login

Author Topic: Anyone found a Wii (at a store) in the past month?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
Anyone found a Wii (at a store) in the past month?
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
What store? What part of the country?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Anyone found a Wii (at a store) in the past month?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »
I personally haven't even tried - I gave up on "game consoles" when I got my first PC.

But I listen to a radio show with a guy named Ed Schultz who broadcasts across the US from Fargo, ND.

He's been talking since just before Thanksgiving about how they're trying and cannot find one anywhere.  Not where he lives.  He has contacts in different radio stations around the country that carry his show - nothing.   He's got a son who is a professional golfer (not well known but...) so you can figure he's probably checking the places he goes to compete.  He just traveled to do his show in Chicago and another place I didn't catch the name of....still no Wii.

And you'd think that someone might want to pull some strings if they could and get this guy one for the free publicity.

Which is another reason I gave up on game consoles....as soon as everyone who wants one finally gets it, it will be "Introducing Wii v.2.0"!   >:(

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »
They had 3 left at Target when I was in there early this morning. CC and Best Buy had sold out prior to that, as I visited those two stores first. And I saw some at Best Buy two weeks ago as well.

Your best bet for finding one these days is check the Sunday paper ads on Saturday. (In many major markets, they'll sell the Sunday paper on Saturday.)  If not available on Saturday, check the paper as early as possible on Sunday. If a store is advertising them, that usually means they've been stockpiling them for a Sunday release. However, there will be a line and they tend to sell out very early in the day. (Within 10-30 minutes, if that long.)

Also, try a lesser checked store. Sears, Penny's, Costco, Sam's Club are all good places to try. Also try the various video rental places. (A longshot for sure.) If you have a Gamecrazy in your area, try calling them. Certain outlets are receiving a shipment of Wiis as a result of winning a company contest.

Neither Target nor Circuit City are advertising Wiis for the 23rd. But Best Buy is rumored to be getting some...

Also, try wiitracker.com, which has fairly up to the minute reports on when they're in stock online.

Oh, and if you're not picky about titles, Play-Asia has them in stock right now for $299. Of course, the catch is that it's the Japanese Wii, which only plays the Japanese release of the games. Which oddly enough are in short supply in the US.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »
Gamestop is also having a raincheck program in conjunction with Nintendo.  You pay up front and get a Wii in January.  It was just announced.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
Gamestop is also having a raincheck program in conjunction with Nintendo.  You pay up front and get a Wii in January.  It was just announced.

So they get to make interest off of your money for what could be a whole month before you have anything to show for it.

Yeah, that sounds fair.

They could have had this game out with enough copies for everyone if they really wanted to.  These companies keep pulling this crap because you let them.

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »
They could have had this game out with enough copies for everyone if they really wanted to.  These companies keep pulling this crap because you let them.

I have to disagree with you.  I went to Circuit City right before they opened a couple weeks ago and there were people lined up for the Wii.  The Wii keeps selling out because the demand is through the roof for them.  You don't see people standing in lines for the 360 and/or PS3 anymore because there's not as big of a demand for them. 

Besides, it's safe to say that Nintendo was not ready for the insane demand for the Wii.  No one really was.  After all, they ended up dead last in the last generation.

Oh, and the Wii isn't a game, it's a console.   :P
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
The only Wii's I've found online the past few weeks are the ridiculously overpriced bundles stores keep putting together. I guess it's their only way of getting around Nintendo's threat of not supplying stores with Wii's if Nintendo catches anyone selling them for more than the retail price.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

I have to disagree with you.  I went to Circuit City right before they opened a couple weeks ago and there were people lined up for the Wii.  The Wii keeps selling out because the demand is through the roof for them.  You don't see people standing in lines for the 360 and/or PS3 anymore because there's not as big of a demand for them. 

Besides, it's safe to say that Nintendo was not ready for the insane demand for the Wii.  No one really was.  After all, they ended up dead last in the last generation.

Oh, and the Wii isn't a game, it's a console.   :P
It's not a Video GAME, mom. It's a Video Game SYSTEM!

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

Thank you, jewishcapenter, for making me spray oatmeal all over my husband's computer (sorry, sweetie).

I've found that stores around here in NM are as Wii vacant as most seem to be around the country. I did find that a number of online dealers have them in stock, though. Anyone trying to find one at this rate should just resort to online purchase. The money you'd spend in gas driving all over trying to find one in a store could be spent on postage. But then I'm really lazy and like it when other people do my work for me.  ;)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:59 PM »
Supposedly, a bunch of stores around the country are getting shipments this week.  At least, that's what my mom says (she works at Walmart as manager of electronics). 

They really don't give them a "date" when they're coming though. . . and they made me stand in line for mine just like anyone else.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
There are 3 of them sitting in a glass case in the Wal-Mart down the road from where I live. As far as I can tell, they're the same 3 they got in about 6 months ago. That, and the 1 xbox 360, 1 PS3, and 6 PS2s. Apparently there aren't very many gamers out here in Podunk, Nova Scotia.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline erika_lk

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
I'll tell you what I was told by one snide little teenage Best Buy employee:  "Yeah, Good luck with that"

The closest I got was at a Walmart, they had a shipment of like 10, I just randomly saw the cart being wheeled to the back, I quick ran and got in line, and was really excited because I only saw employees at the counter.  Then I realized that all the employees were not in fact working, but purchasing them  :(.  When I realized the guy in front of me got the last one,  my friend said I had the saddest face she had ever seen.  I stood there while he was rung up, secretly wishing that he wouldn't have enough money (then quickly took it back after realizing what sort of nasty karma I'd have to deal with for the rest of my life)

My friends who have them (the bastards), all came across it by sheer luck.  One waited in line, didn't get one, and happened to see a ticket lying on the floor while walking around Circuit City.  Another came across one re-shelved in Target after someone never showed to pick it up.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »
Maybe I should do like those assholes on ebay, buy the ones up at my Wal-Mart, and sell them to desperate people for double the asking price. ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:03 PM »
It's not a Video GAME, mom. It's a Video Game SYSTEM!

I got it right in my first post.  Lay off.   :P