login

Author Topic: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread  (Read 130938 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
Re: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread
« Reply #1230 on: July 26, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
Diet Dr. Pepper and Cream Soda
I like it, but it's strange. Some sips taste almost like regular Diet Dr. Pepper, other sips taste almost like regular Diet Cream Soda- like a layered dessert even though that's not really possible with a liquid.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1231 on: July 26, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
Made healthy tortillas today.
One batch with zuchini, onions, eggs, and cheese. One batch with spinach, almond flour, a little cheese, and eggs. Both good, zuchini batch better, but had a much finer line between under and over cooked and ruined a couple by over cooking. Might use zuchini in place of the spinach using the spinach receipe next time. Smoked chicken breasts yesterday, so smoked chicken tacos for lunch.

I'll add that silicone baking sheets are awesome. First time using them. In past would have gone through a lot of parchment paper, but no need for even olive oil spray when using the silicone and it's reusuable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:06:26 AM by wihogfan »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3101
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1232 on: July 26, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
I'll add that silicone baking sheets are awesome. First time using them. In past would have gone through a lot of parchment paper, but no need for even olive oil spray when using the silicone and it's reusuable.

I got some for making pretzels, but have been using them for lots of other stuff, they are amazing and I wish had bought some years ago...  Anything baked just comes right off them without anything sticking, and any burnt residue that you would normally have to scrub off a metal sheet just wipes off with a little detergent on a sponge.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1233 on: August 03, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »
One of the things I missed most when giving up sugar a few years ago was BBQ sauce. Made my own sugar free sauce for a couple of  years and results were mixed- some turned out good, some not. Found a line under the G Hughes name that is easy to find (Walmart carries it) that doesn't cost an outrageous amount and is good. G Hughes recently started expanding to other sugar free sauces and marinades. Basted some chicken breasts with G Hughes Sugar Free Teriyaki Marinade tonight as they were grilling and holy crap are they great.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5552
« Reply #1234 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
Wait, what?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1235 on: August 22, 2020, 04:07:30 PM »
Smoked a rack of pork ribs with apple wood for 8 hours. Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper as a rub. Started spraying every 45 minutes after 4 hours with a mix of water, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and whiskey to keep them from drying out. Best ribs ever.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1236 on: September 07, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
Learned how to make kaiser roll knots today.  First few were a little funky looking but the next 4 looked good.  Trick was to not be afraid of breaking the dough.  The recipe I used was from King Arthur Flour and made a fairly strong dough so it was easy to stretch and tie into the correct shape.

Angus Bubba burgers on fresh rolls for labor day:

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1237 on: September 08, 2020, 07:10:07 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1238 on: September 08, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »
Jelly Belly goes full Willy Wonka...
https://screencrush.com/jelly-belly-treasure-hunt-golden-tickets/
I'm hoping it's viral marketing and they're finally making that Gobstopper movie.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1239 on: October 01, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
So the supreme court in Ireland has ruled that Subway bread is not legally bread (because the law limits the amount of sugar for bread to be tax free)...

My first thought was:  There's 10% sugar in Subway bread?  That's about a tablespoon of sugar per cup of flour.  Half that amount is the most I ever add when making regular bread or rolls, and that's only when I want it to rise faster, so most of the time it's 1/4 that amount.

So in a foot long sub you are probably getting 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar just from the roll.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1240 on: October 01, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
Yeah, I like Subway (Probably because of those 2 tablespoons of sugar) but I don't know how they ever managed to get an image as a healthy food option.

https://www.theonion.com/horrified-subway-execs-assumed-people-were-buying-footl-1819595719

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1241 on: October 01, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
I get foot longs so I can have a sub for lunch the next day.  Two meals for the price of one.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1242 on: October 03, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
Pork shoulder on sale this week. After 4 hours in the smoker, got the typical stall at 170 degrees. At hour 6 still at 170 when it started raining really hard, so had to cheat by wrapping it in foil and finishing it in the oven. Turned out good. Used diet 7-up and apple cider vinegar to keep it from drying out this time and turned out far sweeter - in a good way - than I was expecting.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1243 on: December 04, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
Lately I've been slicing up grape tomatoes to use as pizza topping, they don't cause sogginess like full size ones and taste just as good if not better.

Trying out baby portobellos sliced thin for a topping for the first time tonight.