Author Topic: Which Was Your First?  (Read 13637 times)

Offline MisterC

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
Re: Which Was Your First?
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
The Violent Years... back in the good old days...

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:13 AM »
First one I saw was Alien From L.A.  I was in college and the cable system we had carried Sci Fi but not Comedy Central.  They were showing it during some free preview weekend or something, which was really annoying since I knew there was no chance of seeing the show again after the preview ended!  Of course, a few years later I get cable that includes Comedy Central but NOT Sci Fi and guess what channel MST3K was on by then...

I knew I was going to like the show right off when Crow makes the riff "It's Abel Gance's Napoleon!".  That's pretty obscure, the only way you're going to get that is if you've taken courses on silent movies.

Offline Queen Shadowrama

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
My first brush with MST came via The Movie. I saw the silhouettes and remembered flipping past and seeing them on Sci-fi. I thought the movie was hysterical, did some research, and realized there was a TV show!

So my first actual episode was Giant Spider Invasion. I've been a rabid fan ever since. Every time I happen to see that episode I get a warm and fuzzy feeling... ;D

Coming soon to an iRiff near you.

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2008, 04:33:27 AM »
The first one I ever saw got me hooked, whatever it was. Did they have the show on late at night some time before it moved to Saturday mornings? I think I picked it up as part of my old hobby of late-night channel surfing when I was around 12. You used to be able to find a lot of wierd stuff that way.

It was deffinitely Sci-Fi era, part of what drew me in being Brain Guy and Bobo.

I didn't know who Joel was until he stopped by randomly in one episode but the bots loved him so much, I figured he was a good guy. I also had never heard of Dr. F until I caught the movie on TV somewhere along the way. It took youtube and the DVDs for me to learn to love the old stuff, it just wasn't around anymore when I got on board.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Core

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You can't have everything, where would you put it?
    • C.O.G. Ink Tattoos
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
Honestly I don't remember which episode it was  when I first stumbled on MST3k on The Comedy Channel (back then it was still the Comedy Channel). It was in 1989, I was at a friends house, early morning, marijuana leaves, stems and seeds floating in water making tea in the kitchen, my buddy who owned the house chasing his half naked girlfriend around the living room/dining room/kitchen, all of us coming down from a fantastic acid trip, and as I stumble through the channels on the TV an old b&w movie pops on and for some strange reason (cause i never liked old b&w movies and still don't) I kept it there and decided to watch for a few. Sure enough it was an early episode of MST3k and, like most comedy, when your stoned everything is a lot more funny lol (lights his pipe). I paid close attention, again unusual considering it was always hard for me to concentrate on things when I was tripping, and it floored me. I noticed the little silhouettes on the bottom of the screen were cracking jokes about the film and I laughed hysterically.

I didn't become a major fan at that point but a part-time fan. I became obsessed with MST3k around the mid to late 90's toward the shows end. Same thing happened to me with Metallica only 1984 first heard and liked, became obsessed after seeing them live in 1988 again... on acid lol.

I'm planning a massive tattoo dedication (I'm a tattoo artist btw) to MST3k for the top of my left thigh staring Tom Servo that'll be about 8-10 inches tall and 6-8 inches wide. I'll definitely post it after I do it. :P

Offline mearnest

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 26
  • If life gives you poop. Make poop juice.
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
My first was the premier of 101- The Crawling Eye.  (I suddenly feel old :()
'No one does it to you like Roman Polanski' - The Tenant

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »
Not sure which full episode (probably a season 3 or season 4), but the first bit I saw was Jungle Goddess where they are running and the shoots and hits a coconut. I wasn't paying attention just flipping through the channels and heard "He shot a coconut!!" and then I noticed the shadows at the bottom. I was hooked.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »
Since this thread has been revived I'll correct my previous post...

Because I was watching It Conquered the World and realized that it was this movie that was my first.  I'd stopped because I realized it was one of those old sci-fi movies and caught the film at the moment of the riff "Kingsford Cops light quickly!"....

And I grabbed the newspaper to look up the TV listing and see what it was I was watching....and would it be on again any time soon.   :D

Offline MyStars!

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »
I kept kind of tripping over it during channel flipping and ended up watching the last half of one episode or another.  I can't remember which was the first I watched all the through, but "Cave Dwellers" was the one that got me hooked.  Unfortunately, I didn't stick with it when it moved over to the Sci-Fi channel - only caught an episode here and there.  Now I'm dedicated to seeing every single episode I can find - mostly in their proper order.

Offline captainslug

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »
410 - Hercules Against The Moonmen
Caught it randomly late at night while staying in a hotel in the middle of a long boring road trip.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
It was 1989, I was 13, and I was at my grandmother's house. My cousin and I were flipping through the channels as the folks ate their Sunday lunch when we stumbled on Robot Holocaust. I thought it was funny, but I never fully appreciated the show until many years later when I was in college and learned that MST3K is a great aphrodisiac.

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2008, 03:34:54 PM »
 Mine was the Mole people. And it's all been down hill from there, down, down, down....
that's just how we ride.

Offline mishypic

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
I wish I could remember the title..I'm pretty sure it was a black and white movie where women were either being burned at the stake or threatened to being burned at the stake.   I remember bits and pieces but I don't think I'll ever figure out which one it was...but I was hooked shortly after that.  :)

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »
I wish I could remember the title..I'm pretty sure it was a black and white movie where women were either being burned at the stake or threatened to being burned at the stake.   I remember bits and pieces but I don't think I'll ever figure out which one it was...but I was hooked shortly after that.  :)
Sounds like "The Touch of Satan". Mine I think was either Eegah or Mitchell.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
Sounds like "The Touch of Satan".
That wasn't black and white....

Maybe it was The Undead....