login

Author Topic: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)  (Read 31416 times)

Hawkfan

Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Sunn O)))) Flight of the Behemoth

One play at half volume, and I appear to have invalidated several 100,000 mile warranties on my Subaru in 10 seconds...

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
Just bought the new Nine Inch Nails album, Hesitation Marks. I'm loving it so far, more electronic than previous albums.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
Got these latley:

All 5 Clash records remastered (again). They sound pretty good. Better than the 1999 remasters.

New GWAR!!! It is really, really good!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Just bought the new Nine Inch Nails album, Hesitation Marks. I'm loving it so far, more electronic than previous albums.

Picked up the Deluxe version of this.  Really like it.  Now I'm just waiting for the tour to get closer, no pun intended.

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
Last CD I bought: Twiztid - A New Nightmare (their first release since leaving Psychopathic Records, the home of the Insane Clown Posse, yes I was a juggalo for quite some time - and still check out the new releases. But Twiztid is another story - they are in my humble opinions WAY more talented - not to hate on the Clowns, I did and still do like their old 90's to early 2000's (and Hell's Pit) but after The Tempest my interest kinda tapered off (with names like The Almighty Death Pop, and Bang! Pow! Zoom! - I couldn't even be bothered). This album sees Twiztid lyrically and flow wise at there best, still doing their thing as the Demented Duo but with all new producers and sounds/styles - you can hear them experimenting with different flow types and perfecting their current style even more so - I bought it really on a fluke because I was surprised they left the Psychopathic - and was really pumped to hear what they could do on their own (which turned out to be even doper than I was expected). I was stoked to see familiar faces The ROC and Blaze Ya Dead Homie on a few tracks, aswell as new affiliates I never thought they'd work with (but always thought it would be ill to hear them mesh).

Twiztid left Psychopathic Records because of the creative control Insane Clown Posse exerts overt its artists, and they wanted to grow and expand in sound/style - and they certainly did. I was not a fan of Heartbroken & Homicidal or their last couple of albums on Psychopathic - but this abum is like a breathe of fresh air - they are on top of their game again for sure. Working with all kinds of cats - including Swollen Members, on a track called Falling Down - a refreshing track, as it is about falling down, depression, and all that but then they contrasting verse is uplifting and comes to a cathartic conclusion - fantastic dichotomy between Twiztid and all of Swollen Members (especially that last head from SM - he raps at light speed, love it to death) Swollen Members are a well known underground abstract/back-pack hip hop group from Canada, whom are going on tour with Twiztid in Canada (for the first time as Psychopathic could never get past the boarder - just imagine all the Faygo they'd have to sift through looking for drugs! lmao), Bukshot, Jahred from Hed PE, Johnny Richter from The KottonMouth Kings, Lil Wyte (formerly of Hypnotize Mindz - Three 6 Mafia's lable, now owns his own subsidary Wyte Music), Jelly Roll, Blaze Ya Dead Homie and local underground michigan cats like Ajax and Liquid Assasssin all on a posse cut/mega-collaboration called WASTED the topic of which should be obvious, but they talk about getting wasted in just about every possible fashion (I believe the only drug NOT mentioned specifically that is used recreationally was GHB lmao) - a personal favorite of mine, its a crunk/buck style song with a dirty south flare. Blaze ya Dead Homie also makes another appearence on a track called Sick Man about being a stalker (actually despite its morbid topic is quite hilarious) - again with some really ill verses. Even though almost every song has a feature, which was a plus in my opinon I love when Twiztid works with other artists, it brings the best out in them really lets the shine! And if its anything like me personally, when I collaborate with another rapper, you always wanna raise the bar even higher getting amped off the verses that come before yours. Also, ending the album is a Long awaited House of Krazee's reunion song called Monstrosity with cuts by DJ Swamp (House of Krazee's was Twiztid's former group, before getting signed psychopathic - with a third member named The ROC - who went on to form HaLFBrEEd as Sol with a rapper called Skrapz, then Level Jumpers (with a much more underground, intellectual abstract hip hop kinda feel, line up was still Sol, Skrapz and other affiliate F.R.eeze (who went by the name of Dialtone, and was also was in a group called Formless Figures with 3 DJs, and now goes by the name Dial81 - check out his bandcamp - if your into abstract/intellectual hip hop, he's got some fanatically refreshing music).

The album opens with a very "Strange Music-esque" track (Tech N9ne's lable) with the choir vocals on the chorus (Krizz Kaliko esque) Down With Us with Wrekonize of Mayday , then followed by a cut called Unjust Love with Mickey Avalon and Danny Boone from Rehab.  From track 1 to 8 (small EP to finance their upcoming full length LP - put out without a label out of TwiztidShop.com - it's a solid album and great departure from the themes that we're overused/overpushed on their psychopathic releases - fans for years have seen this coming and I knew once they left to spread their own wings they would become a force to be reckoned with - they currently have the #1 single over at UGHH.com for their online release of a track thats a few years old called "How I Live (Super High Mix) Featuring Proof of D12 (RIP) which is freaking awesome - had no idea Madrox could sing so well, UGHH is UndergroundHipHop.com - a well known Boston based store, with a large webstore following where you can find the best of just about any type of rap music, but focusing mostly on indy-underground cats - from abstract artists like Aesop Rock, El P formerly of Company Flow (most recently doing a group project with Killer Mike, called Run The Jewels, which is amazing - El-P's latest joint Cancer4Cure is a must listen for any rap fan, he is easily one of the best and most innovative rappers/producers out there right now, Killer Mike is of course the brother of Big Boi of Outkast), Busdriver (who's latest work Beau$Eros (bows & arrows) is a masterpeice from start to finish, just a beatufiul electronic rap-singing album like only Bus could do) Buck 65 (probably Canada's best known abstract rapper, former member of Anticon label - currently signed to Sony WEA Canada and Strange Famous (Sage Francis's label) whom put out his 20 year anniversary album as a rapper, called 20 Odd Years), Doseone (the most ecclectic rapper alive today in my opinion with his groups cLOUDDEAD, Deep Puddle Dynamics, Subtle, 13&God (Themselves & The Notwist), Themselves (Jel & DoseOne), The NEVERMEN - a triple-headed supergroup with TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe and avant-rock mogul Mike Patton & Crook&Flail with Fog's Andrew Broder, Dose composed the score for Unearthing, a forthcoming graphic novel from comic book legend Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta) and recently started doing a voice acting for an upcoming TV Show on the Adult Swim network (you can hear excerpts, in instrumental form from his solo album "G Is For Deep" in the commercial bumpers occasionally, aswell as instrumental cuts from El-Ps Wereallgonnaburninhell Vol 3 and Cancer4Cure. to even your Lil Waynezsss and Jay Z-z-s (lol not a fan of "mainstream" rap). Great online store for any fan of rap music, reasonable prices - they always have the package deals to get albums on Wax (double 12" usually with a mp3 download card so you don't gotta rip your vinyl which is a pain in the ass haha but I love collecting vinyl or a CD & T Shirt dealio.

Yeah I ended up talking about my last like 10 album purchases but they're all dope. I listen to all kind of music, underground rap is my forte, everything from avant garde intellectal rappers as mentioned above to my roots - The Wicked Shit/Horrorcore like Twiztid.

So yeah - maybe not the most traditional of reviews but I would definetly reccomend it to anyone with an open mind, who enjoys rap music and doesn't mind explicit subject matter. Althought in the realm of horrorcore - Twiztid barely touches the surface of how "horror" it can really get, with artists like KGP (Kill Gods People) and his classic albums 1995's Necrology & 2001's Tha UNGOD, Bloodshot - The Black Rose Revisited, The Saw Is Family (HorrorCrunk Or Die!), and KannabalistiK (with his most recent work - Blaspheme: True Words of Worship - which melds good ol' fashioned blasphemy with a touch of death/black metal flair. I could go on and on and on about the horrorcore scene, being a part of the under-underground Wicked Shit scene since I was 11 years old, working on sites like Killmusick.com (in its original incarnation with my man Kapital G - KGP, now it's changed ownership and I'm no longer affiliated but for years I compiled artists pages, biographies conducted interviews, compiled discographies with every rarity out there - and this is pre-discogs.com days when you had to DIG for info - talking to local detroit michigan horrorcore collectors to get the lowdown on songs lost to time, updating the news, webmaster & moderator on the forums, and writing full length track by track reviews for albums - which by the end of my time as a reviewer I had cats offering me free copies of their album for a review), and street teaming and collecting information for Bloodshot with the OG Slaughterahz United crew. Creating the first ever Widowmaker Productions fansite the Widowmaker Asylum with my man Dave (talkin' Geocities days baby, whoo), which is the home of my buddies Defekt and Hospital H/DevGru. To playing the first annual Strictly For The Wicked 2001 Festival in Michigan with my old old group Junction: OMEGA (first show ever but got to hang out and meet all the horrorcore artists and idols / homies of mine from online for years, backstage and play a 15 minute set - not to mention just driving out straight shot from massachusetts to michigan in 36 hours no sleep, just coffee and weed LOL (lots of weed...lmao), with our roadie and my bud Dan, D-Mac. Lots of great memories, still more to come as I work on more and more music and projects. It only gets more rewarding - I have no delusions of grandure of living off my music but I have fun making it and work hard at being innovative and always staying original - never doing the same thing twice. Genre has no meaning to me - I'll rock over a jazz quartet, an orchestra, 200bpm techno jams(by my man BADMiND), or about skitzophrenics and human influencing machines, phillip K dick (VALIS), in a hyper-sigil concept album with the group Air Loom Gang.'.Gangster Computer God'.' with my man Alhazred, Vice Versa aka Blunted Sultan and Old Owl, or just rockin it emcee and DJ style with my main man from maine Josh Grooves in my group Source Auras. Or to my recently reunited group Aeons Old with my long time friend of, atleast 8 years now - Motion (former known as Old King, also a former member with myself in our first group Junction: OMEGA mention before). Solo LP with Hardcore Techno Producer BADMiND (long time friend of mine aswell, originally from the horrorcore scene) - and a couple TBA groups that are bound to happen sooner or later, right now just focusing on rebuilding my recording booth, just got a brand new Samsung ATIV 8 Book laptop - that runs like a BEAST. So many projects, so little time, so little money (LOL) ahhh...atleast its fun, creatively and mentally rewarding. But I'm ramblin' now - so I'm out! -AMKR (Abolish Mundane Konception's of Reality). Hope my review and trip down memory lane wasn't too boring haha.
Source Auras - AMKR & Josh Grooves.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
This week:

Joan Jett can still rock!

Latest HANK 3 country album. Not as good as his last double LP (Ghost to a ghost  / Guttertown) but it has some good outlaw twang!!

Horisont!  70's guitar rock (i.e Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath) via Sweden!! Great stuff!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5086
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »

Mostly, I recommend this.  This has some amazing songs that stand on their own, but other songs improve with context: The Miss Piggy song "Never Before, Never Again" needs the overwrought visuals (undercut by Kermit's straightman work) to really click and "the Magic Store" has a lot of instrumental work and has parts that are overproduced in a way that is a bit dated.  However, the last bit of that song ALWAYS gets me.

"Life is a movie, write your own ending."

On the good side, I always forget how much I like "Can You Picture That?" Which is actually a bit of a prototype for the Fraggles theme.  In the chorus, at least.  And it's a lot easier to make out the lyrics on the soundtrack, which I like.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hAPxsaRB30M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hAPxsaRB30M</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NT1tZmGvFfY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NT1tZmGvFfY</a>

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
I last bought Pearl Jam's new album Lightning Bolt. It's pretty good, not as good as Backspacer but still pretty good. I'm obsessed with the song Sirens.