login

Author Topic: Which Was Your First?  (Read 13662 times)

Offline Prof. Bobo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • MSTie, won't you?
Which Was Your First?
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, tell me - and everyone else - what was the first MST3K episode you ever saw? What was the episode that go you hooked?

[yt=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SyefAeg_cJs[/yt]

Pod People was my first, and I have been a rapid MST3K/Joel/Mike/Bill/Kevin/Mary/Trace/Frank ever since.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 06:24:22 PM by Prof. Bobo »
"When does the hurting stop?"  Proto-Bill

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Which Was Your First?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »
First time I ever saw the show was when I noticed it tuning past Comedy Central....I couldn't tell you now which episode.  All I know is I saw an old b&w sci-fi/monster movie that I knew so I stopped to watch it....and then I noticed Joel and the Bots.

Could have been one of those "Rocket Men on the Moon" chapters...or It Conquered the World....just know it wasn't a Sandy Frank film.

Found out what it was from "Short Attention Span Theater" when they showed a bit from Project Moonbase.

First time I watched a whole episode it was The Black Scorpion.

They had me at   "What's behind this tree?....It's a dead cop!....That's right, Bob.  It's a 1953 Senora Policia, complete with .38 snub-nosed revolver, dilated pupils and rigor-mortus....You too will sleep soundly in your own Senora Policia!.....From Speigel Catalog, Chicago, Illinois, 60609"

I'm a sick puppy.   :D

anais.jude

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »
my first experience was with the movie (this Island earth can be yours if the price is right). After that i was a dedicated fan, so the next one was The revenge of the creature.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
This has probably been written in this forum at least 3 times by now, but....

I snuck down to watch the basement TV one night, several years back. I had set my alarm for the express purpose of doing so, and was a bit drowsy and disoriented.
I turn on the TV.
Commercial, commercial, sitcom, commercial....
Hmm. What's this? A movie?
Where are those voices coming from?
A closet door opens, and I see
THIS:

I'm paralyzed with horror, trying to comprehend that face, those voices, that horrible androgynous child.
I stumble back up the stairs, and hide under my covers.

The first MST3K film I ever saw was Pod People.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 09:18:05 PM »
This has probably been written in this forum at least 3 times by now, but....

Possibly.  Think it was before my time.

But think of it as a way to raise your post count.   ;)

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
My first episode was the original airing of The Deadly Mantis, and I fell in love. I've now seen about 80% of the episodes, thanks to this gosh darn internet.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
I've now seen about 80% of the episodes, thanks to this gosh darn internet.

You mean the gosh darn internet where the people who have the episodes I still need have seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth?

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:46:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was a Godzilla movie.

First Sci-Fi that came in all fuzzy like a transmission from beyond was Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Didn't we already have this thread?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
brunette ... wait... what was the question?

I think it was a Godzilla movie as well but I can't be sure. Also, unless my memory is totally f'k'd, I somehow managed to watch it on network tv. I think it used to play after SNL.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 03:28:44 AM »
It was either Master Ninja or Giant Gila Monster, I don't remember which one was first.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 03:38:14 AM »
I remember watching "the Wild Rebels" during one of the Turkey Day marathons.  I then proceeded to watch a whole batch of them.  Then the first episode of season 3 Cave Dwellers came on, I've been hooked ever since.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 04:36:19 AM »
That's going back a ways, but I think the first one I remember clearly was Teenagers From Outer Space.  I only saw the second half that time, because it was when Comedy Central was cutting the episodes in half for the "Mystery Science Theater Hour"  I was pretty much hooked after that, though I did find it odd that Jack Perkins was hosting it.  Really had to smack myself in the forehead after seeing a few episodes and I realized who "Jack" really was.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »
I rented my first from the video store.  It was the only MST3k there, and I had so many friends of mine telling me that I had to watch it, it's just so funny, you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO see it, omgomgomg!

It was Wild, Wild World of Batwoman.  A hell of an introduction to the series.  That movie actually scared me off for a good amount of time.  Then my boyfriend-at-the-time sat me down and we watched "Manos" The Hands Of Fate together, and I was hooked ever since.

Baptism through fire, kids.  Never fails.

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »
I may have seen some glimpses here and there, but my first notable exposure was when Comedy Central was doing the weeknight reruns at Midnight (11PM my time). That was usually about the time I got home from work, and I stumbled across it. I worked a movie theater at the time, and I've always been a geek, so it was somehow relatable. I didn;t even get the true premise of the show until after an episode or two, I thought it was just random stuff for late night cable insomniacs.

Anyways, it was one of the Hercules movies. The one where smoke begins filling the cave Herc was trapped in. And one of the characters (forget who) said "Don't tell me KISS is gonna come in here and play..."

The rest is history.

Offline valeyard

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 08:10:10 AM »
I'm not sure which one was the first.  I only had cable briefly during season 3.  I have to admit, at first I HATED Mst3k.  It irritated me that they kept talking over the movie.  I LOVE bad movies.  I just wanted to watch the movie.  They had one every night at midnight.  Well, I kept tuning in, because I love bad movies and it was the only place to get 'em.  But every once in a while they would say something funny and I would double over.  But the first time I really watched, was "The Day the Earth Froze."  That was the one that hooked me.  I've been a fan ever since.
Are you my virgins?  I hope not!