login

Author Topic: Heckling  (Read 12165 times)

Offline Cap'n UKRiffer

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Leader Of The Justice Riff League Europe
Re: Heckling
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
In brightest day, in darkest night
No DVD shall escape their sight
Let those who tremble in bad movies light,
Beware the power, Rifftrax's might!

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
Anyone have any more heckle-worthy movies?  I've got a few that I could name.

The Dead Hate The Living!
(You know it's going to be good if it has an exclamation point in the title.  It was obviously trying to emulate Scream, so it actually invites you to make fun of it, sort of.)

The Core
("You want me to hack the core?")

How To Make A Monster
(A movie that's obviously intended to be part satire about the video game industry, obviously written by someone who knows nothing about the video game industry, and has probably never even watched someone else playing a video game.)

Fear Dot Com
(Another satire, this time about the internet.  The depiction of the internet in this film would seem eerily prophetic if you didn't realize that the guy who made it wasn't trying to predict what the internet would look like in the future.  He thought he was accurately depicting what the internet was like back when the film was made.  And even now, I'm not sure the internet is capable of the things he thought it was capable of back then.)

Jeepers Creepers
(As mentioned in Kevin Murphy's A Year At The Movies.  It's not a bad horror/thriller until you find out what the killer is.  Then, the only reaction you'll be able to muster is one similar to the young man who Kevin Murphy saw it with, who said something like: "Oh, big surprise.  It's a monster from Hell.")

Ninja Scroll
(One of the most hilariously bad anime movies ever made.  My friend Jeff and I watched it on the recommendation of several friends.  But unfortunately, for the first hour and a half we didn't realize that the reason they recommended it was not because it was good, but because it was so terrible.  It was painful to watch until we realized we could freely make fun of it.)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
(It's a very pretty movie to look at, and would be a stunning cinematic achievement if the script wasn't so terrible.  Still, hurling comments at the screen makes it bearable to watch.  And if you're already familiar with any of the Final Fantasy games, feel free to reference them liberally, as that adds to the fun immensely.  And the music was composed by Batman Forever/Batman And Robin Veteran Elliot Goldenthal.  Boy, was it ever composed by Elliot Goldenthal.  The music in this movie will have you saying "this music is definitely from the same guy who composed for Batman Forever/Batman & Robin!" as you hunch over in the fetal position, questioning your own sanity.)

Choose any of those, and you're into heckling gold.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
(It's a very pretty movie to look at, and would be a stunning cinematic achievement if the script wasn't so terrible.  Still, hurling comments at the screen makes it bearable to watch.  And if you're already familiar with any of the Final Fantasy games, feel free to reference them liberally, as that adds to the fun immensely.  And the music was composed by Batman Forever/Batman And Robin Veteran Elliot Goldenthal.  Boy, was it ever composed by Elliot Goldenthal.  The music in this movie will have you saying "this music is definitely from the same guy who composed for Batman Forever/Batman & Robin!" as you hunch over in the fetal position, questioning your own sanity.)

Ugh.  Just mentioning that movie brings back painful memories.

I had never played any of the Final Fantasy games, but I heard they were good, so I foolishly decided to see the movie.  (Hey, I was young!)  Little did I know that I was about to suffer through the 90 most boring minutes of my life.  It was so bad that I was still scraping turd-shaped photons off the back of my retinas a week after I saw it.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
Well, I hope you were not turned off from playing the FF games because of the movie.  Most of them are pretty good.  If you haven't played them, and you want to try them out, start with Final Fantasy X.  It's probably the most accessible one for people who aren't familiar with Final Fantasy games. 
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »
Well, I hope you were not turned off from playing the FF games because of the movie.  Most of them are pretty good.  If you haven't played them, and you want to try them out, start with Final Fantasy X.  It's probably the most accessible one for people who aren't familiar with Final Fantasy games. 

Oooh...sorry...I forgot that I HAD tried playing that one.  I'm not really that much into those sorts of games, I'm afraid.  I've heard that some are better than others, and I'll take everyone's word for it that the FF games are among the best of the RPG genre.  They do look fairly engaging as far as RPG's go.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2006, 09:57:15 PM »
Oooh...sorry...I forgot that I HAD tried playing that one.  I'm not really that much into those sorts of games, I'm afraid.  I've heard that some are better than others, and I'll take everyone's word for it that the FF games are among the best of the RPG genre.  They do look fairly engaging as far as RPG's go.

If you find it engaging to tell your character what to do and then watch them do it. I could never understand Final Fantasy. Give me a good, stupid FPS any day. BANG BANG!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2006, 10:17:29 PM »

If you find it engaging to tell your character what to do and then watch them do it. I could never understand Final Fantasy. Give me a good, stupid FPS any day. BANG BANG!

I always look at FF games as long interactive movies, especially recently.  Huge stories told visually that let you make choices here and there, mixed with some strategy and sense of accomplishment.  You can tell huge stories in RPGs, and can afford to put a lot of time into developing each and every one of your characters, something you can't do in a two hour movie.  You really start to care about your characters after spending hours leveling them up.  It's a great story telling medium, and FF does it the best.

Though I'm all for riffing Spirits Within.  It was not written well at all and could be quite funny.  Though I'd start getting nerdy and defensive you wanted to pick on Advent Children.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »
RPGs (At least back in the day) are all about Strategy. It's about managing stats and keeping your team alive while enjoying a nifty story. I'll go one further and say I really enjoy Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, which has no real story or any interactive combat. Just beautiful menus wherein you issue orders to faceless troops to take over China.

I love it. :^)

Offline MisterC

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2006, 12:27:52 AM »
Yeah, I've done so a couple of times.  Recently Hostel and Star Wars:Revenge of the Sith come to mind.

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
It's how I spent most of my movie-watching life. Really great films are for watching on your own, and when you live in a shared house (as I did for many years) or have friends coming over most nights (as I do now) you don't get to watch too many films on your own.

I've seen "Commando" more times than I care to remember, and it's a blast every time- we play along with the characters, don't need to pay too much attention as it's stupid (so we can chat, leave the room to get drinks and not pause the DVD), do our favourite lines, all that stuff. Bad films bring a room together and are great fun.

I only found out about MST3K, and through it Rifftrax, about a year ago. But it's clear we were meant for each other for years :)

Offline karcreat

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »

That the sequel to Howard The Duck?

...Nope...you can find that (sortta) here...

http://www.geocities.com/cecinid/HowardIntro.html

Hehehehehe...;)

K

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2006, 10:36:28 AM »

Ninja Scroll
(One of the most hilariously bad anime movies ever made.  My friend Jeff and I watched it on the recommendation of several friends.  But unfortunately, for the first hour and a half we didn't realize that the reason they recommended it was not because it was good, but because it was so terrible.  It was painful to watch until we realized we could freely make fun of it.)

What was bad about Ninja Scroll?! This movie is awesome (and so is the animated series)

Offline slowtheplotdown

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »
When I went to disneyworld, some intern turned off the sound for Star Tours.  The riffer in all of us came out that day as we made our own soundtrack... unfortunately, the second time we went through they fixed the problem.
My God bless you in all that you do.

Offline karcreat

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2006, 08:54:22 PM »
When I went to disneyworld, some intern turned off the sound for Star Tours.  The riffer in all of us came out that day as we made our own soundtrack... unfortunately, the second time we went through they fixed the problem.

Ahhh, 'STAR TOURS'...

Almost as good as sex...;)

K