login

Author Topic: "Snob Classics" - Mike dumps on some comedies  (Read 18680 times)

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: "Snob Classics" - Mike dumps on some comedies
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
I thought he was quoting Space Ghost.

The only thing of Kubrick's I've seen in A Clockwork Orange. I agree with the author of the novel who basically said something like, Kubrick took an intriguing story with a good message and turned it into a tasteless piece of pronography. Kubrick can suck a corndog.
Stephen King similiarly resented him for what he did to "The Shining." It was a pretty personal story about his alcoholic father and Kubrick pretty much turned it into a meaningless mess. I never much liked him.

That article about Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise ruining his movie seems like Karma to me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 11:14:20 PM by Dr.Impossible »
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »
I thought he was quoting Space Ghost.

The only thing of Kubrick's I've seen in A Clockwork Orange. I agree with the author of the novel who basically said something like, Kubrick took an intriguing story with a good message and turned it into a tasteless piece of pronography. Kubrick can suck a corndog.
Stephen King similiarly resented him for what he did to "The Shining." It was a pretty personal story about his alcoholic father and Kubrick pretty much turned it into a meaningless mess. I never much liked him.

That article about Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise ruining his movie seems like Karma to me.

Stephen King's view of the Shining was really one of the first things to turn me off of Kubrick personally.  I've never been a big fan of original works being changed around for the fancy of a filmmaker, especially when the entire message of the story is so utterly bastardized, such as the Shinging and A Clockwork Orange.  Say what you will about A Clockwork Orange being brilliant (for those of you who think it is), but the end of the film totally negates the meaning of the book (which I wasn't fond of either anyway), which to me makes the movie utterly meaningless. 

At least even Kubrick could admit what an awful piece of complete trash Eyes Wide Shut was.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1353
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2006, 11:55:06 PM »
The fact this thread involves people praising Wes Anderson and dissing Kubrick makes little babies around the world cry.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2006, 12:59:06 AM »
The fact this thread involves people praising Wes Anderson and dissing Kubrick makes little babies around the world cry.

Cause babies love Stanley Kubrick. (?)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:48:09 AM by Dr.Impossible »

Offline Bob M.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Think you can take me? Well, go ahead on.
    • Bob M. Montgomery Images
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2006, 05:15:34 AM »
And real men love Wes Anderson... wait, no, that's not it. Damn!

Um, I like pie?

;)
Bob M. Montgomery Images
Fine Art and Commision Photography
http://www.BMMImages.com/

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2006, 12:44:24 PM »

Come on, now. I like both filmmakers. They've both made good stuff. All right, so Kubrick may be better, but that's no reason to diss Wes Anderson. :)

Stephen King similiarly resented him for what he did to "The Shining." It was a pretty personal story about his alcoholic father and Kubrick pretty much turned it into a meaningless mess.

No, no, no. Kubrick IMPROVED on Stephen King's work. King is an okay writer, but he's nowhere near the caliber of Stanley Kubrick. The film adaptation of The Shining was much scarier and more interesting than the novel or the later miniseries, which were still pretty good, but not masterpieces to Kubrick's level.

And if you'll take a look at my avatar, you'll note another instance in which there was a disagreement between a filmmaker and the creator whose work was being adapted for the big screen. Like King and Burgess' disagreements with Kubrick, nothing ever came of this one, except for the original author making an ass out of himself (in the case of Fritz the Cat, Ralph Bakshi injected some political satire into the film adaptation that Robert Crumb never would have thought of, and made the character a less despicable feline, and so, since Crumb saw another person improve on elements from his own work, he ended the series by having an ice pick stabbed into the back of Fritz's head).
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
I like The Shining movie -- the kid, especially, is very good, and the mood is creepy.

But as is usually the case, the book provides a richer and more meaningful characterization of Jack -- a guy struggling to keep his family together in the face of slowly mounting pressures: his alcoholism, short temper, anxiety over creative limitations, lack of job security, and one seriously f-ed up isolated mountain resort hotel.

In contrast, Nicholson seems much more ready to pop from the get-go, and seems to require little provocation. Maybe partly because he's married to the weirdly fragile Shelly Duvall instead of Rebecca DeMornay as in the King mini-series (which had its own problems of course).

The Shining DVD has a great featurette shot by Kubrick's daughter on the set.  This was a time before all the Entertainment Tonight type shows, and the actors really seem unguarded and candid.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2006, 04:03:05 PM »
I like The Shining movie -- the kid, especially, is very good, and the mood is creepy.

But as is usually the case, the book provides a richer and more meaningful characterization of Jack -- a guy struggling to keep his family together in the face of slowly mounting pressures: his alcoholism, short temper, anxiety over creative limitations, lack of job security, and one seriously f-ed up isolated mountain resort hotel.

Agreed. I had to watch the movie and read parts of the book for a film course (and spent weeks complaining about it: "They're making me watch a horror movie! Aaauggh!") Of course, the movie is well made. But I found the book much deeper and more moving. In the book you see that Jack is trying to be a good husband and father, you follow his slow deterioration, and you really feel for him. Especially in that one awful moment when he comes to himself for the last time and tells his son to run. Whereas Jack Nicholson seems pretty much crazy from the get-go -- I mean, hello, he's Jack Nicholson!  ;D -- and I never got the impression, except in one short scene with his son, that he felt anything but contempt for his family. Although it was an impressive performance, no way was this an improvement on the book's Jack Torrance. Nor was the movie an improvement on the book, at least not for this viewer, because with that difference in characterization, it was so much colder and harsher and lacked the humanity of the book.

I never heard that about King's alcoholic father, but it makes sense.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Zillax0rz

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »
I wanted to post a long explanation on why Rushmore was funny to me, but then I started reading the existing replies and thought, "Jesus Christ, get a life, nerds!"

So instead, I'll just say what I'm feeling: "Fuck you, Wes Anderson movies are funny. So was Huckabees. SEEYA!"

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »
So instead, I'll just say what I'm feeling: "Fuck you, Wes Anderson movies are funny. So was Huckabees. SEEYA!"

I [heart] Huckabees sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked. Sucked.

As for The Shining: I didn't see it the way King did. Jack Nicholson was absolutely perfect for the role. I didn't watch it going "okay, it's Nicholson, so he's crazy." The movie is terrifying. The book doesn't have a whole lot of depth. Stephen King would like to convince you that it does, but it really doesn't. There's far more depth in the film than King would ever come up with. The film is absolutely perfect. Kubrick did everything right and King didn't like that.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:38 PM »
Oh yeah, that must be it. Writers absolutely hate seeing justice done to their work.  ;)
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »

As for The Shining: I didn't see it the way King did. Jack Nicholson was absolutely perfect for the role. I didn't watch it going "okay, it's Nicholson, so he's crazy." The movie is terrifying. The book doesn't have a whole lot of depth. Stephen King would like to convince you that it does, but it really doesn't. There's far more depth in the film than King would ever come up with. The film is absolutely perfect. Kubrick did everything right and King didn't like that.

You really need to learn to seperate yourself from your entertainment.  Just keep repeating...he's just a director.  You are honestly the most extreme person that I have ever seen rant on these message boards.  Tone it down man, because the more extreme you are, the less people will listen to you.  When you state your opinion as though it is fact, people are just going to ignore what you write after a while. 

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »

There's a lot of depth in the movie if you're one of those people who thinks ambiguity = depth.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2006, 12:57:37 AM »
You are honestly the most extreme person that I have ever seen rant on these message boards.

Thank you. I try to stand out. ;D

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2006, 02:39:24 PM »
You are honestly the most extreme person that I have ever seen rant on these message boards.

Thank you. I try to stand out. ;D
You must drink soooo much Surge.

SUUUUURRRRRRRRGEEEE!