Author Topic: divx file format  (Read 15080 times)

Offline Vortech

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: divx file format
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »
The ps3 will be divx certified (but is not yet) the 360 currently supports the divx codec, but is not certified and will not play rifftrax files.  

But as long as we are talking about devices, the FAQ says "some videos are intended for PC playback only. When you choose your movie, look for the symbol that tells you whether you can play it on TV with a DivX Certified device."  What would that symbol look like?  I don't see it on amy of them.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »
Update 2.10 firmware for PS3:
DivX playback is limited to non-copyrighted material under 2GB, and DivX 3.11 and earlier encoding is not supported.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3-firmware-update/ps3-divx-blu+ray-11-voice-changing-with-210-tomorrow-334706.php

So I'm guessing no R.O.D. until they can do the copyrighted material.  Booooo.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 06:22:05 PM »
The Terrible Truth with no DRM works like a champ on the PS3.

The mixing on the audio is pretty rough between the riffs and actual audio, but it works!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
The Terrible Truth with no DRM works like a champ on the PS3.

The mixing on the audio is pretty rough between the riffs and actual audio, but it works!

Yeah. The original audio was super-rough! I couldn't take it. I downloaded the original short from archive.org and I got rid of that terrible hiss and hum and then remixed the riff. I am glad they still included the mp3.  My mix came out pretty darn sweet if I do say so myself.  Whatever is used for the ducking is also way harsh.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
It seemed fine to me.. please explain "harsh".. (although I did watch the iPod version, although they should be rendered from the same source...

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »
It seemed fine to me.. please explain "harsh".. (although I did watch the iPod version, although they should be rendered from the same source...

To me the movie audio drops super fast to almost 0 volume and coupled with the condition of the original audio it was kind of distracting.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 05:35:18 AM »

To me the movie audio drops super fast to almost 0 volume and coupled with the condition of the original audio it was kind of distracting.

And the riffs were alot quieter than the original audio.  So it was going from ORIGINAL AUDIO to funny riffingBACK TO ORIGINAL AUDIO.

Offline Orv

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »
Does anyone know if these will eventually be offered in a format that isn't Windows-only?  It looks from DiVX's site that you need the Windows version of the player to play these files.  (It looks like I could use a DiVX certified DVD player, but when I click the link to search Best Buy on DiVX's site it looks like those currently start at $160 and go up from there, which is pretty steep for a DVD player these days.)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
You should be able to use the latest Mac player to watch the divx files as well. We have several Apple notebooks that we've tested the system on and it's worked fine. If it doesn't work for you, let us know.

Offline Orv

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »
Also, all the shorts are now available in a variety of formats, none of them contain DRM, and eventually the full length movies will be DRM free as well.  This topic will cease to affect any of our VOD content.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
hooray!

Offline kitesarefun

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »
eventually the full length movies will be DRM free as well.  This topic will cease to affect any of our VOD content.

Newbie question: DivX is a type of DRM? So then the full length movies will be available in various formats just as the shorts are now?

When we can expect this?

In the meantime, there's no way to convert a DivX file to mpg?

I'm really disappointed because I just bought 'Missile to the Moon' only to find that in order to watch it on TV I'd have to buy a whole new dvd player with this obscure (AFAIK) DivX capability, which I can't imagine needing for any other purpose. And maybe new burning software too?

This is a bit of a shocker because I've been burning and watching DVDs of RiffTrax shorts with no problem and then I suddenly run into this situation.

*Technically* I could watch it on my computer but I have never watched any movie on it - in my office, hard desk chair, small screen, lousy speakers, no place for friends to sit, etc.

Feel I should end on a positive note, so I'll just add that RiffTrax ROCKS :-)

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »
The Divx that we use no longer has DRM.  A file can be encoded as a Divx file and not have DRM, which is what we now have on all our VOD content.  You should be able to convert this to whatever format you want to.

Offline kitesarefun

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »
You should be able to convert this to whatever format you want to.

Okay good. So how do I get the DivX file onto a DVD that plays in a regular DVD player? Neither of my DVD burning programs, Roxio Creator DE or DVD Fab Platinum, accepts DivX files.

Thanks!