Author Topic: "Snob Classics" - Mike dumps on some comedies  (Read 18384 times)

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: "Snob Classics" - Mike dumps on some comedies
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 10:40:06 PM »
The only thing that's more pretentious than someone pretending to like a movie in order to look intelligent is someone trying to look cool by pretending they can tell whether or not you're pretending.

Calling people or things "pretentious" is, in itself, pretentious.

You logic is utter nonsense.

Not at all. By "pretending" you know whether or not someone really likes something (when there's no way you really can) you're being pretentious in order to make yourself look more genuine in comparison. Quite simple really.

No, trying to defend you self-esteem by making nonsense statements is just that, nonsense.  We could argue about what the word pretentious means and how it can be used all day, but your argument doesn't work.
I think I just illustrated that it does.
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »

Actually you didn't, but if silly vague statements make you feel that you've made a point, go for it.

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 10:50:16 PM »

Actually you didn't, but if silly vague statements make you feel that you've made a point, go for it.
....says the man who refuses to back up his own argument, merely stating "your logic is utter nonsense." If you ever feel like expounding on your own vague statments be my guest.

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 10:54:42 PM »

....says the man who refuses to back up his own argument, merely stating "your logic is utter nonsense." If you ever feel like expounding on your own vague statments be my guest.

Okay, this following quote is pretty illogical, although I'm sure it sounded cool at the time.

[/quote]

Illogical = nonsense

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 06:15:55 AM by mrbakasan »

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »

Okay, this following quote is pretty illogical, although I'm sure it sounded cool at the time.

Illogical = nonsense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petitio_principii

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »

I bet this link is really awesome and profound to your argument, but I'm not going to bother reading it becaue this is getting pointless.  I'm going to bed, but make sure and tell all your friends that the word pretentious is really a paradox.  Wow.

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
I accept your surrender
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2006, 11:13:43 PM »

I bet this link is really awesome and profound to your argument, but I'm not going to bother reading it becaue this is getting pointless.  I'm going to bed, but make sure and tell all your friends that the word pretentious is really a paradox.  Wow.

The above link explains the logical fallacy of "begging the question," AKA "Circular logic." You should educate yourself a little.

P.S.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:17:14 PM by Dr.Impossible »

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2006, 04:40:32 AM »
I'm going to avoid the numerous pitfalls of commenting on any of these movies and rather just mention that the new Cracked magazine is damn good, especially the first issue's "You might be a douchebag" quiz. Do you wear your polo shirt collar up? Do you make prolonged eye contact with yourself in the mirror? Do you call guys who aren't you brothers "bro"? Do you wear you cellphone on your belt? You might be a douchebag.

Also, Dr. Impossible has the best userpic ever. overcompensating.com

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2006, 05:23:02 AM »
I'm going to avoid the numerous pitfalls of commenting on any of these movies and rather just mention that the new Cracked magazine is damn good, especially the first issue's "You might be a douchebag" quiz. Do you wear your polo shirt collar up? Do you make prolonged eye contact with yourself in the mirror? Do you call guys who aren't you brothers "bro"? Do you wear you cellphone on your belt? You might be a douchebag.

Also, Dr. Impossible has the best userpic ever. overcompensating.com

Shucks!

Yeah, I was thinking the new Cracked looked pretty good. Haven't run across it at any stores yet though.

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2006, 05:25:26 AM »
A person could easily be capable of appreciating both NatLamp's Vacation and Little Miss Sunshine.

Hey, I liked both too; I just thought the guy's comment was funny and deflated the "indie is definitively better than big studio" attitude that can exist.

Also I didn't think Mike was trying to argue that everyone who likes the movies in his article is faking it.  Just that there is a tendency among some folks to bump up the level of esteem, for hipness sake.  

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to praise Krzysztof Kieslowski's wonderful landmark 10-part series The Decalogue, despite having seen only 3 of them.  2.  Okay, to be honest, 1.  Half of 1.  I've seen the adverts.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
All criticism is a form of masturbation...
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »
Ergo we are all snobs.

I shall make no attempt to back this statement with any further arguments because it is the truth. 

Therefore, it is not pretentious. 

Consequently, I'm going to heaven. 

Where ice cream and ponies and other pleasurable things await.

So there.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: All criticism is a form of masturbation...
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2006, 05:47:47 PM »
Ergo we are all snobs.

No, we just all have opinions.  The list of movies is like any list of best or worst anything, nobody is going to agree on 90% of it.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline waffen

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »
 I loved rushmore. I got it when it came out on dvd. I try to keep in mind that it's only a movie and the only question that matters to me is "did I like it?" not "do other people like it?".

I have friends that don't "get" mst3k or rifftracks.  I didn't stop being their freinds because we don't find the same things funny. would they be "snobs" as well?

I'm sure that Mike loves some films that I detest. Life is like that.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
I'm going to assume that a few of you did not see Mike's column in the first issue of the new Cracked where he wrote of "five awful comedies you need to avoid."  So don't look for any Rifftraxs on Junior, The Master of Disguise, Little Nicky, It's Pat: The Movie, or Chairman of the Board.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked Little Nicky. It wasn't a masterpiece, it didn't change my life, it's probably not going to be well-remembered for generations to come, but it was funny. And apparently Quentin Tarantino thought so, too, as he agreed to play a small role in it. I think that the Mr. Deeds remake or Eight Crazy Nights would have made better choices for Mike's "avoid" list. I couldn't stand either of those.

Wow, I hope he wasn't being serious about the quality of those movies. I wouldn't want to think that Mike was a pretentious jackass in real life.

What's pretentious about mocking pretentiousness?

But none of the films Mike is mocking are pretentious. And they're all very good.

Give me John Carpenter over Stanley Kubrick any day.

The Shining is a better horror film than Halloween.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:40:45 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
I like pie.