login

Author Topic: DVD Cover  (Read 14342 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: DVD Cover
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 03:28:03 PM »

Offline DeadlyCinema

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • The Underworld Looks Better in Pink
    • Deadly Cinema: The Myspace Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
Great job! Aww, Mike looks so alone on the cover, heh.

Matthew
myspace.com/deadlycinema

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
My cover is finally finished. A few notes that I hope you'll read before downloading, because I put a lot of thought into it:

- I work for a company that puts content out on the web and, like Rifftrax, is probably concerned about piracy. I am also a filmmaker, and I have had the unpleasant experience of seeing my own work bootlegged by merchants when I myself was not able to make any money on my own film (it was a fanfilm). I have had to confiscate media from booths at conventions, and it's always a knockdown drag out fight because the merchants make up every excuse in the world ("I paid for the blank media and print cost.... I'm helping promote your film... it's not your copyright so you can't report me") and I don't always have proper documentation to legally prove it's my work. Even when I pop in the offending DVD and point at my face, it can be tiring. Also, the convention organizers don't want to scare away the merchants because they bring in a large amount of money, so they tend to side on the merchant when things are grey enough.

In any case, I've added a notice to my DVD cover here, and i'm going to add it on every one that i do (as i intend to make a collection). I would encourage anyone making DVD covers that are available to the public to do the same. For those who don't want to download the hi-res version, it reads:

Extremely Important, Semi-Humorous Disclaimer for Those of You in DVD Land

This DVD is intended as a backup or substitution media for those who legally own both a copy of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and its corresponding Rifftrax, by Michael J. Nelson. The packaging materials are provided by Christopher Hanel. Though this fan-made RiffTrax DVD contains no copy protection, the consumer has no right to provide any files obtained to any other party.  You may only make copies of any file obtained for your own personal use.  So there. If you or someone you know should find this DVD being sold as a bootleg by unscrupulous merchants at a convention or other store, they DO NOT have permission to do so and are morons to boot for selling it with this notice still here. Call them stupid to their face! (And then, of course, contact Rifftrax at support@rifftrax.com to report any piracy violations, mmmk?)

In any case, here's the cover and here's also the link to the hi-res version for print and download.

C&C are welcome. Cheers!

-Chris
"Could I recommend some jugglers you might like?" -- Bill Hicks

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »
I think you've done a great job for the most part, I like that you've added in the review quotes, that's something fairly unique so far, but not all that keen on the whole blocking Liams face bit.

Very nice work though.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
Thanks. When working on the arrangement for the front cover, I went through every arrangement manageable... Mike on Obi-Wan and Kevin on Qui-Gon, then I tried the other way around, then started trying Mike on Anakin... the main problem was that Qui-Gon's face just did *not* play well with any of the headshots I had with either, plus the major pain it was to match the hair to either of the two. (Kevin came closer, but the texture of his hair didn't blend unless i recolored all of Qui-gon's hair to match).

Finally, I just gave up on it and found both headshots that worked perfect for Kevin and Mike... Kevin's head on Obi-wan the way it is couldn't have been better, and who *wouldn't* scream in horror if they were Anakin? :D

So finally, I had the three on their respective bodies, with just Qui-Gon just kinda sitting there, blank look on his face, and it didn't work. So, I did what I thought Liam Neeson would want me to do: remove any notion that he had anything to do with his stinkburger.

-Chris

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »
Just a guess, but I am sure that this site has the least amount of "argh, pirate" types than most sites.

I mean, if you are too lazy to buy a $5 dvd, something is wrong with you.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »
Just a guess, but I am sure that this site has the least amount of "argh, pirate" types than most sites.

I mean, if you are too lazy to buy a $5 dvd, something is wrong with you.

I think it's more about laziness. As RiffTrax gains in popularity, I could easily see bootleg RiffTrax DVDs on sale at conventions, and we don't want any flak from that coming back to our friends at Legend.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
Exactly. I'm not worried at all about people on these boards, it's the people that see an opportunity to make a buck.

I guess I should explain better, I used to work for Theforce.net and currently have a film hosted there. I have never been to a convention where one of the films they provided *wasn't* being sold. And frequently, the packaging would just be whatever graphics were on the website. So, I speak from prior experience that putting a DVD cover out is inviting someone less than ethical to slap it on their DVD box and make it look as official as possible.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
I know what you mean.

Technically, by providing the DVD cover art, I am probably violating copyright laws.   This is a slipperly slop kind of arguement.   Even if hte ENTIRE purpose of me providing the art is to get folks to buy the DVDs to go along with the rifftrax.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:25 PM »
Yes, on a technical level, you probably are. The thing to remember with copyright law (or more specifically, fair use) is as it exists, there are only general guidelines for declaring what is fair use and what is a copyright violation. A judge hears from both sides on a case and then decides based on a few factors including:

-Whether you are attempting to impersonate the original author, or if it's clear that the work is derivative
-The purpose of the usage (is your intent satire or parody, or were you just lazy and didn't want to make your own works?)
-Whether you needed the original work to acheive the intent of your work
-If the purpose was for educational goals
-Whether you are charging for the work or not

After all that is said and done, the judge declares fair use or not. Given the circumstances of why and how you made that DVD cover, Lucasfilm could easily tell you to stop by sending a Cease & Desist, but they would probably not have a case for seeking restitution or other punishment.

One positive note i can pass on though is that Lucasfilm is extremely positive about fan works and the odds of you ever hearing from them over a DVD cover is extremely low.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 05:56:38 PM »
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
Well I for one feel a lot better about the covers I'm making knowing Chris Hanel is paid to do this kinda stuff.  Awesome man.   I'm doing the best I can on Photoshop LE with absolutely no training whatsoever. 

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
Kevin's head on Obi-wan the way it is couldn't have been better

Oh absolutely, looks fantastic.

Did you get to look over the LOTR competition stuff?

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »
One positive note i can pass on though is that Lucasfilm is extremely positive about fan works and the odds of you ever hearing from them over a DVD cover is extremely low.

That's one of the only things I've learned from Family Guy audio commentaries. Apparently Lucasfilm is always really cool about the show referencing them, and the biggest thing they ask it that the show portray Star Wars accurately, whereas most intellectual properties require an obvious parody. Which means we can get stuff like this:

And in return, the show references Star Wars lovingly, rather than in mean-spirited parody.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 05:23:38 AM »
Did you get to look over the LOTR competition stuff?

No, not yet. I've had a couple people tell me about the fan art contests and it just makes me wish I'd been around earlier.

<B>Raven</B>: Don't sweat it. I got started in Photoshop back in 1998 when the computer lab supervisor showed it to me and i've been self taught ever since. The first time i got an actual class on anything was a month ago for school. It's like anything else... keep working at it and be open to learning all the time, and you'll see your work steadily improve.