Author Topic: The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)  (Read 31436 times)

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
The last CD you obtained (and would you recommend it?)
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:19 PM »
It's like having two threads for the price of one!

The last CD I bought

Solitude Aeturnus: Into The Depths of Sorrow

Why I bought it
Metal Mind records has been doing a re-release program of old metal albums that used to be released by Roadrunner. One day while browsing through Fry's, I saw Gorguts "Considered Dead" CD, and loved the album cover so much I bought it on the spot (I'm also a sucker for numbered releases). When I opened the album, I saw a catalog for some of the other CDs they were re-releasing, and Solitude Aeturnus caught my eye because they were the only band in the catalog that was listed as Doom Metal. At the time, I was listening to a lot of older Melvins albums, and hoped that this would be in the same vein. It wasn't exactly, but I was still blown away by how awesome it was.

What does it sound like?
Probably a wrong classification, but on the spot I would call it Medolic Doom Metal. You can listen to the first "real" track (track #1 is an intro) off the album here.

Would I recommend it
If you are a fan of metal in general I would strongly recommend this CD. It hasn't left my car ever since I've bought it, and I absolutely love it. Probably the best "uninformed" buy I've made since "Frizzle Fry".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:49:51 PM by Hank_Peters »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: The last CD you obtained (and would you recomend it?)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:49:08 AM »

The FuMP Volume 5: September - October

Why I bought it
I'm a full paying subscriber so it comes as part of my subscription.

What does it sound like?
Well it sounds like what it is, a compilation of Dementia by a variety of different artists. A variety of styles but all crazy.
Highlights would include a track from Seamonkey's Beatles/Breast Cancer Fundraiser Album 'Meet the Boobles'
<a href="http://www.thefump.com/embedded_player.swf?fumpID=109" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.thefump.com/embedded_player.swf?fumpID=109</a>

the great Luke Ski with his Heroes parody of 'Holding out for Hero' with Carrie Dahlby.
<a href="http://www.thefump.com/embedded_player.swf?fumpID=117" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.thefump.com/embedded_player.swf?fumpID=117</a>

Would I recommend it
Absolutely!

Offline Don W

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:45 AM »
I bought a bunch of cds last week (went to Rasputin Records, Bay Area people know what I'm talking about) went so I'll give a quick run down of what I got.

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
Queensryche - Empire (used for $4)
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (used for $6)
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Steel Pulse - Earth Crisis
Django Reinhardt - Djangology

Why I bought them?
I bought the Opeth cd because I'm a big fan of theirs, this is their newest release, it's a two disc live album.
I got the Queensryche cds mostly for nostalgia, and because they were dirt cheap.
I got the Burning Spear and Steel Pulse albums because I'm a big fan of reggae music.
and I bought the Django Reinhardrt cd because I've recently started listening to his stuff and I think that anthologies are a good place to start if you're getting into an artist that has a large amount of material available.

What do they sound like?
Opeth = melodic death metal
Burning Spear and Steel Pulse = Reggae
Queensryche = 80's metal
Django Reinhardt = jazz

Would I recommend them?

Sure, if any of those genres interest you. If you're a fan of Opeth this is a great sounding live album. It has a pretty good selection of songs even though there are only 9 in their set. Mainly because if youu know Opeth, you'll know that most of their songs are well over 10 minutes long.

I'd recommend the Queensryche albums if you either like that kind of metal, or used to and are feeling nostalgic. Also it doesn't hurt if you can find them used for next to nothing.

I'd recommend the reggae cds if you like reggae, both albums are really good.

And I'd recommend the Django album if you like old 40's era jazz. Also I've always found him to be an amazing guitarist, especially because of the fact that he only had the use of two fingers on his fretting hand (his hand was badly damaged in a fire).

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »

Nine Inch Nails: Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D

Why I bought it?

I am a sucker for re-mix records.  Year Zero is not my favorite NIN album but I really liked the campaign for it. Secret codes on T-Shirts, leaving new singles on flash drives in the bathroom at concerts etc. Also this release has a bonus DVD with the master tracks for every song so you can do your own remixes. They have them pre-formatted for Albeton Live and Garage Band as well as generic WAV files to use in whatever audio program you want. Which I thought was really cool.

Would I recommend it?

Yes. Yes I would.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »
Um, let's see here....this is going back about a month or so, but.....

"Artist": Poisonous Pie
"Album":One Nation Under Crust***

Poisonous Pie is this "band" (read: bunch of morons messing around with recording equipment in the basement) that my brother is in.  He gave me a copy of their sophomore effort for free.  The songs all suck (they don't care - they actually kinda tried to make it suck because it's easier than making it good).  The song that sucks the least is "Doughnuts."  If you're a masochist, you can listen to that song here.

Would you recommend it: Not to my worst enemy.

*** Har-dee-har.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
The last CD I bought was an EP by Atmosphere called Sad Clown Bad Fall 10.  You can see the cover art and tracklisting here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sad-Clown-Bad-Fall-Number/dp/B000X9VTK8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197573319&sr=1-2

Out of the five tracks on the CD two are in my heavy rotation.  Those two tracks being Rooster and Lyndale Avenue User's Manual.  I'd defintely recommend this EP to hip-hop and/or Atmosphere fans.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
I updated my post, and Platypus, I would love to hear that record.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

Er sure I'd recommend it if you like the eagles, which is what the person I bought it for does.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

Er sure I'd recommend it if you like the eagles, which is what the person I bought it for does.

I literally feel NOTHING in relation to the Eagles.  I don't like them, nor do I hate them.  I just feel a bland sort of void anti-feeling whenever one of their songs comes on the radio.  I'll usually change the station, unless the other fossil rock station is playing something that is actively bad (i.e. anything by Foreigner, Styx, or Aerosmith).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »
I literally feel NOTHING in relation to the Eagles.  I don't like them, nor do I hate them.  I just feel a bland sort of void anti-feeling whenever one of their songs comes on the radio.  I'll usually change the station, unless the other fossil rock station is playing something that is actively bad (i.e. anything by Foreigner, Styx, or Aerosmith).

And I'm with you. Except for One of These Nights because I remember reading an antirock tract that said it was a hymn to a Succubus. i know it's not, but it amuses me to pretend it is. Oh and Witchy Woman, because, well, I like Witchy Women.

My wife on the other hand has some sort of musical taste tumor whereby her generally good quality taste is disrupted by occasional deviations into mad Andy Gibb/Hall and Oates/Eagles love. :-\

And yes I've indulged each and every one of those horrible choices with CD purchases.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:21:33 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »

And I'm with you. Except for One of These Nights because I remember reading an antirock tract that said it was a hymn to a Succubus. i know it's not, but it amuses me to pretend it is. Oh and Witchy Woman, because, well, I like Witchy Women.

My wife on the other hand has some sort of musical taste tumor whereby her generally good quality taste is disrupted by occasional deviations into mad Andy Gibb/Hall and Oates/Eagles love. :-\

Ah, yes.  "Witchy Woman."  That song actually inspires mild toe-tapping.  Curiously, I actually really, really like Joe Walsh's solo/James Gang stuff.  Go figure.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:52:43 AM »

I downloaded this on a whim a few weeks ago. I was searching for Ben Kweller songs at Walmart.com (I know.... Walmart... feh) and I found a cover of "Lollipop" by Ben Kweller on the Stubbs the Zombie soundtrack. After checking the rest out, I knew I had to download it. There were so many other bands I love and admire on there: Clem Snide, CAKE, the Raveonettes, the Dandy Warhols, and Death Cab for Cutie. I wasn't sure about it at first -- I mean, covers of 50s songs? LAME. But I've really been enjoying the hell out of it, and my husband and teenage daughters have been liking it, too. It turned out to be a great purchase and one of my favoritest cds of the year.

http://www.amazon.com/Stubbs-Zombie-Soundtrack-Original-Game/dp/B000B5QWJ2
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:54 AM »

Why I bought it
I was listening to slacker, and it came up as a recommended artist.  It popped up 2 or 3 times, and I was diggin' each track.

What does it sound like
Well, take Damien Rice and remove his pretentious bullshit.  If you liked the soundtrack to Garden State, you'll like this CD very much.

Would I recommend it
Whole-heartedly, it's excellent.  This album is a departure for Iron & Wine, it has more of a full band going on, where his earlier efforts were mainly just accoustic guitar.  The intricate compositions are amazing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:35:23 AM by SmilinJackRoss »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 08:02:17 AM »
I loved slacker until my company's firewall decided it didn't want me visiting it. Has its selection expanded. I really should visit it from home again.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 08:07:31 AM »
I've been thinking about that cd, SmilinJackRoss. I keep going to different download sites to listen to snippets of it, trying to make my mind up. I like the music but I'm not 100% sure about the guy's voice -- I usually like male singers with strong, clear voices (like Colin Meloy or John Darnielle). Maybe I'll just take the plunge and go ahead and download the damn thing, and we'll see what happens.
Bonhead #2
fs!!