login

Author Topic: Anyone still care about Duke Nukem Forever?  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Anyone still care about Duke Nukem Forever?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
Dinosaur Comics weighs in...

And since DNF was announced:
There have been 3 presidents.
Valve has released all their games after the announcement of DNF.
Bioware has released all their RPG's in the same amount of time - not including pre-rpg MDK and the robot game.
Id released Quake 3, 3TA,Doom 3.Doom 3 ep, and built a lunar lander.

We'll see if anyone picks the title up and finishes it.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
We need to face the obvious facts here.  Duke Nukem Forever is an elaborate prank, and the clue to it's punchline is right in the title.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
Just a quick update: They have the site back up with a "Goodbye" message, so yes, it's official, no joke, they are done as a corporate entity.

On the plus side, the web site is back up, for goodness knows how long.  What might be a good idea is to check out their 'Downloads' area...I visited the site about a week before the shutdown occurred and noticed they had some of their old games (kinda crappy ones, yes, but fun in their own way) released as freeware.  Might be a good idea to scoop those up while you can.

Ones I know about that I recommend:
Major Stryker
Bio Menace
Arctic Adventure

But really, any of them are good to have.  They're small files, and they're free.  And they're from the good ol' days of Apogee, too.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

spaceforarent

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 04:17:39 AM »
Just a quick update: They have the site back up with a "Goodbye" message, so yes, it's official, no joke, they are done as a corporate entity.

On the plus side, the web site is back up, for goodness knows how long.  What might be a good idea is to check out their 'Downloads' area...I visited the site about a week before the shutdown occurred and noticed they had some of their old games (kinda crappy ones, yes, but fun in their own way) released as freeware.  Might be a good idea to scoop those up while you can.

Ones I know about that I recommend:
Major Stryker
Bio Menace
Arctic Adventure

But really, any of them are good to have.  They're small files, and they're free.  And they're from the good ol' days of Apogee, too.

Oh man! Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure! I've been looking for that game. How do you install/play these?

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 05:47:58 AM »
You just download them and install them to a directory.  You'll probably need a program called DOSBox for most of them, though (it's basically a DOS Emulator, but it's capable of speed adjustment so no game runs ultra-fast).  Once you have all the options figured out for it, it runs pretty smoothly, but be warned...when mounting a hard drive inside of DOSBox, DO NOT USE YOUR ACTUAL C: DRIVE.  You can mount any folder as a hard drive, but if you just do a C for C direct mounting, you could overwrite important Windows files and screw up your operating system.

The only unfortunate thing is that I don't think Cosmo is one of the freeware games; you can only get the first shareware episode from them still (though at this point, they'd be stupid not to release all of their games as freeware, or at least get them up on GOG or something).

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »
Some new news: To add insult to injury, Take-Two is now suing the bankrupt 3D Realms.  George Broussard is counter-claiming that Take-Two didn't pay them the amount they were supposed to give them, and that 3D Realms isn't gone, but only that the Duke Forever team was let go.

http://kotaku.com/5259942/3d-realms-were-not-closing-spent-20-million-on-duke-nukem-forever

Not sure who you can believe on this, though I have to say, considering there's been more big news on Duke in the past two weeks than in the past 10 years, it'd be funny to see how it all plays out.

EDIT: Fixed so now the right people are suing the right people.  That changes the story quite a bit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:33:32 PM by SJP »

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
Will this mad-cap roller coaster ride never end?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1111626p1.html

Doctor Who?

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »
OMG, it was released and here's the first review!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

I couldn't get the page to load could someone tell me what information was on that page?  Did they say the game was any good?

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:49 AM »
<a href="http://blip.tv/play/AYHJlEUC" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://blip.tv/play/AYHJlEUC</a>

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
Pffftttt. Duke Nukem Forever... What about Darkstar??
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »
OMG, it was released and here's the first review!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

I couldn't get the page to load could someone tell me what information was on that page?  Did they say the game was any good?

I don't remember what the joke was, but it was a joke. :^)

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »
Yes, it was a satirical review, and Yahtzee basically made fun, as everyone else does, about how, if a game is going to be in development for over 10 years, it'd better damn well be the best game ever made, and even then that's probably not going to cut it, either.  I do remember one line from it was "It comes on over 12 DVDs, and for a game in development for so long, I'd expect nothing less!" and talks about how on one level you're blowing away aliens, the next you have to bake a cake using only a handful of ingredients.  There was also a bit about how you made Duke walk by alternately hitting the left and right trigger buttons, and the other buttons changed Duke's facial expressions.

I know I mentioned something similar in this thread before, but it just hit me about this in particular...the entire run of Silent Hill came out after Duke Nukem Forever was announced.  And one of the games in that series, which was in development for what, 2 or 3 years at MOST, is in the running for top 10 best video games ever made.  So, basically, as an open statement to George Broussard:

We never cared if it was the best game ever made.  Nobody did.  Everyone just wanted to blow away aliens again.  And you kept that away from them for 12 years.  Now, no one cares about the game at all.  It could be a masterpiece on the level of Rembrandt, Van Gogh, or Da Vinci...but 12 years of a perfectionist attitude THAT insane only pisses everyone off.  And in that time, someone else will make something better than you could ever imagine.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
Will this mad-cap roller coaster ride never end?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1111626p1.html

Well. Groovy.

Pffftttt. Duke Nukem Forever... What about Darkstar??

This one?
Darkstar Panel at DragonCon
By Erhardt, on July 26th, 2010

Beez McKeever, Trace Beaulieu, Clive Robertson, and Darkstar creator J. Allen Williams will be appearing in a Darkstar panel at DragonCon on Friday, September 3. A special teaser for the game will be shown, followed by a Q&A session. The final, official release schedule will also finally, officially be announced.

They're still working on it.  (The un-MST3ky Dark Star One though is out.)

Yes, Doc. Yahtzee gave a glowing review to it.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
Oh it was a joke.

So is anyone still claiming this game is going to come out at some point?  How much money has been spent making it any way?  I'm guessing after 12 years there must be quite a bill.