Author Topic: The Funny Pictures Thread  (Read 1352136 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
Re: The Funny Pictures Thread
« Reply #10785 on: June 17, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »
Hunh... most people don't take the time for a full bath before work...

To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4840
« Reply #10786 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1694
« Reply #10787 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My favorite part is that even without the silly addition of 'virus protection', HDMI is a digital signal, shielding isn't important. Shielding is only a big deal with analog signals.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185

Offline Satellite of Love

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 631
  • We Got Movie Sign!!
« Reply #10789 on: June 17, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #10790 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

I hear him, in Sterling Holloway's voice saying,

"Oh, bother!"

I hear: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/3268919/file.html

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #10791 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:46 AM »

My favorite part is that even without the silly addition of 'virus protection', HDMI is a digital signal, shielding isn't important. Shielding is only a big deal with analog signals.
I think that HDMI still travels over standard copper wire, and as such is still subject to EM interference, so shielding still has its uses.  Shielded twisted pair is used in LANs which carry a digital signal throughout a building.  It's when you move away from copper wire into fiber optics that shielding becomes irrelevant, because of light signals instead of electrical ones.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10792 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

I think that HDMI still travels over standard copper wire, and as such is still subject to EM interference, so shielding still has its uses.  Shielded twisted pair is used in LANs which carry a digital signal throughout a building.  It's when you move away from copper wire into fiber optics that shielding becomes irrelevant, because of light signals instead of electrical ones.

I've never seen a shielded CAT5 cable, even on several hundred foot long runs.  I assume they must exist for installs in very high EM noise areas, but I've just never seen one.  The cool thing about twisted pair is it's ability to cancel EM noise and crosstalk.  The phone system has been relying on that aspect since it was invented, it allows for hundreds of twisted pairs to be packed into one cable with little crosstalk between them.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10793 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »

I'm at work and having trouble researching on my phone, but from what I've read in the past, a digital signal is checked for accuracy when it reaches it's destination, and is unlike an analog signal that is just a measure of changing voltages that can be influenced more easily by outside sources.  When I get home I'll look harder for a source.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10794 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
Twisted pair does not require shielding.  It is two equal and opposite signals.  If they both get shifted by noise, they both get shifted the same direction the same amount, but you still have a low and a high.

On digital signals, EMI does not result in a degraded end product like analog does.  With analog this would be like poor reception with rabbit ears.  EMI can cause a digital signal to become so corrupted that it is not readable, and this would result in loss of information.  On a digital TV it's like when the image turns to blocks, or just goes completely black. 

It can also result in slower data transfer because if a receiver detects a dropped packet, it will ask for it again, and again, and again....all wasted tasks.

Another reason to shield a digital signal is to protect other more sensitive signals around it.  Data transfer is usually very high frequency, and can jump on to other nearby cables.

All this said.....Monster Cables are still a waste.  Most home entertainment scenarios are not noisy enough to justify the added expense.  Buy the cheap cables, and if it works, great!...if not, move your HAM radio out of your family room.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7105
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10795 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
ha! shows what you know: mine's a roast radio.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #10796 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
All this said.....Monster Cables are still a waste.  Most home entertainment scenarios are not noisy enough to justify the added expense.  Buy the cheap cables, and if it works, great!...if not, move your HAM radio out of your family room.
Also, they're usually entombed in that impossible to open plastic packaging. What the fuck is up with that????  They're too thick for scissors, so I need a knife.  Except the casing is so tough that I have to jab it in real hard and hope I don't hit some place where I'll damage the product.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10797 on: June 18, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
It can also result in slower data transfer because if a receiver detects a dropped packet, it will ask for it again, and again, and again....all wasted tasks.

This is what I was remembering. Thanks! 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10798 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »

I hear him, in Sterling Holloway's voice saying,

"Oh, bother!"

I hear: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/3268919/file.html

That could be RVR II on the beach after drinking.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10799 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »