login

Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 17216 times)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2006, 06:13:06 PM »
The bud was wearin' off, dude.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2006, 11:36:29 AM »
"Okay, macchiato for the young fella and a decaf for the old hippie." I fell off the couch. I dunno why I never noticed how much Gui-Gon looks like that guy at every Dead show with the elaborate taping setup.

Offline Inv8r_BILLY

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
Hmmm...torn about this one.  On the one hand, this film, one of the biggest cinematic dissapointments ever, DESPERATELY needed to be done.   The big problem with this film is that it's incredibly long, tedious, talky, and has a dull, convoluted, and ill-portrayed plot.  That being said, and god love Mike and Kevin for sitting through it however many times the writing took, it seemed like this really drifted into Beavis and Buthead territory with the commentary; the VAST majority of the track basically boiled down to "This Sucks", with few actual observations about what was happening onscreen.  Again, maybe this is becuase nothing much WAS happening onscreen.  Some of the complaints just made no damn sense (near constant bitching about CG effects as a running thing just pisses me off - would they rather have been sitting through a rubber monster movie?  Tiny, obvious models exploding?  It's effect work, and truth be told, for '99, some of the very best that had been done).  There just seemed to be so much sputtering malice toward the film that I couldn't help but keep thinking that if angry, semi-coherrant fanboys had recorded this track, it would have sounded much the same.  I dunno, maybe they should have just written this movie off as not do-able, or maybe this is where we should have heard Mike, Kevin AND Bill on the same track together.  Three Riffs are better than one, I always say...

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
I dunno, maybe they should have just written this movie off as not do-able, or maybe this is where we should have heard Mike, Kevin AND Bill on the same track together.  Three Riffs are better than one, I always say...

Agreed. I think the inclusion of Bill might just have led to perfection.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »
There just seemed to be so much sputtering malice toward the film that I couldn't help but keep thinking that if angry, semi-coherrant fanboys had recorded this track, it would have sounded much the same.

Au contraire.  Please examine the following semi coherent fanboy track in order to properly differentiate between the two:

http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/?p=1468

Offline jedi2187

• Schnappi Supporter
  • feets don't fail me now!
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2006, 09:44:37 AM »
There just seemed to be so much sputtering malice toward the film that I couldn't help but keep thinking that if angry, semi-coherrant fanboys had recorded this track, it would have sounded much the same.

Au contraire.  Please examine the following semi coherent fanboy track in order to properly differentiate between the two:

Listening to the first 5 minutes of the QS's podtrack, it sounds like a cross between deconstructing the movie and also the entire prequel trilogy. But this is their first, so I'm looking a little forward to other movies they'll review....
" LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes. " -Roger Murdoch, Airplane!

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1408
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2006, 11:13:20 AM »

Wow, they are angry.  Mike does seem quite reserved in comparison.  At first I felt like they were infringing on Rifftrax territory, but it's different enough.  Mike makes an effort to be entertaining and funny.  This is just complaining.  Which is good if you really hate the movie I guess.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2006, 08:24:45 PM »

WOW.

That's all that really needs to be said.

The Roger Rabbit being redesigned by Satan joke? BEST LINE EVER!!!

Special thanks to Saucy for getting us this riff!! Thanks again, buddy. Pak and I are forever grateful.
No problemo! I am big fan of the game Pac Man so you know...

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2006, 08:30:28 PM »
As for my thoughts about this rifftrax.

A+ probably in my top three now...

I loved when Kevin called Qui gon a "stupid Ninja" for not realizing that Padme was the queen....so awesome.

Great job guys!

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »
(first post, so; hiya)

This was the first Rifftrack I watched (I've also downloaded The Matrix and Trek V, just need to get around to renting or borrowing the damned movies from someone).

My opinion is sort of an amalgam of all of the above; while I thought it was wonderful to hear two MST3K voices back and there were some absolutely killer lines and observations, I could have done without the unimaginative parts of the Jar Jar-bashing, the scatology, the retching and the suicidal tendencies.

What I found a little jarring was the combination of the old SoL attitude of "What the hell is this?/I can't belive we have to watch this" with real-world Kevin and Mike obviously having seen the movie before and being aware of its background and creation.

On the whole, I'm positive. The complaints I mention above are minor niggles on the whole, and I'm really, really glad to see the guys back in action, both here and with the upcoming Film Crew DVD's.

It was great to hear a mention of the Norwegian puppet movie (and 70's children mainstay here in Sweden)  Fl?klypa Grand Prix (guys, if you ever have to mention it again for some reason, that first word is "Flow Kleepa"), because I remember thinking exactly that when I first saw Ep. 1 in the theater.

Maybe I'll go rent Trek V now...
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
Welcome to rifftrax Teaflax!

The Norwegian puppet movie was real?

Both Matrix and STV have a little bit of 'this movie sucks' bashing in them, Matrix more so than STV, but neither to the sort of extreme anger level seen in SWEp1 ;)  Hope you enjoy STV, it's my favourite.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 12:49:06 PM »
Welcome to rifftrax Teaflax!

Thankee. As long-time MST3K fan and fervent evangelist (I just wrote a piece on MST3K/RiffTrax/Film Crew for a Swedish humor site), it's a bit like coming home.

The Norwegian puppet movie was real?

Indeed it was. There was even a computer game released around the turn of the century.

Haven't seen the film in ages, but I remember it fondly, as does pretty much everyone in my age bracket (that would be around 40) here in Sweden.

Both Matrix and STV have a little bit of 'this movie sucks' bashing in them, Matrix more so than STV, but neither to the sort of extreme anger level seen in SWEp1 ;)  Hope you enjoy STV, it's my favourite.

I'm sure I will enjoy it. It's such a treat to finally have mainstream movies dissected and dismembered by the pros. I'm a bit wary of the Matrix one, though, because there's something about solo riffing that just strikes me as wrong. When there are two (or more) people involved, it's kind of like they're doing it for each other's benefit, and you lose that with one...or at least so I imagine (previous speculation based on viewing of 30 second excerpt from Roadhouse riff).

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »
*pssst* The Matrix is Mike and Kevin....

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
What I found a little jarring was the combination of the old SoL attitude of "What the hell is this?/I can't belive we have to watch this" with real-world Kevin and Mike obviously having seen the movie before and being aware of its background and creation.

I felt the same way. The faux "What is this?" attitude is a little weird when they make no secret of already being familiar with the movie. At least on MST3K they pretended it was their first viewing, even though they'd watched the movie numerous times to write the show. And I could live without the retching too. A little too realistic, Kev.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 05:07:11 PM »
*pssst* The Matrix is Mike and Kevin....
Yay!