login

Author Topic: Were Mike & Kevin Too Harsh?  (Read 18087 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: Were Mike & Kevin Too Harsh?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:28 PM »
Toast seems to be a theme these days. Is toast the new spork? :)

It's paying tribute to our benevolent toaster overlord DisembAudio.

Offline Harblar

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
    • Dancing Porkchop Productions
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 07:55:05 PM »
What can I say? I'm a die hard Star Wars fan and I laughed so hard at this riff I nearly passed out two or three times.  I'd just heard of Riff Trax the other day on G-4 and gotta say this brought back all the kicks I got out of MST3K and more.

I liked TPM when it first opened in theaters. The first time I saw it after I was mildly bored, and every time I've watched it since it has become progressively worse and worse and worse! I never did like Jar Jar and have always hated Jake Loyd (please, oh please, oh please riff Jingle all the way next!) ;) , and the comments on these two characters were the best. comparing  jar jar to roger rabbit (can't remember the full line) had me crying!

I also got a huge kick out of the references to Mitchell, SD. "Home of the Corn Palace"  I live about 90 miles north of there and I can easily see the comparison to Tatooine. :D

I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to (or should ever) watch this movie with out this accompanying Riff again...  hmmmm....  Think it's time to break out the Video editing software and make my own personal "Special Edition". ;)

Keep up the good work guys. I look forward to your next set of riffs. (maybe a stab at episode 2... perhaps?) ::)

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Did you know...?
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 10:23:07 PM »
Dear Harblar,

We appreciate your interest in the RiffTrax edition of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.  We would like to welcome you to the forums and invite you to sample other RiffTrax titles from our growing library.

Additionally, we ask you to please fill out this brief questionaire:

1.  How would you rate your RiffTrax experience?
    1= Great  2= Fantastic  3= OMFG! ROFLMAO!  4= Pie  5= I pledge my undying soul to Mike Nelson

2.  Would you reccommend RiffTrax to a friend?     Yes     No     Pie

3.  Would you say a person with a Trigun avatar is:
    A. Nerdy
    B. Very nerdy
    C. Uber-nerdy
    D. Pie
    E. the subject of good-natured ribbing

We appreciate your input and look forward to your repeat business.

Sincerely,

RiffTrax Community
Snowhead the Blue Reindeer gave me all the presents in the world.

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Did you know...?
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 10:31:16 PM »
The answer to 3 is "E".  Just kidding about the Trigun thing, Harblar.  I'm one to talk.  On a different message board I use an Azumanga Daioh avatar.  Of course I don't know if that makes me an ironic nerd or a creepy pervert.

Food for thought.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 11:28:03 PM »
Trigun is second only to Cowboy Bebop, which in turn is second only to Excel Saga, which is second again to Trigun.

That's my Anime Jon Ken. (And my western spelling) :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 11:37:42 PM »
Cowboy Bebop is awesome. Trigun is cool. Excel Saga is like Satan injecting a fresh, steaming turd into your brain, then making you pay him for the privilege. But I did like FLCL, for what it's worth. The Pillows soundtrack goes a long way.

Offline TOR

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Time for go to rifftrax forum...
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 01:24:36 AM »
Just saying "He's terrible" was also kind of stupid. C'mon, Mike come up with something better than just an outright attack on the poor guy!

But they later backed it up with, "Is Frank Oz controlling this kid?"  I thought that was hilarious, so they just didn't let it lie with "He's terrible."  And that was funny to me because of the way Mike delivered it-- it wasn't just a flat read.  His tone was half wonder, half laughter:  Why did you do this to us, George?  That in and of itself was commentary, and is the type of thing one of my friends would say while watching the film.  His performance made it a riff rather than just a slam.
I am agree with. HAHAHA! That is funny! Next time be better.

Offline Harblar

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Dancing Porkchop Productions
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
Dear Harblar,

We appreciate your interest in the RiffTrax edition of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.  We would like to welcome you to the forums and invite you to sample other RiffTrax titles from our growing library.

Additionally, we ask you to please fill out this brief questionaire:

1.  How would you rate your RiffTrax experience?
    1= Great  2= Fantastic  3= OMFG! ROFLMAO!  4= Pie  5= I pledge my undying soul to Mike Nelson

3 or 5, so... uh... Pie?  I guess :D

2.  Would you reccommend RiffTrax to a friend?     Yes     No     Pie

Already Have. I'll probably watch this again tonight and maybe this weekend I'll show it to some friends

3.  Would you say a person with a Trigun avatar is:
    A. Nerdy
    B. Very nerdy
    C. Uber-nerdy
    D. Pie
    E. the subject of good-natured ribbing

We appreciate your input and look forward to your repeat business.

Sincerely,

RiffTrax Community

C... But also an E, besides...  What do I expect? I am a huge Star Wars and Anime Fan living in South Dakota in such close proximity to the Corn Palace!  I'll stand here peacefully. Go ahead... Take your aim and fire...  I deserve it.   ;D

(oh and btw...  Trigun is good, but Full Metal Alchemist Pwns all!  just haven't had a chance to make an fma avatar yet!)  ;)

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Did you know...?
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
I never watch G4, so I don't know if you guys have seen these (or if they've been posted elsewhere).  Pretty funny.

Episode IV: Extended Scene

Episode VI: Extended Scene

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »
A hearty "hee!" to those vids.  Great production quality too-- thanks for sharing.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 04:49:59 AM »
I never watch G4, so I don't know if you guys have seen these (or if they've been posted elsewhere).  Pretty funny.

The Ep. IV scene was just stupid and annoying.

The Ep. VI scene was excellent, superbly written and much better acted. Great!

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »

God, what the hell happened to Lucas? These show off the degree to which his writing has gotten worse.

As for his directing skill, watch the Death Star Trench Run, then watch the pod racing scene. I swear the man must have gone retarded at some point.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 12:31:03 AM »
As for his directing skill, watch the Death Star Trench Run, then watch the pod racing scene. I swear the man must have gone retarded at some point.

I think Lucas got lucky and hired the right people early on in his career. A film is so very much a team effort, that even the most hands-on of auteurs is dependent on having a good cinematographer, editor, etc. I think the evidence speaks for itself; the more clout and power Lucas got to make films without anyone being able/allowed to criticize his decisions, the worse his films got.

I mean, don't forget that Star Wars was originally "The Adventures of Luke Starkiller" or somesuch.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:56:19 AM by Teaflax »
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 05:00:01 AM »
I think Lucas got lucky and hired the right people early on in his career. A film is so very much a team effort, that even the most hands-on of auteurs is dependent on having a good cinematographer, editor, etc. I think the evidence speaks for itself; the more clout and power Lucas got to make films without anyone being able/allowed to criticize his decisions, the worse his films got.

Excellent point.  He's a genius big-picture guy, and then he's an editor.  If only he'd depended on others for the rest...

Offline Ponty

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • I'm the Rattiest
Too Harsh? pshaw
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 07:05:38 PM »
The first time I ever saw this movie...opening night [ along with half of the other poor saps that populate my hometown ]...I got as far as the "ALL PRAISE R2D2"  scene before it really hit me that I was wasting my money and precious hours of sleep.

Mike and Kevin had me at "We also have this heroic photocopier here..." and had they gone as far as stepping into the film and taking a ball bat to every single character in the remainder show they would not have been going 'Too Far'

I will agree that they could have put more finesse into it at points...but sometimes it's better to just squash a turd rather than try to dissect it. {I mean if you're gonna do one or the other...you know}

Sodium, Won't You?