Author Topic: J.K. Rowling VS. Potter Lexicon  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: J.K. Rowling VS. Potter Lexicon
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
Orson Scott Card ripped Joanne a couple of new ones a few days back.  He pulls no punches.  Some highlights:

This frivolous lawsuit puts at serious risk the entire tradition of commentary on fiction. Any student writing a paper about the Harry Potter books, any scholarly treatise about it, will certainly do everything she's complaining about.

Rowling has nowhere to go and nothing to do now that the Harry Potter series is over. After all her literary borrowing, she shot her wad and she's flailing about trying to come up with something to do that means anything.

Talent does not excuse Rowling's ingratitude, her vanity, her greed, her bullying of the little guy, and her pathetic claims of emotional distress.

People who hear about this suit will have a sour taste in their mouth about Rowling from now on. Her Cinderella story once charmed us. Her greedy evil-witch behavior now disgusts us. And her next book will be perceived as the work of that evil witch.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »
Orson Scott Card ripped Joanne a couple of new ones a few days back.  He pulls no punches.  Some highlights:

This frivolous lawsuit puts at serious risk the entire tradition of commentary on fiction. Any student writing a paper about the Harry Potter books, any scholarly treatise about it, will certainly do everything she's complaining about.

Rowling has nowhere to go and nothing to do now that the Harry Potter series is over. After all her literary borrowing, she shot her wad and she's flailing about trying to come up with something to do that means anything.

Talent does not excuse Rowling's ingratitude, her vanity, her greed, her bullying of the little guy, and her pathetic claims of emotional distress.

People who hear about this suit will have a sour taste in their mouth about Rowling from now on. Her Cinderella story once charmed us. Her greedy evil-witch behavior now disgusts us. And her next book will be perceived as the work of that evil witch.

Ah, so you are a hatracker too steve-o? His article is what gave me the idea for this thread. But it was only a second blow as I read Ken Jennings (remember the ultimate Jeopardy guy?) blog on the topic and he rips her a new one too.

Though Orson Scott Card tends to wax a bit eloquent in his articles. It makes for good quoting material but sometimes he can be a bit extreme.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
Orson Scott Card rules!  I didnt really know much about him.  Anyone who uses phrases like "she shot her wad" in refrence to that stupid hack earns some awesome points in my book.  Orson Scott Card has just earned himself a new fan.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 01:15:21 AM »
Ender's Game is a book you will read from cover to cover if you pick it up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 03:01:03 AM by bettertomorrowamy »
On timeout

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 02:59:07 AM »
And it all comes full circle back to Rifftrax.  Card links to this page which lists tons of fiction that JK ripped off.  Among them is the mention that there is a similar looking character named Harry Potter in the movie 'Troll'.  Guess what OTHER movie is on the Troll DVD release?  Troll 2!  Dumbledore is Goblin spelled backwards!

http://www.geocities.com/versetrue/rowling.htm

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »

Not related to the lawsuit but I liked this part the best:

'It's like her stupid, self-serving claim that Dumbledore was gay. She wants credit for being very up-to-date and politically correct but she didn't have the guts to put that supposed "fact" into the actual novels, knowing that it might hurt sales.'

I thought that whole 'oh and by the way, Dumbledore's gay' thing was the dumbest, biggest attention whore move imaginable.  Jesus lady, you've made untold millions off a series of books that really weren't all that great when you come down to it.  Count your blessings (and your money) and retire in peace already.

Offline ImOscardotcom

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 10:17:39 AM »
Not related to the lawsuit but I liked this part the best:

'It's like her stupid, self-serving claim that Dumbledore was gay. She wants credit for being very up-to-date and politically correct but she didn't have the guts to put that supposed "fact" into the actual novels, knowing that it might hurt sales.'

I thought that whole 'oh and by the way, Dumbledore's gay' thing was the dumbest, biggest attention whore move imaginable.  Jesus lady, you've made untold millions off a series of books that really weren't all that great when you come down to it.  Count your blessings (and your money) and retire in peace already.

Eh, I don't really have an opinion on the gay thing. Not everything can make it into a book, and wants to reveal 'secrets' about her characters after the fact, well then she's free to do just that.

The lawsuit, however is not only bullshit, but as everyone will find out next year, it's hypocritical in the extreme...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/19/harrypotter.harrypotter

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
Ender's Game is a book you will read from cover to cover if you pick it up.

Just don't read the "Worthing" saga, as it's garbage.

Most of Orson Scott Card's books have a love or hate effect on his readers. There are some books of his that I hated, but his books about Bean, from Ender's Shadow will always be a few of my favorite all time books.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
Did Orson Scott Card forget that he sucks? This is like Spike Jonez criticizing Coppola.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
...that's like bratpop criticizing Hemmingway.
On timeout

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
That's like Caligula criticizing Julia Child.

wait... what?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
The hell?   :D
"Did she just say Chipping?"