login

Author Topic: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)  (Read 31408 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recomend it?)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
I've been thinking about that cd, SmilinJackRoss. I keep going to different download sites to listen to snippets of it, trying to make my mind up. I like the music but I'm not 100% sure about the guy's voice -- I usually like male singers with strong, clear voices (like Colin Meloy or John Darnielle). Maybe I'll just take the plunge and go ahead and download the damn thing, and we'll see what happens.

Yeah, his voice is very....wispy.  He often sounds like he's singing in a cave, but I like it.

I loved slacker until my company's firewall decided it didn't want me visiting it. Has its selection expanded. I really should visit it from home again.

Well, I only starting using it in the past month or so, so I don't know how the selection has progressed.  But when I listen to an artist, it usually cycles through about half a dozen other artists as you listen to a channel.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recomend it?)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

Mr. Bungle - s/t

Why I bought it
I already owned this CD, but recently it got scratched so badly that it became unplayable. Usually, it'll just stutter or skip a second or so, but now the CD player didn't even recognize it. Unhappy with the results, I ran out and bought a new copy for about $7 (BARGIN!)

What does it sound like?
If you combinded Frank Zappa's tempo shifting with the avant-garde inaccessibility of John Zorn, and had them team up to compose for a supergroup made up of the members of Fishbone and Slayer. In other words, nothing is off limits or questionable for this band. They will take any genre of music at any time signature, and make it work. Here are two songs from the album.
Squeeze Me Macaroni
My Ass is on Fire

Would I recommend it?
Lets see...
I already owned this CD
I could've just burned a fucking copy of the CD, but that wouldn't have made me feel any better. I cannot recommend this CD enough to those with open-minded musical tastes. Shit, I used to leave copies of this album in random lockers during my sophomore year of highschool. I recommend this CD to anybody with ears. It's up to you if you like it or not.

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »
The last CD I bought

Del the Funkee Homosapien: Both Sides of the Brain

Why I bought it
I originally downloaded it and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to pick up a copy. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to purchase it... that is, until recently. I love Del's work on the mic, which has improved dramatically since his last "official" release, No Need For Alarm. The beats are varied, again, an improvement over No Need For Alarm.

What does it sound like?
Hip-hop. And I don't mean the shit you see on MTV or hear on the radio. What you have here is a skilled MC and producer (with a bit of help here and there, mainly from his cohorts in Hieroglyphics) who is making hip-hop for the love of it.

Would I recommend it
It's forward-thinking hip-hop with sick beats and lyrics. If you're open-minded and enjoy more than one or two styles of music, you've gotta check this one out.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »
Hieroglyphics is a good group. Seen them a couple times live. Cool live band.

So whats the deal with this Del rapper, is he from the Midwest?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 08:23:59 AM »
So whats the deal with this Del rapper, is he from the Midwest?

I know you like hip hop Minnesota, so you have to get yourself some Del.  I don't think he's from the midwest, I think he comes from California.  You've probably heard him rap on some Gorillaz songs...and I think he had a song in Tony Hawk 2 or 3, if you played those games.  While Both Sides of the Brain is great, I would recommend Deltron 3030, it's one of my favorite albums of all time.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 08:53:23 AM »
Cool, I'll check those albums out. I'm a huge Tony Hawk fan and something of a Gorillaz fan so it should be fun if I recognize a song or two. Thanks for the tip(s)

Offline Don W

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
Cool, I'll check those albums out. I'm a huge Tony Hawk fan and something of a Gorillaz fan so it should be fun if I recognize a song or two. Thanks for the tip(s)

If you've got Tony Hawk 3, that's the game that has a Del song. It's called "If You Must" and it's off of his "Both Sides of the Brain" album.

Definitely check out that album if you like hip hop, Del's one of my favorite rappers. You mentioned Hieroglyphics, that's the group that Del's in, their album "Third Eye Vision" is great as well.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »

Yeah, Del (Tha Funkee Homosapien) and that whole crew are from the Bay Area. Both Sides Of The Brain is a great album, but his first big hit was Mistadobalina... Mr. Bob Dobalina. Which was one of those goofy, but really catchy, early 90s kind of rap songs. So he's changed quite a bit over the years.

He was huge around here for awhile. Although i'm surprised that he never caught shit for his song Dark Skin Girls, which featured this as it's chorus: "Dark skin girls are better than light skin, light skin girls ain't better than dark skin." I mean, even if you don't read that as kinda' racist... the last thing a white kid in Oakland wants to sing along to is something like that.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
the last thing a white kid in Oakland wants to sing along to is something like that.
Hey, whatever rocks his boat!  ;)

I'll jump on the Praise-For-Del bandwagon for a bit. The man is more or less a savior for hip-hop music, and even though it's out of print, I strongly urge for anyone who likes hip-hop to get Deltron 3030. That right there is the funky shit. (@Rude, can we really say that Del "matured"? The way I see it, he's still as goofy as ever. Back then he was rappin' about hommies sleeping on his couch, and now he's singing about smelly dudes. I know there's more to it than that, but comon' :P)

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 02:02:15 PM »
Quote from: Hank_Peters
...can we really say that Del "matured"? The way I see it, he's still as goofy as ever.

I never really said that he "matured," just that he's changed a bit. Because you're totally right... he's still as goofy as ever. Which is a lot of fun, especially on Both Sides Of The Brain.

It's just that when the first album came out i never would have imagined him contributing to something like Deltron or the Gorillaz. I think every track on his first album sampled some jazz or P-Funk album. So it was surprising to see him expand musically and artistically over the years. Maybe it's more like my perception of him has changed. Whatever... Anyway, that's enough Del love for one thread.

If anyone wants another goofy rapper who's all over the musical map, be sure to check out Kool Keith... aka Dr. Octagon, aka Black Elvis, aka Dr. Dooom, aka Keith Korg, aka Matthew, aka Willie Biggs... um, etc. etc.

-Rude
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:03:47 PM by Rude »
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 09:19:18 PM »
Just obtained two little nuggets. Frank Zappa's Imaginary Diseases and John Zorn's Film Works, Vol. 15: Protocols of Zion. Both albums are pretty nifty, but I'd like to listen to them a little more before passing judgment.

Captain Awesome

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »
Manowar - The Triumph of Steel 4/5
Grave Digger - Excalibur 3.5/5
Wolf - The Black Flame 3/5

Offline mlcorcoran

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • role reversal
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
The Last Waltz by The Band - 10 / 5

one of the greatest concerts in the history of rock n roll

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »
A cd of covers by Freedy Johnston. 

http://www.freedyjohnston.com/myfavoritewasteoftime.htm

Lovely pop covers done with no irony in mind, just a genuine admiration for the craftsmanship of the original artists.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline izatright

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 02:10:19 AM »
For you youngish indie rock loving guys and girls:

Kiss Kiss - Reality Vs. the Optimist.  It's normal, melodic rock & roll, with violins and an eastern influence.  Voted one of the top 10 overlooked albums of 2007 by Livewire.  Check out their song Satellite or Machines at their myspace page.