Author Topic: Were Mike & Kevin Too Harsh?  (Read 17652 times)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
Re: Were Mike & Kevin Too Harsh?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 04:01:34 PM »
Difference being, although Obi-Wan had the high ground and Annie The Boy tried this anyway, Maul was in Party Mode and Obi-Wan was ready for it.  AtB was acting out of arrogance and, dare I say, overestimating his powers-- the very things that brought him to be Vader in the first place.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »
Difference being, although Obi-Wan had the high ground and Annie The Boy tried this anyway, Maul was in Party Mode and Obi-Wan was ready for it.  AtB was acting out of arrogance and, dare I say, overestimating his powers-- the very things that brought him to be Vader in the first place.

Ah - yes - party mode Maul was unprepared..... too bad though, I liked him (even though he barely spoke =( )

However, I now know that if a jedi were to flip over me, IMMEDIATELY slice diagonally top to bottom.... it is now burned into my impulses.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Busyman

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »
Mike & Kevin weren't too harsh on this cinematic dog turd. They gave this movie exactly the respect it deserved: None. And I loved every minute of it (The only thing I didn't like about this rifftrax was that I had to go out and buy a copy of this movie, thus giving Lucas more money for this pile of monkey droppings).

The Phantom Menace a bad movie. No wait, calling it bad would be an insult to other bad movies. This is an awful, awful film. This would have been a giant bomb back in 1999 if it didn't have Star Wars in front of it. That's the only reason it made any money, and why some people continue to this day to try and delude themselves into thinking that this was a decent flick.

There are only two good things about the film:

1) Liam Neeson gives a good performance, likely because he is the only person who has anything to work with (not that he has much).
2) The Lightsaber duel is the best one in the entire Star Wars Saga. The ONLY reason to own a copy of this movie before

Everything else about this movie is awful: Ewan McGregor's role is to stand around and do nothing until he's supposed to kill Darth Maul. Jar Jar is reprehensibly bad. Jake Lloyd is terrible (My 2nd favorite riff was when Mike asked "Is it okay to say that this kid sucks?"), and Natalie Portman is more stiff then a surfboard. And what do we get for a supposed action movie? The long and pointless journey to the "core" of the Naboo, the even more long and tedious pod race scene. And of course, scene after scene of TALKING with the horrible Lucas dialouge that serves no purose expect make the viewer wish for the sweet release of death.

Too harsh? I can't see a way that anyone, short of wishing death on everyone involved in this movie, could possibly be too harsh.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 05:06:07 PM »
hehe.... funny comment =)
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »
Kevin's barfing noises got pretty repetitive -- but then, how else CAN you react to Jar Jar?

Also, it sounded like Mike and Kevin were scrapping a bit more than usual. All in fun, I know. I mean, I hope. I hope this isn't the movie that ruined their friendship forever or something like that!  :) I can see how the sheer awfulness might have made them a bit moody.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 09:38:28 PM »
Was that the point, do you think?  I've never heard them so angry at a Rifftrax movie.  It kind of reminds me of this one anecdote I heard about the writer's room during the MST3K days, when at least one of the Brains, every single movie, would just snap, leap out of his chair, and rush up to the TV screen in order to flip off the film.

Nobody fake-pukes like Kevin Murphy, to the point where my stomach can only handle one or two of 'em.  He needs to put that on his resume.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:52:41 PM by LadyKenobi »

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mike and Kevin did their usual bang-up job, but I can't be entirely sure as, just like every attempt of mine to watch the Phantom Menace since opening night, Thursday's screening had me nodding off during the podrace and drifting in and out straight through to the lightsaber duel. For me, the podrace is like sitting through a calculus lecture, my head swimming with Nyquil with identical cartoon sheep jumping before my eyes. I'll have to try watching it again while doing jumping jacks over firey coals.

Haha - I was in junior high at the time... and I remember my buddy sitting next to me throwing popcorn at the screen when Maul couldn't slice Obi in half after Obi leaps over him.....

Jebus, you're a youngling, aintcha?

Said the crusty old geezer of 25...

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »
You know, thinking about it, I don't believe they were a bit harder on this film than they were on Shatner in STV. Maybe it's just more noticeable here because they were harsh on the entire film, whereas with STV they seemed to reserve most of their hatred for The Shat.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »
Just the right amount of harshness if you ask me.  I found this track to be extremely cathartic since I was a huge Star Wars fan up until about, oh, May 1999.  I hadn't seen Phantom Menace in a few years so I was curious to find out if I would find it any more tolerable.  Nope, I hate it even more.  I won't go in to specifics because I'll be here all day.  Possibly my new favorite Rifftrack however.  One of my favorite lines had to be when they are commending R2D2 on saving the ship and Mike says something like "We also have this heroic photocopier here.".  Loved it.  That scene always bothered me deeply on a Star Wars geek level because R2D2 is an astromech droid and it was his function to fix spaceships!  You might as well thank your toaster for all the sense that makes.  Anyway, I thought Mike and Kevin nailed the movie perfectly.

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 03:40:52 AM »
I have to admit that when I saw this film in '99 the fanboy in me wouldn't let me admit to actually disliking it ("Well, it's alright" or "It's got some good parts!"). However, 7 years on and I openly admit, it's just bad. My girlfriend, who'd never seen a Star Wars film in her life, watched this a few months back. Her quick, one-word review? Awful.

A bad idea, done badly which made a billion dollars. No, I didn't find them too harsh, not in the slightest.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 04:43:47 AM »
"We also have this heroic photocopier here."

Oh, that was one of my favorite parts.  Don't forget the also-heroic coin sorter.  Those were the types of insightful riffs that had me rolling, because, just as you say... like a droid would care whether it's "commended" or not.  Well, DisembAudio might enjoy a nice crumb tray cleaning for a sych job well done, speaking of toasters.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 05:15:32 AM »
You might as well thank your toaster for all the sense that makes. 

Shhh . . . DisembAudio might be listening.  ;)

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Devilboy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »
This movie got exactly what it deserved.  Plainly put, the movie sucked on toast.
I especially loved all the references made to the overdone digital effects.  Granted, they are spectacular... but that is about all this movie had going for it.  And all of the diggs against Jake Lloyd?.... 100% deserved.  That kid sucked... a horrible actor.  How much work has that kid got since 1999????   Zip, nada, zilch.... and do you know why??.... because his performance sucked, plain and simple.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »
I didn't think their harshness was overdone, I just worry that they had nothing else to go on. If all they can do is point out how bad the film is, then what's the point? From the very beginning, the idea is to riff movies that deserve it. Absolutely does Episode 1 deserve it, just don't make that the only riff. I thought they had a decent balance, if not a tad too much harshness in favor of cleverness. However, all the asian stereotype references to the Trade Federation aliens was spot on.

To Episode 1's credit, it is imperative to watch this movie in a proper theater. What I mean is, the sound must be perfectly balanced, dynamic, and without distortion, and the picture must be clean and bright. The first time I saw it in the theater, everything was absolutely perfect. I was so floored by the presentation, and it has sadly never been repeated in all my years of moviegoing. The second time I saw it in a theater, was at an older, different theater, and the sound was so quiet, I almost walked out.  >:(

Sure there was plenty of crap in this movie, but from a technical standpoint, it can be amazing. Put it this way: It's all style and no substance.

But Mike and Kevin were only barely too harsh, and I did feel that Kevin was maybe a little too crass this time around.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
This movie got exactly what it deserved.  Plainly put, the movie sucked on toast.

Toast seems to be a theme these days. Is toast the new spork? :)

Bring back Bridget!