login

Author Topic: Which Was Your First?  (Read 13635 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Which Was Your First?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »
I seem to recall catching snippets of the Joel years from time to time (my brother was a big Godzilla fan and it was almost lore that MST3k versions existed).  I didn't really sit down to watch it until I saw "Jack Frost."  It's still my favorite, and I've been devoted ever since.

Offline Prof. Bobo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • MSTie, won't you?
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 07:50:39 AM »
I love hearing these stories. Its kind of a way of bringing people together, knowing that we each had our own individual, but similar experience with MST3K. Even though we are separated by distance and circumstance, many of us all were enjoying the show; sometimes at the same time. 
"When does the hurting stop?"  Proto-Bill

Offline mlcorcoran

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • role reversal
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2008, 06:31:41 AM »
I was about 5 or 6 years old, and my brother was maybe 4. We didn't get Comedy Central in our area yet, but my uncle did where he lived, and he taped the show and brought it over at family get-togethers. My brother and I obviously didn't get some of the jokes, references to things like Jimmy Carl Black and the Mothers of Invention were way over our heads, but the invention exchanges and the robots were so darn funny we'd be rolling on the floor laughing. And as I got older I got more of the jokes and references and that made me appreciate the show that much more.

I think the first mst3k episode I saw was Robot Holocaust from Season 1. It started with the last chapter of a Commando Cody serial. One of the very first riffs in the movie was a reference to Pittsburgh, my hometown, and I always thought that was cool.

Another episode that got me hooked at an early age was Daddy-O (from season 3), which has one of my favorite MST songs, "Hike your pants up" and a really funny host segment where Frank keeps trying to give a piece of fruit to Dr. Forrester but Forrester keeps smacking it out of Frank's hand. The episode also had a short about the alphabet that was probably my favorite of the MST shorts.

I tried following mst3k after the switch to Sci-Fi channel once we got the channel, but the timeslot kept changing so I had a hard time keeping up, and then it was unfortunately canceled. But then a couple years later I randomly saw a Rhino VHS of mst3k at a store and all that nostalgia about the show came flooding back. The first episode I bought was Cave Dwellers, which is now one of my favorites, and I've been slowly expanding my collection ever since.

Offline MST3Kutie

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Help Crow Rule The World!
    • Calling All MSTies
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »
My first was Overdrawn at The Memory Bank.  :P I was 7 and my dad was showing me MST3K. I started liking it right away.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:03:13 PM by MST3Kutie »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 01:52:45 PM »
My first was Overdrawn at The Memory Bank.  :P I was 7 and my dad was showing me MST3K. I started liking it right away.  ;)

The age range of people who got hooked on this show never ceases to amaze me.

Also, welcome to the boards, and interesting avatar.  Looks kinda like Crow as drawn into Schnappi.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

I thought this thread sounded familiar, but i couldn't find my reply: http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,1720.0.html

"Same as it ever was, same as it ever was..."

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:06 AM »
The first one I ever saw was Time Chasers.

I laughed so hard I made it a mission to see every episode I could.

"Listen do you want your library card revoked?!?!?"

Offline CarpeDiemRedhead

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 08:44:42 AM »
My first was Space Mutiny.  I'll never forget, "Just stop and aim, you idiots!"  Who knew stock footage of Battlestar Galactica could be used for such an evil purpose.
Why?  Because I can.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."  - Fortune Cookie

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
Who knew stock footage of Battlestar Galactica could be used for such an evil purpose.

Anyone who sat through a moment of this...

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
Or, actually, this:

Cripes, this film sucked.

Offline Bus Taker

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "We're a danger to ourselves and others"
    • Music site
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
I also did not have CC on my cable system for years.  When my wife was my girlfriend in Queens, NY, we watched it at her house.  My first two episodes were Red Zone Cuba and I think a rerun of Pod People.  There was another where Crow sang "Zesfully Dead" and we were rolling on the couch laughing for a few minutes.  Don't know which episode that was.

Then it came to SciFi and watched it whenever I could.
"I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far." - Joe Walsh

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Or, actually, this:

Cripes, this film sucked.
Very much so.  But just when you thought it couldn't be worse....even after those two robots in white face....they made "Galactica 1980".

Offline Phantom of Krankor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I've got ya now! YA SCUM!
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »
I was randomly searching around through TV channels one Saturday morning, and I came across the sci-fi channel which was showing the mst3k episode of "The Horrors of Spider Island." I kept watching since I like bad movies, then it went into the host segments and I thought it was some sort of warped kids show because of the puppets ( I'd never heard of mst3k back then ). Then I tuned in again to watch Prince of Space, and from then on I was hooked.
I am Ambassador Phantom, from the planet Krankor! I am rapidly approaching your planet... in the warship, which you have just seen. I will arrive tomorrow night at precisely eight o'clock. At that time I shall make my wishes known to you. You will obey them... or die! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Offline shaffejd

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Do I guarantee it? I guarantee it.
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
the movie was the first for me...i then realized that this was also a tv show and sought it out, catching the wild world of batwoman as my first episode. i then saw an episode with joel, and was thoroughly confused by this 'new' guy's sudden appearance. i watched episode after episode attempting to figure out who was who when and any signs of a storyline...needless to say i got hooked

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »
Glad I wasn't the only one confused early on by which one was the "new guy"   :D  For some reason I got it into my head that the Joel episodes looked newer than the Mike ones when I first started watching, I think because they purposefully went a step cheesier with the effects of the opening when they switched to Mike.  The planets being painted balls on strings made it look older to me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing