login

Author Topic: The Science Thread  (Read 101297 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The Science Thread
« Reply #975 on: August 15, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
With all due respect to space exploration, I think it's important we allocate our resources to first deal with the problems we have down here on Earth. Let's worry about exploring Mars later, otherwise they might not have an Earth to return to.

The space program drives lots of technological innovations that improve life here on Earth, and the robotic exploration programs probably do that even better than manned missions.  So I guess I agree that sending a crew to Mars in my lifetime (next 30 years) would not be worth the cost.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 743
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #976 on: August 15, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »
With all due respect to space exploration, I think it's important we allocate our resources to first deal with the problems we have down here on Earth. Let's worry about exploring Mars later, otherwise they might not have an Earth to return to.

The space program drives lots of technological innovations that improve life here on Earth, and the robotic exploration programs probably do that even better than manned missions.  So I guess I agree that sending a crew to Mars in my lifetime (next 30 years) would not be worth the cost.

The problem with this line of thinking is that there will always be problems to take care of here on Earth. If we wait until everything here is perfect before going to Mars, we'll never go to Mars.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #977 on: August 15, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »
The problem with this line of thinking is that there will always be problems to take care of here on Earth. If we wait until everything here is perfect before going to Mars, we'll never go to Mars.
I know but some problems exist on a scale like from minor to... really fucking bad. Right now, shit is really fucking bad. I'm not saying Earth shouldn't have any problems before we send Gary Sinise and his crew of brave Astronauts to Mars, but we just need to make this a halfway decent planet before we go and start fucking up other planets.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #978 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »
The way the climate is changing I think we should expedite colonizing Mars or start building a Battlestar Galactica to take us to Alpha Centari  :-\
Trying to make a laugh out of something serious but I really don't think we should stop reachingfor the stars.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #979 on: October 08, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
i'm not gonna be excited about the (physics) nobel prize until someone comes up with a time machine so they can go back and give nobels to annie jump cannon, henrietta swan leavitt, lise meitner, vera rubin, and emmy noether.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:23:17 PM by goflyblind »
dF = 0
d*F = J