Author Topic: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)  (Read 31452 times)

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
The last box set I bought

Naked City - The Complete Studio Recordings

Why I bought it
Naked City's first album has always been in my top five favorite records of all time ever since I first heard it. It was 26 tracks of pure bliss, and I was always left with the feeling of wanting more. However, since most of Naked City's albums were released on weird Japanese record labels and aren't in print anymore, I had to just stick with the debut (which is nothing to complain about). Now that I've recently been receiving a larger income, I finally put down the cash to buy this monster.

What does it sound like?
You could take an entire school course devoted to the styles and influences of Naked City, but in the easiest terms, they are a Hardcore Experimental Jazz group that usually features Yakatama Eye (Boredoms) on guest vocals. Rarely does a song stick to a single sound, and in some cases, more than 30 seconds. It's like a hyperactive child who grew up on Napalm Death, Ornette Coleman, and large amounts of channel surfing.

Would I recommend it?
I payed roughly around $117 for it, and I see that Amazon has lower prices on used copies. I really haven't dove into all the disks yet, but if the price is still a problem, just buy the first Naked City disk. I wouldn't expect anyone to haphazardly buy this whole set except for those who trust the word of a weirdo on the internet.

Offline YoumeMeyou

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • www.willchristopherbaer.com
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
Hank Peters wins at life. Not only for the Residents last.fm wallpaper, but also for listening to John Zorn.

The last record I bought was "Alles Wieder Offen" by Einsturzende Neubauten.

Why I Bought It
I am in love with this band. They've been around for nearly 28 years. They single handedly got me into avant garde music. Plus, I have their logo tattooed on my arm, so it wouldn't be in good form to not own their latest record.

What It Sounds Like
They invented industrial, but they take that genre name literally. They make all their own instruments and use things such as broken glass to air compressors to create noise to incorporate into their sound. It's truly a sonic orgasm to listen to them.

Would I Recommend It
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd-6WweqD0Y

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:31:00 PM by YoumeMeyou »
Gott hat sich erschossen
ein Dachgeschoss wird ausgebaut.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 06:17:50 AM »
Well, to be technical I'll hopefully be getting this CD if all goes smoothly.

But officially the last CD I purchased was this one:
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Captain Awesome

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
Moonspell - Wolfheart      4/5
Overkill - Coverkill      4/5
Black Sabbath - Paranoid      4.5/5

Offline GroovyDave

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • "Trust me, I work for the Government."
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »
Sparks - Number One Song in Heaven

Why I bought it
A friend of mine had made me a tape with this album on side A and "Angst in My Pants" on Side B. After listening to that tape over and over I suddenly remembered I had disposable income and bought the CD off Amazon. I am on a synthesizer kick right now and wanted to hear "Tryouts for the Human Race" and "Number One Song in Heaven" at full CD quality.

What does it sound like?
Allow me to demonstrate: Number One Song in Heaven  (listen to that amazing analog synth line!)  Almost all of the tracks off this album feature beautiful analog synthesizer leads. If you are missing that sound, this is the album for you. "Tryouts for the Human Race" is another fantastic song of theirs that starts the album.

Would I recommend it?
I would recommend this album to folks who enjoy electronic music, 80's stuff tinged with Disco and goofy songs in general. They have a charming sense of humor that has bled over into nearly all of their work over the years. Well worth listening to this album and then hunting down "Angst in My Pants". Each album can be wildly different from the last because they kept reinventing themselves with every new record. Still, this is one of their finest works and is worth getting if you like bleep bloop synthesizer tracks.

Offline Miss Hap

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
The last CD I bought was:

Against the Night - Jason Webley

Why I bought it

Well, Neil Gaiman had posted an mp3 from Jason Webley's newest album on his blog, and I really liked it.  And as that album ("The Cost of Living"), wasn't up on iTunes, I went with Against the Night instead.

What it sounds like

It's classified as Folk, which is broadly correct.  A few songs go into rock, and there's a tango at one point, but mainly folk.  The lyrics are almost entirely dark, and . . . here, go here and listen to "Dance While the Sky Crashes Down" live:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuraTmMfspk

Would I recommend it
If you like folk, and songs about the world ending, then I would.  I really like it.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

This is the last CD  I remember buying:

Why I bought it:

I love Industrial. I've been into the whole Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Ministry thing long before I even graduated High School (which, yes, was a long time ago). I was introduced to Android Lust thanks to a Projekt Records compilation I picked up at Hot Topic years ago and have been an avid fan ever since.

What it sounds like:

Most often, folks say Android Lust sounds like NINs, only with a woman behind it all instead of a man. I would say they're partially right, only Shikhee's vocals are much rawer than Reznor's, and her lyrics are a lot more in your face and even downright insulting at times. The musical content itself has a broader range of melodies and instruments compared to NINs' relatively minimal approach to both.

Would I recommend it:

I would say it's a must-have if you're into the Industrial genre and even if you skirt the edges of the Electronica and Goth genres. Android Lust is kind of like chocolate soda, where it's more of what you're used to, yet just different enough to get your attention.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:51 PM »

I love movie scores. This is the score, not the soundtrack. Sure the movie sucked, but the score rocks. I totally recommend this score, just for Track 12: Arrival to Earth. Awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:59:19 PM by FortisRevenge »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »

I love movie scores. This is the score, not the soundtrack. Sure the movie sucked, but the score rocks. I totally recommend this score, just for Track 12: Arrival to Earth. Awesome stuff.

Picture isn't showing up. I'm assuming you're referring to the TF Movie score? If so, I totally agree with you (although I also liked the movie). I've also heard the scores for The Rock and Armegeddon. Bay can sure pick his composer(s). Most scores these days seem kind of minimal and action-oriented. The scores for Bay's movies tend to be very lush and melodic, by contrast. Something I really appreciate.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »

Picture isn't showing up. I'm assuming you're referring to the TF Movie score? If so, I totally agree with you (although I also liked the movie). I've also heard the scores for The Rock and Armegeddon. Bay can sure pick his composer(s). Most scores these days seem kind of minimal and action-oriented. The scores for Bay's movies tend to be very lush and melodic, by contrast. Something I really appreciate.

Fixed it, Yeah I noticed after the Pirates of the Carribean movie all of the movie scores have changed to imitate it. Klaus Badelt who did that movie is great, another great score of his is the TMNT score, which is also a good movie. he just seems to have a gift for loud triumphant music.

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »
A cd of covers by Freedy Johnston. 

http://www.freedyjohnston.com/myfavoritewasteoftime.htm

Lovely pop covers done with no irony in mind, just a genuine admiration for the craftsmanship of the original artists.

I met Freedy:  as expected, he was the nicest guy in the world.  He signed my flyer...after crossing out "One of the most important artists of our time."

That cracked me up.  At the end of the show, he took requests, but didn't play my favorite song.  Some dork yelled out "Knock it Down!"  He replied, "That's not even the name of the song."  I yelled out "Tearing Down this Place," to no avail.
I'll Say It. You'll Hear It. You'll Do It. I'll Get It. You'll Learn It. I'll Live With It. And You'll Die Without It.

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »
The last box set I bought

Naked City - The Complete Studio Recordings

Why I bought it
Naked City's first album has always been in my top five favorite records of all time ever since I first heard it. It was 26 tracks of pure bliss, and I was always left with the feeling of wanting more. However, since most of Naked City's albums were released on weird Japanese record labels and aren't in print anymore, I had to just stick with the debut (which is nothing to complain about). Now that I've recently been receiving a larger income, I finally put down the cash to buy this monster.

What does it sound like?
You could take an entire school course devoted to the styles and influences of Naked City, but in the easiest terms, they are a Hardcore Experimental Jazz group that usually features Yakatama Eye (Boredoms) on guest vocals. Rarely does a song stick to a single sound, and in some cases, more than 30 seconds. It's like a hyperactive child who grew up on Napalm Death, Ornette Coleman, and large amounts of channel surfing.

Would I recommend it?
I payed roughly around $117 for it, and I see that Amazon has lower prices on used copies. I really haven't dove into all the disks yet, but if the price is still a problem, just buy the first Naked City disk. I wouldn't expect anyone to haphazardly buy this whole set except for those who trust the word of a weirdo on the internet.

John Zorn is the freakin' best (next to Brian Eno and Robert Fripp)
I'll Say It. You'll Hear It. You'll Do It. I'll Get It. You'll Learn It. I'll Live With It. And You'll Die Without It.

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »
Sorry if I'm piddling on posts, so I guess I better speak my peace:  Uncle Dysfunktional by Happy Mondays.  Starts off kind of annoying, but it has the best five tracks in a row I may have ever heard:  Rats With WIngs through Rush Rush.  It's Pills 'n Thrills meets Gorillaz.   :clap:

Offline YoumeMeyou

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • www.willchristopherbaer.com
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »
I saw Zorn many a time when I lived in New York...even once on New Year's Eve with Mike Patton. John Zorn is a God.
Gott hat sich erschossen
ein Dachgeschoss wird ausgebaut.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »

Okay, as everyone knows, I'm not a huge fan of this movie, but I love the score. It's too bad the cover is littered with those ugly designs.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?