 on: September 08, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11470 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #11471 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »

UncleDesmond

« Reply #11472 on: September 08, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

"just" a PhD

Except for the fact that you guys just besmirched Indiana Jones' doctorate degree and his ability to save my life. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to die, I'm trusting Dr Jones any day of the week.
That was cold.

The fridge, not your comment.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #11473 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #11474 on: September 08, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »

I think I would have liked that better if it wasn't all one person taping them up at the same time.  Shakespeare is the only one that looks like it was added by a 2nd person.